My most valuable item arrived today

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by PHArchivist, Feb 21, 2006.

1. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

I picked the right day to take off work so I could sign for a delivery from The Propstore of London. Once again, The Propstore pulled through with shining colors.

What drives value of a screen-used prop?
    --Big movie?
    --Lots of screen-time?
    --Usage by major characters?
    --Importance to the plot?
    --Overall "cool" factor?

This one has them all...

Last of the Mohicans, while not Gladiator or Braveheart, was by no means some small-time flick. You all remember it; most have seen it. It is a movie that for the most part will be remembered.

The prop I now have in my home is on screen from nearly the beginning to the very end of the film. And it is EXTREMELY prominent throughout.

Though not used by Daniel Day Lewis himself, it was the primary weapon of one of the three main protagonists, and...

...it was used by this protagonist during the climax of the film to eliminate the lead "heavy". IT was the prop the essentially finished the movie.

And it is WAY cool.

May I present number one of only two wooden hero versions of Chingachgook's war club.

2. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

THAT is fantastic. Incredible movie and an incredible prop. Congrats and thank you for sharing.

3. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Great score Rob...... I just watched that movie last week...

4. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

LOVE that scene & that prop... KICKS HU-RON BUT-TOCKS.. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rob, YOU DA MOHICAN... :D

Now make a blade for that thing and drop it in rubber ASAP... :)

- Gabe

5. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

THAT IS AWESOME.... I love this movie. Just like Gabe said...lets see this thing in some rubber ASAP.

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm glad it went to a fellow Board Member.

I saw it at the Propstore for maybe a month and when I was going to finally buy it it was gone.

Congratulations and take good care of it.. :)

7. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great grab man. Very cool hero piece :)

Congrats.

T

8. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. Most impressive- great movie- really holds up...love that last fight scene- very brutal- very realistic

9. PHArchivist

I've said it before, but haning out with you hooligans simply adds greater pleasure to this god-forsaken hobby of ours. Thanks for the compliments.

Rob -- I wanted to watch it tonight (of course) but not sure will get to it. Soon, though.

Gabe. love the pics. Great caps AND captions. :lol

Apollo, I'm really glad you hesitated. But rest assured it is in a good home and will hold an honored spot in my collection. If you ever want to chat about it or see more pics, let me know. AND know that I am not a"prop turnstyle". I don't buy to sell... So its not going to disappear from the radar.

Tom. Two war clubs, one month (sort of). ;)

10. PHArchivist

As you may have noticed, (Gabe commented on it) the club is missing the blade. A minor disappointment, but I knew that going in. I will likely fashion a replica. Anybody here know anyone who does prop replicas? ;)

On the rubber thing -- its funny, what led me to this item was research to make a replica. I had cut one out of wood based on a 1:1 template made from a reference shot.

I still have the unfinished cut out, and it is 99% dead on.

11. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Great news, Rob.

I look forward to reading the progress thread and later joining the interest thread. :D

To correct one small fact you posted:

Chingachgook, NOT Hawkeye, *WAS* the "Last of the Mohicans" both in the book and in the film, so in essense this IS a "hero" prop. :)

The circular pattern of studs look like upholstery tacks - can you take some close-ups of that detail? Looks pretty easy to replicate if that's the case. If you're remastering this in resin or wood, I'd definitely add those tacks as a secondary operation as opposed to molding them in.

If you'd like some hi-res screen captures of the prop off the DVD, let me know, because I'd be happy to do it. :)

- Gabe

12. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Oh MAAAAAAAAAAN.... Nice, really nice... :)

13. Apollo

Any chance of a run to re-coup some of your costs in buying the original? ;)

If you do I am already claiming the First Spot. :D

I'm IN............ :lol

14. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I was more than a little worried it was going to be Col. Munro's heart...

Very, very nice acquisition.

15. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

any chance youd make a cast of it PH? I have a flintlock picked up from the set of the film when in NC. Buddy of mine was an colonial settler in one of the forts.

16. PHArchivist

Hey all. Thanks again for the comps.

I don't have the wear-withall to create such a large silicon mold and subsequent casts, but if theres any SoCal members who want to help out... (?)

