My Predator build

PredatoRay31

Hello everyone.
I don't have a lot of money and have no talent with sculpting or fiberglassing (tried and failed on many occasions). But I seem to have a knack for making costumes from common stuff and modding other stuff. I have some friends with decent Predator costumes and I wanted to join them during their ventures. I'm currently the Assistant Manager for the props and costuming department of IMAGICON in Alabama. Now I know someone will hit me up for accuracy, I will do my best but I feel every Predator is different and their own hunter. I also try to make costumes on a budget and $300 to $400 is my max. I feel I will be well inside that. This will be a long post as I will try to explain what I have done so far. I will reply to this post with pictures too, progression then completion.
Here is what I've done so far. I have gotten things from Harbor Frieghts, WalMart, Hobby Lobby, eBay, Lowes, and RadioShack--that's it!

Mask and Helmet: Rubies Supreme Latex mask with plastic Bio Helmet, not the greatest but can be modded.
Mask: Added dreads by cutting Soaker Hose material in to specific lengths (I think 22") tapering the ends, wrapped them in electrical tape then dipped them in Black PlastiDip (Lowe's). I then found PVC piping that fit snuggly over the soaker hose material, which I cut into various small sizes, painted silver, and used as the dreadlock beads. I cut the eyes out so mine can be seen. I got PolyFoam (2" thick from Hobby Lobby) and used it to bulk the mask up inside. I also trimmed the back of the mask so it tapers in and doesn't stick out so far.
Helmet: I trimmed the top becuase it was too long to me. I repainted it using Rustoleum-Metallic Charcoal color spray paint (Lowes). Added Mesh material to eye area (Hobby Lobby). Edged the mask in Looming (to make it more ridged). I added a Tri-Laser look by drilling out the Tri-Laser holes in the mask, added 3 LEDs using 3 silver LED holders, all powered by a 3vdc, 2032 button cell battery and holder. All Electronics are from RadioShack. I also glued in place a rectangluar Magnet (RadioShack) to the inside of the Mask and Helmet. this works perfect to put the mask on and take it off easily.

Waist Armor: Cheap car mating cut up and painted using the Rustoleum- Metallic Charcoal color spray paint. Mated together using rivets on a leather belt--painted as well. The paint will stay sticky for a while but will eventually dry. I think the propellant and car matting material has something to do with hindering the drying process. I did use a low heated space heater to help the drying process.

Shoulder Cannon: Modified fake security camera. I like this one because the fake camera is $6 at Harbor Frieghts. It's motion activated to move left and rigth---awesome. I also got a recoding module from Radio Shack and wired in a 10mm Red LED to the Cannon. I found a sound file of the cannon firing, recorded it to the module and cut the mic and record button from the module (so I don't accidently loose it by hitting the record button). Now the Cannon can be fired with sound and a blinking light (inside the cannon's muzzle).

Spear (Combi Stick): I used PVC in 3 different sizes with couplings. I don't remember the sizes. Two of them are already cut into 2' lengths. The photo should help. The tricky part was getting it to slide out without falling apart. I used spring tensioned plastic rollers for sliding screen doors (Lowes) and rivets on washers. I can flick the stick and the ends slide out, then I can push them in to have it retracted. Works great. If you need better detail. Reply to this post or email me, I will do my best to help.

Gauntlets: The gaunlets are actaully Motocross Knee & Shin Amor (eBay) The upper area was seperated and became the underside of the arm gauntlet. I used two hinges and a tension clasp (Lowes) to lock the gauntlets to my arm. Left Computer Gauntlet: I used a project enlcosure from RadioShack, cut it down, hot glued it in place, cut out some squared openings for the numbers. I will use a blinking LED inside to make the numbers blink when I push and hold the momentary switch (RadioShack). They will not change.
The right Guantlet w/ blades: I used a long plastic lightswitch box (Lowes) for the housing and modified it to hose the blades. Cut the blades from Lexan platic sheeting (Lowes), added a sliding system (drawer slides from Lowes), added a spring (Lowes) and added a pring tensioned locking clasp for drawers (Lowes). In short, I can lock the blades back then pull on a string wrapped around my two fingers (that will be hidden) and the blade will slide forward. I can go into more detail if needed. Again, reply to this post or email me.

