My new foam mask! What do you think?

derecklum

Hey everybody, I finished my mask not to long ago and decided to get everyones opinion on the lair. Its made from upholstry foam with acrylic paint. the teeth are made from sculpey. I have found a better way to make the dreds using pipe insulation and foamies for the beads, so a new mask is on the way soonView attachment 8359. criticism is welcome so please feel free to let me know what you think can be done better. Thanks!

PB241109.JPG

PB241108.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
2 of the first members here started out like with carpet foam suits...

that is really nice start i'm also diggin that shape you have in the corner,,,here is a question maybe someone can answer..would brushing on a few layers of rubber latex to the foam or spray some clear plastidip what kind of finish would you get?

i'm just seeing the foam as an "underskull Layer" as well

can't wait to see the rest of it

Andrew

2 of the first members here started out like with a carpet foam suits...

that is really nice start i'm also diggin that shape you have in the corner,,,here is a question maybe someone can answer..would brushing on a few layers of rubber latex to the foam or spray some clear plastidip what kind of finish would you get?

i'm just seeing the foam as an "underskull Layer" as well

can't wait to see the rest of it

Andrew

andrew, i did some tests a while ago, the problem i outn with adding a layer of latex to foam is that it goes floppy, warps out of shap and gets really heavy, the latex soaks through it. i dunno if making it alot thicker would help or trying a different method

Derecklum,

Comin' in hot, way to go with the mask!

@esdain, Kithunter

what does various types of glue do to upholstery foam, could a thin coat of it be applied, then paint that layer?

---
Ei'luj

If you use thickened latex it will soak in but it will also skin over the surface of the latex. I uses the thick latex ona faom suit i made a long time ago. I simply used thick latex on the first pass and a couple of coats of un-thickened for the rest turned out quite well...plus with it being thickend if you stipple it on you can create a nice scaley lumpy texture too.

Cool work on the mask mate

Spay adhesive works wonders for filling in the open cell foam to allow latex (or any other liquid-to-solid material) to cover but not soak in. I've never tried a pred head before, but it has always helped on quick and dirty body parts for creepy sets.

I also suck at carving foam, so I usually freeze mine to help it carve easier (at least for me). Problem is, when it finally thaws, it is pretty much soaked and takes a while to dry out. Then spray the adhesive on, wait till it dries, then latex or silicone the piece. Dragon Skin is great for skinning things...but way too expensive for quick and disposable set decorations. Gonna try and get some more for my next Wraith prosthetic, though. Love to see how it works on a foam pred head (pics if someone has already done it? :eek: ).

Just a few questions. 1- Do you have a template? 2- Once you put the pieces together, what did you put over the foam to give it that smooth surface look?
Unfortunately No I didn't make a template but i should have. I was basically flying by the seat of my pants on this guy. For your next question, I didn't actually use anything on the foam to give it its texture. All i did was put several different colored layers of acrylic paint on that bad boy. some were thick, but some were thin. For the last few layers i took a fist size chunk of extra foam and dipped it into watered down acrylic paint and patted it down on the mask to give the color some depth. i don't see any need to coat it with anything under the paint. I have been experimenting with putting different glues over the acrylic to give it the wet look though. Seems like contact cement all over the thing will achieve that effect, but does it ever stink. Maybe for the next mask.

As I said on my thread......

THIS IS A ******* BUTE!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!

And I'm guessing you're making another one too? That unfinished one in the back?

I HAVE to do this now...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back