Heres some shots of the wood buck I made before getting the original:

17. Apollo

:eek Man You were close..

You've got one hellu'va good eye..

18. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Could you please PM me your personal phone number so I can call you and express exactly how much I hate you?

Better yet your address so I can stand in your front yard and curse you.

What a fantastic prop. It has to be the most recognizable prop in the entire film.

I could have gotten one of the Wampum belts for a song years ago but I was only into Star Wars stuff then...

Congrats. In my book you own a Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, Rosebud, and the Maltese Falcon.

19. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

Very nice piece. From a classic.

20. PHArchivist

Rick that is one hell of a compliment. Thanks, man. You can have the address, but so that you can come and enjoy my collection and hospitality.

21. PHArchivist

Apollo, I had measurements from somewhere, plus I made a 1:1 paper template that I calculated the math for the blow up and had printed at an office store.

Its sort of cool having one I can knock around with and not stress about damaging. :)

22. Durasteel Corporation

Ya know I laugh because that same guy who was on the Mohicans set was a huuuuge, dare I say romantically lost colonial reenactor. Used to come to college dressed up in his 'frocks' and tri-hat to somehow....impress the ladies with his 18th century mannors. Oh boy :confused

He was a nice enough guy all right and I liked him until I came in my room to find "Meriwether Lewis" working the moves on my bed with some girl who he found that night.....

anyway the gun stock thing...

he made one for the film. I dunno, I guess he thought he would use it on camera or something ...and to my knowledge it was used at least somewhere in one of the Indian villages So one night when we were walking along this two lane road, I asked him if I could hold the gunstock...

...and with no body coming I hurled it. It landed and smashed into about a dozen pieces on the asphault....oak is hard...so is asphault. I have the distinction of of smashing a presumably screen used prop much like your new toy PH. Word to the wise....dont throw it. :lol

23. southcenter

southcenter Active Member

Excellent acquire. That is from one of my all time favorite movies. I'm mucho jealous. :)

Patrick

24. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that is an AWESOME prop .. its a prop that's not "in your face" but a subtle nod to enthusiasts in the "know"

25. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any chance you can post a template for those of us who want to build our own? Hmmmm? :D

26. Durasteel Corporation

probably stuck in Mogua (check the valley below) :D

27. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, ^THIS^. :love

28. PHArchivist

I haven't ruled these ideas out...

29. nash

nash Well-Known Member

wow congrats on the awesome prop. i love that movie.

Where did you get it from and how much did it cost??

30. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I havn't seen the movie, does this guy just stand here and let his * get handed to him???
    [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/magua.JPG[/image]
    Does he get beat up and killed or just get the * beat out of him?

Fill me in, as I'll probably never see the movie, although it looks interesting

Lynn

31. Apollo

No he did not stand there he tried to fight but Chingatchagook took him out, yes killed him with 4 Blows.

You REALLY NEED to see this Movie Lynn.

32. Durasteel Corporation

Too true. Its an excellant film, even after 200 years still holds up.

I know a guy who doenst like the film because he says, "just another white guy saving the indians.....I suspect reminising about Dances with Wolves. I argued rather the films were not about or for """European""" exploitation, colonialism but rather a look at the pitfalls and clearly negative sides of such things. He has not seen the films....ergo my intent fell on deaf ears. I also think both films look at the human sides of hate, fear, ego, vanity, ....dont place blame on any one group but rather, and I think effectively, suggest there are bad apples in every group.

My great grandmother was an Abinaki, MicMac or Pennopscot Indian and we have a dageurotype or similar painted photo of her posing in a rather emotionless, stern manner....kinda spooky. Its a very old portrait, supposedly made around 1870 as I understand it.....but only about 100 years after "Mohicans" took place.. We arent super clear of what tribe per se, but surely of the Abinaki stock. (my other half i Dutch-Scandinavian, probably explains the height-- but curiously when a baby, people apparently asked my mother (white) if my dad was asian because I had discernably asian features, much of which have disappeared....but will probably reemerge as I get older. Yet my father, although dark hair, has very little asiatic featues. My grandmother proper still had very asiatic features which became much more prominant when she got older, she looked like an old Indian woman but was always very proud of the Indian side). Genes are weird to be sure. In any event, while I am not sure, I was a little horrified to learn that Maguas, being Huron was allied with the Abenakis to some extent....I felt guilty when the wagon train going through that valley was assaulted....

