My suit WIP

Yautja Sai Kon

Hey guys, and girls, I am one of the new guys in town.
Well I guess since I have started making a pred suit I might as well make my own WIP thread so here it be's.

So far I have searched through the numerous huntorials [which are all great!] and found one that I wanted to start with.
Using Vinmanmac's AVP Armor Templates.[Great tutorial!] I got some materials together and started on some foamie armor parts. I wanted to start with the waist area first.

On a personal note, I absolutely dislike the way the preds looked in AVP. I just thought it was way too much armor they wore. With my suit im gearing towards a P1 look, but not exactly the same. The model that I want to base it after precisely is the new predator character that has appeared on the screens for the new AvP3 game, with a few little tweaks here and there.
Pics:

The only armor I want to add to what you see in the pics is thigh armor and that's it. I think the P1 look was good because he didn't have much so much armor and it made him look sleeker, more deadlier, and more badass. So over the past few days I started with the belt buckle and thigh armor using Vinmanmac's huntorial. Below are pics from start to finish.

Phew! This all took about a days work. The armor pieces are a little shinier than the pics show, but I didn't want them high glossy in the first place. I used Krylon Fusion Hammered Silver for the base and Metallic Black for the weathering and Krylon Satin Acrylic Clear Finish to seal them in. I have them taped to a large camping foam roll [which will be used to do the backpack] and have them glued together and hopefully the glue dries to the shape of the roll! if not ill have to figure out a way to shape them to curve a little and stay curved. The weathering did not come out the way I had hoped because the paint dried REALLY FAST and didn't give me much chance to wipe some excess away in time. The next piece I want to work on would be the cod piece and by the looks of the AvP3 screens, it'll be almost identical to Wolf's cod piece from AVP:R. After I get that done I will try to find some really light brownish fabric to make the whole waist set up to get everything attached. If anyone knows where I could get some small skulls like the ones the hunter in the avp3 screens [for the sake of it ill just name him ZaZin] has, please let me know! I'm slowly getting my pieces to build the suit so this probably will take some time and I will update whenever I get another piece completed. Any tips from you experienced hunters would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Off to a good start mate. Think its great when people scratch build their suits and come out with great results, some of us aren't nearly as talented and leave it to the pros

I also have one of those dummy security cameras coming in and I also am about to get one of the Desktop Defenders in and I will try to make a decent working Shoulder cannon out of both of them.
Dummy Security Camera
Desktop Defender Cannon
Once I start that project ill put up pics and vids of the project. If it weren't for the GREAT huntorials on the site, I doubt I would have the courage to attempt a pred suit!

lookin good man!!

Thank you!
I also just stumbled upon something that I thought might actually work. I was browsing on ebay for something to make a full body skin with for cheap and I found this Wolverine Costume that has foam muscles built into it and it looks like it has just enough muscle shape to make a presentable pred body. Not too much, not too little. What do you guys think? Is this do-able?

Hey man, you can make your foamies "hold shape" by putting them in the oven on a cookie sheet, while on the lowest setting for about 10-20 mins (somewhere in there). After you take them out, hold them on the shape until they cool off and they will hold the shape and become a little stiff, too. Hope that helps.

Hey man, you can make your foamies "hold shape" by putting them in the oven on a cookie sheet, while on the lowest setting for about 10-20 mins (somewhere in there). After you take them out, hold them on the shape until they cool off and they will hold the shape and become a little stiff, too. Hope that helps.

Dang, I bet its to late now that I have painted them huh

I tried searching on here but I couldn't find a specific topic that dealt with how a bio mask fits over another mask. Do you have to wear half masks in order to fit the bio or can you wear a bio over the full mask/mouth closed?

Well, it kinda depends (mostly preference) Some guys like Ruffkintoy make bios that go over a full face mask, other guys make em to fit over half masks...or you can just find a bio you like and a mask and make them fit together. Be warned though, vision in a full face mask is limited more than just a bio, so if you have a full face mask underneath a bio, you will have a even more limited vision. Not to say that is terrible, but that is one of the drawbacks. Just make sure your happy with your set-up.

Thanks man. Its hard to find cheap half masks so I might have to go with the full mask set up and just find a bio thatll work for it. Appreciate the input!

Tomorrow I plan on building my cod piece, wolf style, and possibly checking the local hardware store for some PVC material to construct a Naginata, which is my favorite predator weapon of all time. I'm thinking it shouldn't be hard to construct using pvc pipe and some foam work.
There's many different versions of the naginata/glaive but the look I am going for is this:
glaive.jpg.png

I have a desktop defender coming in from ebay that I will be using to try to make a decent plasma cannon, pics here:
prodpic-3464.jpg

I'm thinking if I can find a wire that I can extend the length of the controller to the actual mount, that I can run the wire to a gauntlet and I can configure the buttons into a bomb gauntlet so I can move the cannon via gauntlet computer. Anybody know of any tips to make this cost effective and easy let me know!!

I also have checked out vinmanmac's huntorial on great stuff foam feet and I think once my fiance [who is semi-supportive of my obsession, but gotta love her!] finds me some cheap platform's, I will begin working on that project, something I am really eager to do.

Basically I am one of the guys who will be making a budget suit, but I want to put as much work into it as possible to make it look great!
I believe the only things that I will be dropping a considerable amount of money on will be the bio and mask. Everything else I will try to do cost efficiently as well as accurate. Also, if anyone knows where I could get some small animal bones/1:1 skulls, could you please point me in the right direction? I'd hate to have to start slaughtering the local pests in order to obtain some decorations for me suit >=]

Thank you!
So today I went to the hardware store and picked up a 3ft piece of 4 inch sch. 40 pvc pipe, and a heat gun. I cut the pipe in two half moon 3 ft long pieces and began the heating process to one of the halves.

I printed a biiiig picture of the naginata the pred is holding in the above pic and used that for reference. I traced the outline on the inside of the pipe and, using my brother's air powered dremel, cut the blade out. The whole task took about an hour or two and I will be using the same process to cut the other blade out. I am thinking about using either 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch for the middle handle part, and I am guessing this naginata will end up being about 6-7 feet long by the time I am completed.

I have a lot of sanding down, trimming and evening the lines on the blade before it would be paint ready, and I want to heat it up again to flatten it some more, so this build may take a week or more to get the whole thing done. I wanted to go with the 4 inch sch. 40 pipe because its pretty strong and rigid, and its really thick so sanding down parts of it to mimic the edge of a blade should make it look very realistic.

So far I have just the one blade picture cut out, and I have to go through the whole heating, flattening, tracing and cutting stage for the second blade. I will try to finish that today if possible.
Here are pics!

011fhh.jpg.png

009ymc.jpg.png
012cja.jpg.png

013onz.jpg.png

014bnn.jpg.png

What you guys think so far?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back