Shoulder Armor: Again I used car mating and just painted it. It's all on how you cut it up. I added some strap webbing and clips (Wal-Mart). I have no pics of this yet.

I have the upper torso coming (eBay) using the "The Situation" costume for the muscled upper torso. I plan on covering it in liquid latex and painting it--predator style. I have the body netting (decoration fishing netting on eBay). I have the shin armor coming (motocross knee/shin armor from eBay). I have the feet coming (latex gorilla feet from eBay). I used gorilla feet because the thumb digit sits back like the Predators feet. All I need left to purchase is the legs and shoulder bells. So far I'm just under (barely) $300, and may just go over it slightly. Comments are welcome. Remember---constructive criticism.

If anyone needs help with what I've done, reply to this post or email me and I will try to do my best help.

I don't know how to post pictures yet to this site. So here is a link to my Facebook page to see my progression of the costume build. The album is public so everyone can see it.

Predator build: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9901...mp;l=6379de7bb1

Also you can see my other costume projects.
Darth Vader: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3258...mp;l=0322eff757

Mortal Kombat--Scorpion: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9939...mp;l=eb9329a8ad
and SubZero: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3258...mp;l=e45f1c2be2

Friday the 13th- Jason: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9105...mp;l=f64dd9bd2a

Hi There!
I also started low budget!
Really like your Gauntlets and blades!

Don't rush! The mistake i made. You can also make may stuff from foam/Foamies.

Update:
The Mask and Helmet are completd. The Gauntlets are complete. The Waist Accent Armor and Shoulder/chest (pauldron style) armor with Cannon is complete. The Spear is Complete. ----Phew!!!! I will not be using "The Situation" as the upper body suit. It uses a harder foam for the muscles, does not move like I want it too. I'm going the "Mr. Incredible" costume route. I think what I may do is the cheaper "no muscles" "Mr.Incredible" costume. I'll add the upper muscles from "The Situation" costume I have then just create muscles for the legs. I plan to cover it all in several layers of liquid latex.
I will post pictures of everything I have done so far...very soon.
What's left: Shoulder bells, Shin Armor, hands, and feet. For the feet I bought cheap latex Gorilla Feet from eBay. The hands are the latex Predator hands they sell on eBay. I plan to modify them as the have a lot of room in the forearm area and would like it tighter around the forearms.
To be continued........

So far, so good. I just got my "Mr. Incredible" suit and applied the first layer of liquid latex. I'm going to post some pics of what I have done so far.

SDC11781.JPG

SDC11785.JPG

Here are some pics of my Predator costume in progress. The Computer Arm Gauntlet lights up when I hold the red button. I researched the Yautja language and tried to spell "BOOM"--get it? LOL. The Right Blade Arm Guantlet can be retracted in about 4 to 5 inches and is spring loaded to extend. I have a string that wraps around my finger and when I give it a sharp tug---the blades extract. The spear is completed. Not accuarte to any movie combi-spear but I wanted to make it my own and so I can take it to events. And that's a picture of me in the mask, helmet and waist armor. I wired 3 LEDS where the tri laser would be on the helmet. The helmet is magnetically held to the mask. I glued a strong ceramic magnet to both the inside of the mask and inside of the helmet, making sure the attracting poles are facing each other---works great on this light, cheap helmet. Would have to use several for a heavier helmet.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

SDC11756.JPG

SDC11760.JPG

SDC11772.JPG

SDC11774.JPG

SDC11749.JPG

Preadoray5.jpg

I think the wrist blade gauntlet looks pretty F'in badass.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks.
I created the blades from plastic Lexan sheets from Lowes. I made the arm gauntlet from motocross knee/shin armor I bought on eBay and a home electrical outlet/light switch housing box at Lowes. With some clasps, springs, drawers slides, door hinges and other stuff from Lowes. When I go to Lowes I see prop parts everywhere. For instance, metallic sink tubes can be used as lightsaber hilts and I can make tons of stuff from PVC piping. I have a mind that thinks waaaaay outside the box-LOL!

I may redo the blades. I found great detailed pics of the blades and noticed a big difference from the actual movie ones and mine. My blades curve up and then down, ending at the bottom edge of the blade were it began; to put it another way--ending at the same symmetrical line. If you look at blades from the movies they begin to curve down from were they come out from the gauntlets. I have enough plastic sheeting left, so I may go back and redo them...maybe not. I traced a pattern I made onto the plastic sheet and cut it out with a jigsaw. Then I shaped and smoothed out the edges with my dremel.
The plastic Lexan sheets at Lowes are pretty cheap. I used Latex Metallic Spray paint, which needs no primer.