...but when I watched the newly released version, I didnt see that part...and I rewatched it and still dont remember seeing it....

was the wagon scene cut out?

Edit: also if anyone ever gets up to Richmond Maine, the capital, DO check out the state museum up there....tons of excellant exhibits on early industrialism, those old Steven King "factory machines" that are so eerie looking.....as well as some super exhibits on North East Indians.

33. Jedirick

Just checked with make-up FX artist.

If I understand this correctly, blade was removable for purpose of interchanging FX blade types. All clubs used had this characteristic and may have been used interchangeably. Jeff Goodwin did blade through Maguh appliances. I am trying to get a hold of him by email. Currently he is in Italy. Did Voights appliances for the Pope John TV movie and has now been asked to do "War and Peace" The guy is one terrific FX talent. Actually secured for War and Peace before a director is chosen.
    I'll see what he can recall. I know he will be excited to hear the club surfaced we've talked about it before..

34. Jedirick

OK, you have 24 hours to attain a copy of Mohicans, watch it and report. We can't have RPF members who have not seen this film. After 24 hours, everytime you log on to the RPF all you will get is a large blank white screen with the following quote:

Duncan: "There is a war going on in the east. How is it you are heading west?"
    Hawkeye: "Well, you face north and, real sudden-like, turn left."

35. PHArchivist

Yes...

Per my research (largely what The Propstore of London reported, but other sources too), there were two hero clubs made (mine is labeled #1. :D ), some special effects clubs (Propstore sold one that featured a retractable blade with piping for blood), and roughly 10 rubber/foam stunt versions.

36. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a great film that really makes one proud to be American.

There was a period (although brief)where the early settlers ACTUALLY got along with the Indians and didn't treat them like sub-humans. Then jerks started coming over it all went downhill from there... :(

37. Kittlemeier

Kittlemeier Well-Known Member

Great acquisition.

The movie is great, one of my favorites, but the Director's Expanded Edition, which is the only one available on DVD in the US, is a little lacking. They changed some of the music and dialogue and it really changes the dynamic of some of the scenes. They totally left out the song by Clannad. One of these days I need to get an all code player and the region 2 version which wasn't altered from the theatrical release. K

38. Durasteel Corporation

:lol Yes there are some great dry ones in there.

Indeed, there is a good deal of evidence in the archelogical record for the vikings to have intermarried with the Indians of North American. We have found graves in which viking men and indian women are next to each other, clearly married to one another and had children. Viking coins have been found in Maine as with artifacts. This also undermines, yet again, that vikings were not necessarily violent as has been portrayed over the centuries.

Now I grant this is some 700 to 900 years before Last of the Mohicans but does show a lot of early colonists who expressed no initial desire to be aggressive. I like the explanation of nationstate jocking that winds up sucking in many colonies, thereby creating a lot of the friction. Fact is, most colonists came to the "americas" for money....people today are suprised to find that lumber is often the number one and most emphasized item cited on ship cargo mannifests followed by furs---not gold, not silver, nor religious freedom as a primary motive. Europeans cut down all the trees (history repeating itself?) so they needed wood that was most akin to the types of trees they knew....and the americas were the place to find it. Most of the time business people find that peaceful interactio is the best way to conduct business, particularly with trading in mind to survive.

To be fair, not all Indians were nice....some were very aggresive, and frankly violent. Some were kind and gentle....others skittish.....some curious....some violent and agressive----the human race.

39. Durasteel Corporation

Was there some type of inserted pin through the stock that kept the "blades" from flying out?

40. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

To be fair, not all Indians were nice....some were very aggresive, and frankly violent. Some were kind and gentle....others skittish.....some curious....some violent and agressive----the human race.
    [snapback]1194550[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Dude, you're too cool for not being down with all that "Hey whitey, feel guilty," crap.

