My most valuable item arrived today

PHArchivist

Master Member
I picked the right day to take off work so I could sign for a delivery from The Propstore of London. Once again, The Propstore pulled through with shining colors.

What drives value of a screen-used prop?
--Big movie?
--Lots of screen-time?
--Usage by major characters?
--Importance to the plot?
--Overall "cool" factor?

This one has them all...

Last of the Mohicans, while not Gladiator or Braveheart, was by no means some small-time flick. You all remember it; most have seen it. It is a movie that for the most part will be remembered.

The prop I now have in my home is on screen from nearly the beginning to the very end of the film. And it is EXTREMELY prominent throughout.

Though not used by Daniel Day Lewis himself, it was the primary weapon of one of the three main protagonists, and...

...it was used by this protagonist during the climax of the film to eliminate the lead "heavy". IT was the prop the essentially finished the movie.

And it is WAY cool.

May I present number one of only two wooden hero versions of Chingachgook's war club.

LOVE that scene & that prop... KICKS HU-RON BUT-TOCKS.. :D

magua.JPG

lotm-blueweapon-dvd2.jpg

Rob, YOU DA MOHICAN... :D

Now make a blade for that thing and drop it in rubber ASAP... :)

- Gabe

I'm glad it went to a fellow Board Member.

I saw it at the Propstore for maybe a month and when I was going to finally buy it it was gone.

Congratulations and take good care of it.. :)

Wow. Most impressive- great movie- really holds up...love that last fight scene- very brutal- very realistic

I've said it before, but haning out with you hooligans simply adds greater pleasure to this god-forsaken hobby of ours. Thanks for the compliments.

Rob -- I wanted to watch it tonight (of course) but not sure will get to it. Soon, though.

Gabe. love the pics. Great caps AND captions. :lol

Apollo, I'm really glad you hesitated. But rest assured it is in a good home and will hold an honored spot in my collection. If you ever want to chat about it or see more pics, let me know. AND know that I am not a"prop turnstyle". I don't buy to sell... So its not going to disappear from the radar.

Tom. Two war clubs, one month (sort of). ;)

As you may have noticed, (Gabe commented on it) the club is missing the blade. A minor disappointment, but I knew that going in. I will likely fashion a replica. Anybody here know anyone who does prop replicas? ;)

On the rubber thing -- its funny, what led me to this item was research to make a replica. I had cut one out of wood based on a 1:1 template made from a reference shot.

I still have the unfinished cut out, and it is 99% dead on.

Great news, Rob.

I look forward to reading the progress thread and later joining the interest thread. :D

To correct one small fact you posted:

Though not used by Daniel Day Lewis himself, it was the primary weapon of one of the three main protagonists, and...

...it was used by this protagonist during the climax of the film to eliminate the lead "heavy". IT was the prop the essentially finished the movie.
Chingachgook, NOT Hawkeye, *WAS* the "Last of the Mohicans" both in the book and in the film, so in essense this IS a "hero" prop. :)

The circular pattern of studs look like upholstery tacks - can you take some close-ups of that detail? Looks pretty easy to replicate if that's the case. If you're remastering this in resin or wood, I'd definitely add those tacks as a secondary operation as opposed to molding them in.

If you'd like some hi-res screen captures of the prop off the DVD, let me know, because I'd be happy to do it. :)

- Gabe

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 21 2006, 11:09 PM
I still have the unfinished cut out, and it is 99% dead on.
[snapback]1190225[/snapback]​

Any chance of a run to re-coup some of your costs in buying the original? ;)

If you do I am already claiming the First Spot. :D

I'm IN............ :lol

Hey all. Thanks again for the comps.

I don't have the wear-withall to create such a large silicon mold and subsequent casts, but if theres any SoCal members who want to help out... (?)

Heres some shots of the wood buck I made before getting the original:

Could you please PM me your personal phone number so I can call you and express exactly how much I hate you?

Better yet your address so I can stand in your front yard and curse you.

What a fantastic prop. It has to be the most recognizable prop in the entire film.

I could have gotten one of the Wampum belts for a song years ago but I was only into Star Wars stuff then...

Congrats. In my book you own a Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, Rosebud, and the Maltese Falcon.

Rick that is one hell of a compliment. Thanks, man. You can have the address, but so that you can come and enjoy my collection and hospitality.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back