I created all kinds of props-----Mortal Kombats SubZero Ice Sword, Ghostbusters Ecto Goggles, Left 4 Dead Video game Pipe bomb that blink s and beeps like in the game. My next prop is the ADAM Syringe the little sisters carry in the video game Bioshock. I found a great tutorial that made it look pretty easy and fun to do.

Thanks a lot, everyone's input is greatly appreciated. Even the bad stuff= constrcutive criticism.

I made that totally from PVC piping, PVC fittings, fuax leather from a hobby store, some wooden dowels, and black Zip Ties. Also, even though you can't see it, Spring tensioned screen doors rollers, and rivets from Lowes. Each part of the spear slides out by flicking it or pulling them out, but you have to push them in for full retraction.

I think I went into good details in the first post. I can provide further, in-depth, details---if you (or anyone) needs it.

FYI,
2nd layer of Latex on the "Mr. I" suit. I mixed latex paint (Khaki color) to the liquid latex. I used a ratio of 3:1. 3 parts liquid latex to 1 part latex paint. Seems to be working great. Enjoy.

SDC11804.JPG

Update:
I messed up the Mr. I Suit. Because I didn't do the right thing and make a Duct Tape Dummy of myself, the Mr. I suit shrank the upper torso so much that it doesn't fit me anymore. I can use the legs and have cut them off and will add them to a HULK costume. Will post pics when done.

As far as the rest of the costume, I have attached pictures of my progress. Just from the pics I'm going to make some changes. Like the Groin armor piece will become skinnier, I think it looks too wide. I'm going to reposition and add more dredlocks (I still have 10 left that can go on the head). Some info on the costume. The shoulder bell is a thick childs Skateboarding helmet. I removed the foam insert and painted it up. I used a bicycle helmet to keep the Predator Mask on my head and it had an accent piece that I added to the shoulder bell. The shoulder cannon moves left and right and is motion activated, I used one of those motion activated fake security cameras. So here are the pics:

182824_1869247936055_1386784276_2195048_4928280_n.jpg

182772_1869247376041_1386784276_2195044_2811017_n.jpg

181590_1869245135985_1386784276_2195032_6733150_n.jpg

181695_1869242175911_1386784276_2195015_3403500_n.jpg

Update:
Not much has been updated to the costume as I am in Iraq for work, but I did get my hands on a Falconer BioMask. I know someone will criticize the fact I'm not making a Berzerker Clan Predator using the Falconer Mask. I think a Hunter Clan Predator would look awesome with the Falconer BioMask. I hate the Rubies BioMask because it is super thin and I can already see it won't last. I may re-enforce it but I may just sale it since I got the new BioMask.
I picked up this one for $40 on ebay (what a deal) it is fiberglass but needs some modifications to bring it up to par. I plan on replacing the lenses and adding some LEDs to mimic the Tri-laser. All in all a good find I think. I also plan on replacing the dreds (yet again) as the shrink tubing does not suit me. I have one more idea I will try for dreads when I get home. If it works out, I will post pics of how I made them. My new Bio pic is attached.

My_New_Predator_BioHelmet.jpg

Just a warning that Falconer may not fit the mask. If it is anything like the Wolf or Celtic style in that price range it will be very small almost 1/2 scale...

I was thinking the same thing since I have the Wolf BioMask you speak of. It was just a wall mask period and only half size. Apparently this is homemade fiberglass pull. He doesn't think it is a 1:1 size but very close. From the demensions he sent me I believe it's bigger than 1/2 but not truely 1:1. For $40 it is worth a shot. He said the height is 14.5" when I looked at the $300 falconer Mask demensions it says 17" Height but most people don't measure the height correctly. If it's close enough it will work. Worse case scenario is I have a nice wall BioMask. I was thinking of doing a BioMask only Predator. Which means I only need some dreads to hide my head.

thats what i did for my daughters head, i made my own halfmask and attach it to the bio, now when i get dreads i will atach them to the back side ..done..... ps Ray i suw your pics in facebook. awesome ecostumes..... (y) im late foe work but later i will post a pic to show you ok bud!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back