41. Durasteel Corporation

The term "Guilty" is the problem and it isnt a crap issue...its very serious. Guilt implies that one did something. Social responsibily is another story. Being part Indian, part European...I see both sides of the issue. Not to get too far off track but a simple example would be 400 years of slavery Africans endured here. How in the hell could any group of people be expected to know or be as equipped as their enslavers after four centuries of inhumane treatment? Been 140 odd years since slavery ended. Since then, and similar to the Indian situation, both groups have met with intolerance, ridicule, Jim Crow laws, extreme racism, etc. You nor I can nor should feel guilty for something we did not do....but we should be aware and mindful of the reality that social and economic plights of both these groups are still affected by what our ancestors DID do...and yeah I think we owe it to groups of people on whose shoulders our society was partially built. Ever been on an Indian reservation? It aint a pretty sight. Ever ridden through SouthEast DC ghetto and thought 'hey these folks were the critical economic foundation of the south and much of the north for 400 years upon which 'whitey' relied... and look at them now.... I dont feel guilty....I am very concerned.

'Mohicans' showed that hatred (ie Magua) can be borne out of personal experience--his family having been killed--- that another cannot understand until they lived that reality.

Sorry for the OT guys.

42. PHArchivist

Thanks for the apology, Drew, and the subtle steering back on topic -- I appreciate that...

43. Durasteel Corporation

No problem PH ;)

Now a prop question....what type of wood is it made of? Im thinking oak, maple....but then again its a prop so a conifer wood might make sense for lightness. Oak can get heavy fast ...and split fast....as my little hurling experiement with my buddies stock proved... :D

44. PHArchivist

It is surprisingly light. LOOKS like a genuine native american war clup. FEELS like a prop. Propmasters at their very best.

And to answer a previous question, no sign of a bolt or other mechanical attacment method for the balde. Just a slot in the wood...

45. Durasteel Corporation

If I was Wes Studi, I think Id find that a bit disconcerting.

46. Mogwai2112

Mogwai2112 Active Member

Give me your address so I can come over and hit you on the head and very quietly walk out with that beautiful prop from one of my fav movies of ALL time. CONGRATS..... How much this this baby sell for? I am soo jealous and happy at the same time......I need a keenx now..sniff sniff........----Chris-----

47. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Now why would you post that link when I post the actual photo right at the top of page 1? :confused

Drew - you really have to track what's being posted by other people in the thread and stay in the loop instead of treating it like your private playground or a pulpit from which to give unsolicited, passionate, even poetic history lectures... This isn't the place for that, and it's not the first, second, or third thread you've hijacked. Not a slam - you asked me what beef many people have with you and this is one very good example based on what they told me and what I've been observing recently. Just some genuine constructive advice offered in the spirit of harmonious co-existence. :)

- Gabe

48. Durasteel Corporation

Because its a great photo of the blade as attached...and I overlooked it...geesh. ...shall I grovel in apology

Hijacked? Go back and re-read Gabe...PLENTY of comments about the FILM, the HISTORY, the PEOPLE INVOLVED......so its a hijacked thread to address a borderline racial "whitey" comment as I did above??? That seemed a hell of a lot more out of bounds. See heres the thing.... at what point is a discussion thread......a discussion thread? Pictures of a prop...lots of wows, cools, neatos....some questions about it....is this all we are """"allowed"""" to say on a discussion board?---particularly about a prop? What about the use of the prop? What about actual artifacts vs. the prop....is that out of bounds? Sounds more like censorship to me. The rhetorical point being thus: if its a discussion, it cant be controlled. Its its a "show-off" thread....than what is the point of doing so if commentary is to be so "controlled" or contrived as to be philisophically negate the primary purpose of having that curiuos little button called: ADD REPLY.
    Trashing somebody or someone or adding smart * quips aint the same as adding a little background and information to a subject. There are probably quite a few people who dont know the background of the huron, the mohicans, the grey hair and the white hair....much less even know what period the prop was supposedly used in.....is this ....ahem....off topic. :rolleyes

I thought I had asked a rather interesting question about that prop few posts up....but I see that was overlooked

again PH, my apologies.

49. PHArchivist

Ok guys... Back to work (on discussing props.) :p

My take on the discussion:
    Political commentary
    :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown
    Occasional meandering/expanding of the general subject matter
    :thumbsup
    Talk of this prop, its history, etcetera
    :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

50. Treadwell