My Mk. 42 build, new STL files for upper arm section

Re: My Mk. 42 build (complete forearm at pg.6)

Whoa, those pictures look incredible, you're doing a great job on this!!!
Sorry to keep asking questions, but how did you fit all of the pieces in the forearm together?
Also, once I manage to print the pieces, what's the best way to reinforce the pieces (e.g. with fibreglass etc.)?
Great work!
John

I'm really excited to see this project progress! I wanna 3D print a suit but I don't have very much experience in 3D modeling

I desoldered the pins and attached wires.

I finally got to take some decent photos.
I managed to get a hold of a Falke shirt from a nice member to accompany the armor. No arc though...
View attachment 251508

phenominal build sir! like I said before you have a GIFT! I love that shirt! Falke is it? wow... seriously good work! I may have some things to share with you soon. we have been working hard on this end. midterms got in the way but we are hoping to have it modeled soon. Also your fingers are HUGE. we printed out some of the fingers and were like what do they eat across the pond to get this big! lol

Is there a way to get measurements on the parts before I print them? I have pretty massive hands haha

Hello!
I download the fingers.
but i ned one question.
What is de scale, from sice M or L?

First things first: Holy crap what gorgeous work. Seriously so detailed and smooth, I applaud you. I would love for my next set of gloves to be this good. That in mind I have questions like how are the fingered exactly attached? I saw you have the elastic at the base but it looks like that only is used there and you talk about using fishing line? Also what kind of magnets do you use to act as the latch? I used some rare earth metal magnets but my glove would pop open. Do I need stronger magnets or a bigger glove? I also had issues getting the magnets to stick using hot glue or super glue (gorilla glue too). Final thing what kind of batteries? I know you said flat coin type cells but is there a particular model and did you need anything else besides the light and the battery?

thanks in advance

Hi Abb, I've had a few problems printing some of the pieces recently. Having printed all of the finger and thumb pieces, I'm encountering issues when trying to print the plates on the back of the hand and also the main forearm piece.
How long did it take you to print all of the pieces, and did you use any support material in the construction?
Thanks

Hello!
I download the fingers.
but i ned one question.
What is de scale, from sice M or L?

It's somewhere around a medium i would say.

First things first: Holy crap what gorgeous work. Seriously so detailed and smooth, I applaud you. I would love for my next set of gloves to be this good. That in mind I have questions like how are the fingered exactly attached? I saw you have the elastic at the base but it looks like that only is used there and you talk about using fishing line? Also what kind of magnets do you use to act as the latch? I used some rare earth metal magnets but my glove would pop open. Do I need stronger magnets or a bigger glove? I also had issues getting the magnets to stick using hot glue or super glue (gorilla glue too). Final thing what kind of batteries? I know you said flat coin type cells but is there a particular model and did you need anything else besides the light and the battery?

thanks in advance

Hey
Thanks! :D
Yes, I initially attached the fingers using fishing line, but I've replaced it with regular cotton string like the one you'd normally use to hold a steak together.
The reason is the fishing line was very hard to glue in place and kept slicing through the glue. If you're using super glue be sure to leave a small length unsoaked just just where the joint is. Otherwise it will be too stiff to bend properly.

As for the locking, I use a rare earth magnet thats also held into place by a wedge to keep glove from opening. I would show you a photo, but thing is it's currently broken :p Hopefully a quick scribble will do:
New Canvas.png
When the glove is closed, the magnet slides over the wedge and then snaps onto the steel plate.
I use super glue. It usually works ok if you roughen up the magnet surface with some sanding paper.

The batteries I use now is just a temporary fix. I can't recall their name but it's just regular 3V lithium buttons around 2cm in diameter I'd guess.

Hi Abb, I've had a few problems printing some of the pieces recently. Having printed all of the finger and thumb pieces, I'm encountering issues when trying to print the plates on the back of the hand and also the main forearm piece.
How long did it take you to print all of the pieces, and did you use any support material in the construction?
Thanks

It did take me quite a while to print all of it. 3-4 days maybe.

I didn't use any support material for the hand plates. I cut them in half and the placed them standing upright. Try this STL prepped for print: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rn8v049lkthvp5/platescut.stl

As for the forearm, depending on where you cut it it may or may not need support material. The only place I can think is where the hole for the hatch closes up.

Thanks for the reply! Ingenious solutions with the latch hook type mechanism. I'll look to do something similar hopefully it comes out as well as yours. Again looking at the pictures and not enough words to describe how amazing. I hope you find the time (and desire and patience) to eventually make a full suit because the more of your work that's out there the better!

Hi again Abb!
I'm on the last piece that I need to print now, the main 'forearm' section. However, my printer is JUST too small to print the piece upwards (otherwise it would take 60 hours :cry). Do you by any chance have the forearm piece cut into separate pieces as an STL file?
Thanks again,
John

I've tried cutting on Netfabb, but when I did so it created a flat surface along the face that I had cut along: is that meant to be there?

Your paint scheme is absolutely gorgeous ! Did you use any special method for the Volvo gold and Mica red ? I've never had such a glossy and nice finish with rattle cans from my autoshop ! Also, after seeing the slideshow MK42 bust revealed today (Iron Man Mark 42 | Sideshow Collectibles), would you say the titanium gold alclad is a gold as the shiny parts on the bust ? Or more silverish ? The bust gold seems a bit too gold on the pics compared to the pics in the gallery here, your forearm looks much more closer to the gallery pics and the movie, but it's hard to say given lightning conditions seem to impact the color a lot.

Sorry, I've got another question! :$
How did you power the repulsor lights, and where did you store the electronics for it? I've looked at AA batteries, or a few lithium ion button cells to run the LEDs from, but I'm not sure how well it'll work...
Thanks (yet again)!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back