My Sandtrooper weathering progress pics....

sithlord23

Hey all, so I've been slowly working on my first stormie suit. I chose to do a TD. It's an FX suit, that I will modify to be a little more accurate. It's going to be for trooping with my garrison, so it'll get some wear on it... Also the bucket is an FX. This is not what I'll use for my final trooping set up. I plan on getting something a little more accurate size wise...But, this is nice to learn how to paint & weather on, and it will become a nice shelf display ;).

I used different acryllic paints, and diluted them with water in a spray bottle. A little black spray paint misting. A little dragging the pieces thru gravel :D....a little of everything.

So, if anyone has any criticism, advice, tips, etc....Lemme know. Comments are always welcome. Thanks much for looking.

Click on images to enlarge 'em.

Looks good, you may want to consider giving it a layer of Fullers Earth. It gives it a more dusty appearence. That recommendation aside, it's a nice weathering job. :thumbsup

Looks GREAT.. I love working with acrylics too as I painted up my Sandy helmet with them also. The addition of a more screen accurate helmet will definitely make it fantastic. There is also a guy on here every so often and also on ebay that has Sandtrooper molded Ab. plates sized to the GT proportions along with Sandtrooper diamond kneeplates that go for $50 for the pair. I picked up a set for my GT armor and am glad I did. That with the AP helmet is a really nice suit.

Steve

Hey thanks guys. Much appreciated.:)

Seth B.- what is this Fuller's Earth you speak of? Lemme know when you can. I'm interested. I needed something to "dust" the armor with.

DL 44- Thanks man. I really like using acryllics. I use 'em on my Fett bucket, and they work great. And, I've already got to work on the ab & knee plates. I'm gonna try and do 'em from scratch, with scrap sintra.

Nice work buddy, weathering is harder than it looks. You have done a great job.

BTW I have a nice TE sandtrooper bucket in the junkyard if you fancy upgrading.LOL

Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seth B @ Apr 22 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]1231126[/snapback]</div>
Fullers Earth is fake dirt. It's a very fine dust, you hit your armor with some hairspray, then sprinkle it on. Buff some off, more hairspray, more fullers, buff, etc. A little goes a long way. (I used natural & slate grey)
http://www.cineshoppe.com/fullers1.htm

Here is a weathering tutorial that utilizes the fullers;
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/davin/replica_weathering.htm
Hope that helps.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Garda @ Apr 25 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]1233193[/snapback]</div>
Where do you pick up fullers earth?.... and please don't say your back yard.
[/b]

This is what ihave done with my costume. It is in reality allot more textured but the bright light kills the details a bit so i plan to take new photos. I also added Blaster points and its not just painted the are in fact torched in with a lightet. As well as in areas i added electronic board behind the holes to make it look like a tecnical armor under the blast holes.

You done a great weathering. It looks like he has been out for many years in the dessert. I Really like it. Good job.

My personal goal was to make it look the stormtrooper was in battle on ground rather than desert i chose oil and smoke appearence as weathering by using paint spray and spunge.
Before i did all of that i open my window in my room and i started heating up the blastmark with a torch lighter. It made the plastic soft in the area i was heating. (PS make sure the point is above the lighter to get a round mark. If you want a strafeshot tilt the armor the way you want it to be stafeing.
Once you heat up the armor it will become soft in that area. Press with your thumb (watch heat) or other item to make the dent in the armor. In some areas tear of the plastic from behind and you will get a hole going trought all depending on how seriouse damage you want. Other areas like the back i heated it ut from the outside first then forced it inward. I then toor apart the plastic from the inside and then heated it up again to force the plastic back outwards to make it look like it was a direct hit and it was a blowback from the iterior comonents of the armor. I use radio and old computer boards and glued them on the inside of the armor. So when people look at the damage they dont just se a hole.. They accually se something making them ask them self allot more questions that just a hole.

1144608893824_STORMTROOPER_STRONGER_DETAILS.JPG

1145071143934_STORMTROOPER_1.JPG

1147477885623_STORMTROOPER_5.JPG

1146153648662_STORMTROOPER_2.JPG

1144699044501_STORMTROOPER_4_BACK_BLASTMARK_JPEG.JPG

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sithlord23 @ Apr 21 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1230576[/snapback]</div>
I used different acryllic paints, and diluted them with water in a spray bottle. A little black spray paint misting. A little dragging the pieces thru gravel :D....a little of everything.
[/b]

I'm getting ready to weather my suit and I was thinking of doing some type of spray-bottle weathering. What ratio of paint and water did you use? And what technique did you do? Did you do layers and wipe in between? I think it came out great, I hope mine ends up that good.

Ian, I used very little paint, maybe about a tea spoon, with about a cup of water. I mixed a couple of colors. And layered & wiped. Let it dry, and added more mixed colors(browns, a little black, gray). Play with water & paint levels though. I liked more paint, it wasn't as watery, a little easier to control. Good luck.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back