My Predator Mask Construction

Termokk

Hey guys, this is the first time im gonna try to post some pictures on the sight. Let me know if you can see this picture. It is the first pull from my molds i made last week, and i appolagize about the quality i had to use my cell phone. I have more pictures of the molding process and some beter ones of this mask with my friends camera, i will be posting them shortly. I left the tips of the mandibles off for now, and they will be cast seperate, as will the dreads. I am completing the sculpture of the dreads now and i will post them here soon! Thanks for looking.

509206652_1793062822_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey here are a few more pics of the pull and the front half of the mold. This is just a raw slush cast latex pull. I am going to be making them with a soft polyfoam infill, that will take up any gaps between your head and the rubber of the mask. This should make it keep its shape, and move more naturaly when worn. I put a WIP picture of the dreads i am making. And comments are appreciated!
100_0815.JPG

100_0825.JPG

100_0828.JPG

Pictures of the sculpture and how I did the mold are still to come also. As i complete the mandibles and the dreads i will show them. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the little hair/ whiskers he has on his face? I figured they are to narrow to make a mold of becuase the latex will form an air bubble and not get down to the bottom, so i was thiking about dunking a pice of mono-filiment or somthing into the latex and building it up? Any thoughts? I will be sculpting a series of bio-masks that will be made to custom fit this face, and they will be interchangable. I am glad to be amonst such good company and talent here, you are all great!

your mold looks really great, nice and clean! where abouts in CO are ya?

EDIT: well no wonder your mold is so nice, having been pro and all.

people use a couple of different things for the quills
bake and bend sculpey
aquarium grass painted black
rubber mats

keep up the good work!

I am in south central colorado. My buddy owns a tatto shop in colorado springs, and he is also from the hollywood special effects scene. Thanks for the info about the quills, and all the compliments! I have never heard of bake and bend sculpy, i will have to check it out!

Hey guys, this is the first time im gonna try to post some pictures on the sight. Let me know if you can see this picture. It is the first pull from my molds i made last week, and i appolagize about the quality i had to use my cell phone. I have more pictures of the molding process and some beter ones of this mask with my friends camera, i will be posting them shortly. I left the tips of the mandibles off for now, and they will be cast seperate, as will the dreads. I am completing the sculpture of the dreads now and i will post them here soon! Thanks for looking.

Looks awesome! The detailing looks great, and I can tell that you put a lot of time and quality into your work. I bet this will look great when it's painted.

Hello all! I finaly got the pictures of the sculpture and the mold making process from my buddy so here they are! I know the order is kinda backwards, but i work with what i got lol. The sculpture was done in a number 2 roma clay, and i put up several picks of it. The molds were al done in ulrta-cal 30, backed with burlap. More to come!

hunter19.JPG

hunter18.JPG

hunter22.JPG

hunter11.JPG

hunter3.JPG

hunter6.JPG

thanks for posting pics of the molding. i really like looking at those. always trying to improve my molding.

Daman

Hi im new to this how do u get the very basix start od thw mould and are there any good guides or printouts for best results? Thx peeps

Hi im new to this how do u get the very basix start od thw mould and are there any good guides or printouts for best results? Thx peeps

Hello friend! I am not entierly sure what your question is, but i think you want to know how to start the molding process on your sculpture? I use water based clay (or disneys wed clay) to build up an edge where the highest, or thickest part is to prevent the molds from locking over an undercut. The third picture down on the sculpture post shows this. Then keys are added onto the clay to make it so the mold will lock together, withour being able to slide around on itself when you make the back. When the first side is hardened, then it can be flipped over and heavily vasalined to separate the ultracal, and keep it from sticking to itself. (next picture) I added pry points and marked them with black marker so you cant loose them during molding. Then when both sides are cured, i usualy wait overnight to give it enough time to fully cure. The longer ultracal sits the harder it gets. Then CARFULY begin to pry the molds apart!

*update* I have made the dread molds and i am going to pick up the black latex i will need to make them today. I will have pictures of the dreads and the mandibles soon!

Hey its me again. Got all what i need ready pretty much just got a few final questions if you dont mind helpin out with?
1) did you do the original mould on a manaquin head? If not wats the best soloution?
2) what is the best thing to use/make the mandibal teeth from?
3) when constructing the mould and latex covering did you do the whole mask layout (front,sides,neck and back of head) in one or sections? just i imagine it would be hard to remove the final latex mould after its set? I got the dreads already and was wondering the best construction techniques for the back of the head so they can be attached as easy as possible.

Thankyou to any help or advice you can give me.

Thankyou for your time

Pete (Krakan)

K i will try to answer in order.

1- The head I sculpted it on was a lifecast of myself.

2- I am making my mandibles out of latex, but you could use almost anything for the teeth becuse they dont have to flex - but i would say that latex or a 2 part epoxy resin would be good too. I dont have the samples in front of me but i know smooth-on makes a variety of pourable rigid plastics.

3- Not to sure what your asking but i will try to explain, i sculpted the whole head as one, then molded it at the widest point into 2 pices. It may have slight undercuts in it but it wont realy matter becuase you are pouring latex into the mold, and it is very flexible so it will come out with out any trouble. As for the back of the head i just made little holes where the dreads fit into and they can be glued or latexed in.

Hope that helped!

The first of the dreads have been made! I have been fine tuning thickness and polyfoam mixtures to get the right jiggle. I have been trying to shoot a little video and post it of it wiggling, but so far no luck. I will try to get it up shortly. The dreads arent fully refined yet, they still have a bit of crystal clear on them from the molds. I took a snap mold of the face, and i am almost done sculpting the mandibles. I will post those very soon as well! Thanks for looking!

100_0845.JPG

Looking sweet man! Got my dreads done already but need to sort out the gold ring thingys. Got ny mask done now thanks to your help, got a slight issue with the neck part bein too thin to fit over my head tho lol might need to either cut a slit in the back or try and stretch it, but im afraid of ripping it lol, will try and get some pics up.

Hello again! I have been slaving over dread and mandible molds and i am almost done! I only have one dread mold atm, but i am making a few more in the next couple days. These mandibles are the first pull from the molds and are still a little rough but i wanted to post some progress pictures. They have some airbubbles and i have another set poured up but they are still drying. I ordered a new airbrush capable of spraying the rubber cement paint i will be using on it and i should be able to begin the paint up in less than a week! Keep in mind these all all just rough progress, there is still little goobs of alginate on the face from when i life casted it to make a solid base to sculpt the mandibles on. I have only been able to make 11 dreads so far but i need a full 36 for the head so i just pushed them up against it so you could see the size and look of it. The mandibles are just set on there too, thats why i had to lay it back, i need to paint the inside of the mouth before attaching them. Thanks for looking.
100_0901.JPG

RoughPred___Copy.JPG

nice one man it looks way more kickass with the teeth in i cant w8 to see it all finished and painted mate
i have to admit it was lookin kinda cartoony before the teeth in my opinion but with the teeth thats just gone away now and become full blown kickass

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back