My meeting and conversation with JB

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
I know this thread is going to be a sore spot for some people here. I can only ask that if you can't be civilized to please not post to this thread. I am simply sharing some personal experiences, I realize that not everyone has had the same experiences as myself.

I mentioned some time ago, kind of off-handed in another thread, that I was going to be vacationing in JB's hometown and that I planned to try and get together with him. I contacted him through a third party and we began to email. We exchanged phone numbers and I agreed to call him when I arrived in his hometown and we would arrange a get together.

We did get together at his temporary residence as he is and was in the process of moving and did not have a workshop set up. He did, however, have several pieces and completed helmets for me to look at and take pictures of. I do have pictures to post but they are on my home computer (I am at work posting this) so I will add them later.

I have to say that meeting him was a pleasent experience. He came across to me as a nice, courteous and open-minded individual. He showed me several of his pieces (helmets, armor, chestboxes) and the helmets are by far the nicest I have seen in person. He showed me some in-progress pieces such as an ANH chestbox and an ANH helmet that he is reworking yet again.

We did discuss some of the things people have said about him such as late delivery of product and recasting claims. From what I could see (and I do have some comparrision pics to post) some of the recast claims are not true. I will go on the record from what I saw in person and say that it is my opinion that his armor is NOT a recast of the GH ANH, although they likely share the same original source. Again, he does not have a shop at the present time so he couldn't show me everything as he has a lot in storage but he went out of his way to make sure he had some things to show me.

I am proud to now own one of his helmets, the ANH V2. I will post pics of my own helmet in a seperate showoff thread. It's the nicest helmet I have seen in person, although he had an ESB there as well and that was pretty darn good. I had a hard time choosing between the two lids. :D

Again, my opinions are based on my own experiences with him and I realize others have not shared the same experiences as I. I do, however, find it very difficult to belive that there is no one here besides myself who has had a positive experience dealing with JB. I hope that we will hear some good comments here to counteract the amount of negative comments that I expect to read.

Let the fun begin... pics to come tomorrow or Monday.

I got one of JB's ANH V2's second hand. It is a fine, fine piece. I won't "out" the person I bought it from. I will say in my conversation with that person, they said JB was very pleasant to deal with, and wouldn't accept any money until the helmet was finished. If I remember right, it was only about three weeks from the time he ordered to the time it was ready to deliver. I've had no experience with JB, that's just what I was told.

I had a positive experience with JB for a long time, too. For a few years I trusted him with alot. He is a very personable guy. It really surprised and saddened me when I discovered all his lies and underhanded dealings. I do realize you are a good guy, DK, and that you are biased from your visit, but the fact that JB has lied and has recast items offered by others remains and are indesputable.

DK,
As you probably know, I have painted more than my share of both GH and JB armor and helmet pieces.......and you are dead wrong about their lineage. JB has gone to great lengths to hide the source of his armor pieces, but he hasn't fooled everyone. There are characteristics of GH armor that just can't be hidden. Yeah, he's a recaster. A nice fella, but a recaster. EDC was a nice guy in person as well. Jeff Parks was a nice guy in person. But that doesn't make them okay on this board.

I don't fault you for telling it like you see it, because I did the same with EDC for a long long time. I did something similar with Parks for a shorter time......LOL. You live you learn.

Just don't EVER turn your back on those guys.

Peace,

Dave

That is correct for one of his helmets. He has multiple versions of it. One was a total GH recast. But yes GH + 20th C for another one.

<div class='quotetop'>(vaderdarth @ Jul 24 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1286594[/snapback]</div>
There are characteristics of GH armor that just can't be hidden.
[/b]
Isn't the GH cast off original? Iirc I was told that in another thread.

I haven't had dealings with JB - he has some nice Vader helmets... but his rep is a bit tarnished.

Dave,

Yes, I am aware you painted those pieces, and may I say your work is top notch.

I saw some of his casts in person and in progress pieces. JB went on record and said that some of his pieces have the same original sources as some of the GH stuff (ex: Don Post) but that he did not directly recast his stuff. I took some pictures of examples in JB's home and I will post them later tonight to illustrate what I am talking about.

I always keep an open mind but I always keep an open eye as well. I won't turn my back unless I am 110% sure of something or someone. I'll be ok Dave.... :D

Pics to come tonight.

<div class='quotetop'>(vaderdarth @ Jul 24 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]1286594[/snapback]</div>
DK,
As you probably know, I have painted more than my share of both GH and JB armor and helmet pieces.......and you are dead wrong about their lineage. JB has gone to great lengths to hide the source of his armor pieces, but he hasn't fooled everyone. There are characteristics of GH armor that just can't be hidden. Yeah, he's a recaster. A nice fella, but a recaster. EDC was a nice guy in person as well. Jeff Parks was a nice guy in person. But that doesn't make them okay on this board.

I don't fault you for telling it like you see it, because I did the same with EDC for a long long time. I did something similar with Parks for a shorter time......LOL. You live you learn.

Just don't EVER turn your back on those guys.

Peace,

Dave
[/b]

I moved a bunch of posts (at least temporarily) until it can be sorted out and this new Vader drama can be looked into and cleared.

Chris has specifically requested people not hijack this thread further, so keep hijacking at your own risk.

What a nightmare. When I finally got my helmet I was pretty disappointed to see that there was a crease in one of the lenses. After all that, I have to replace the lenses. Im just glad my deal with him is over. If anyone is on the fence about dealing with him...BEWARE.

Synasp,

My intention was not to start any drama and I hope this thread can continue to be somewhat productive.

I hope that we can see those posts put back at some point.

<div class='quotetop'>(synasp @ Jul 24 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1287062[/snapback]</div>

I moved a bunch of posts (at least temporarily) until it can be sorted out and this new Vader drama can be looked into and cleared.

Chris has specifically requested people not hijack this thread further, so keep hijacking at your own risk.
[/b]

As promised here are some pics from ym meeting with JB.

The ANH helmet is a piece he is working on to try and improve some inaccuracies and flaws. We did not discuss the origins of this helmet. I tried to take as many pics as necessary from different angles. This helmet is a untrimmed casting. What is the lineage? Anyone know?

The chestbox is a casting he claims to have gotten from Don Post's son. It is a raw, untrimmed casting. The comparrison pics show it next to a GH ANH box that JB has in his possesion. The JB cast is obviously much bigger (evident from the pictures), but seeing it leaves no doubt they are the same box from the same source. However, the JB box is not a recast of the smaller GH box, that is evident from its size because if it were a recast it would be smaller. I have no doubt that both boxes share the same source, JB in fact stated that as well. But by the looks of it the JB box is a lower generation. Is there anything wrong with two products sharing the same source and not being directly recast off one another? I can't see an issue with that.

Here's the link to the photbucket album. Please review and share comments:

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/dart...nt/JB%20Photos/

I'd like to state for the record that I only intend to share my experiences with JB with the membership. I realize that the experiences of others have not been similar to my own. I hope everyone understands that I am not a advicat for JB or promoting his products to further his sales, that is not my intention.

I hate to be the one to burst JB's lying bubble.............but the truth is this: The GH chestbox casting...........red/green lenses.........match perfectly the size of the real found red/green lenses...............if a chestbox were that much larger than a GH sourced box............there is no way the lenses would be the same size. Another confirmed lie from JB. To be fair, I can see why you might believe the lie, because this board is so fixated on sizes of castings/generations etc..... But a couple of details to note are: An earlier casting of the GH sourced box............would be smoother in detail and crisper than the GH box.......but the oversized one he's shown you is not smoother or crisper in detail.

I have my own unaltered casting of the original chestbox from ANH, and though mine is at least 3 generations down from the GH........it's only smaller by a fraction of a millimeter in overal size. With calipers my cast lenses still match nicely to the real found ones. And Yes, I am the guy who discovered the original lenses first.

I know this chestbox in every detail imaginable. That one that JB is trying to claim is "up the ladder"........is complete BS...

This is one of about 2000 or so lies the guy has told over the last few years.

I could spend alot of time spouting off details about that helmet casting, but what's the point. There will always be people on this board who freely embrace the JBs and Phils and will buy any casting and lie they have to sell.

JB will always have pretty photos with elaborate stories about said castings..........to try and swindle the unsuspecting out of his or her hard earned dollars...........but that is all he has. Just a pretty picture and a story to go with it. He simply doesn't have anything original that is any better than anyone else has. All his items have come from other members on this board..........ie the 20th C and the GH helmets...to name just two. The complete list would blow your mind...

There will always be a few jerks who chime in to try to destroy good people who happen to be their direct competition, I don't have to name names as they know precisely who they are. Those guys don't fool anyone either. Their motives are so transparent and tainted that it's just a big ole joke here on the RPF.

My advise, stay away from these jokers as they are just in it for the laughs and their customers/victims are just the proverbial punchline....

Dave

To stay ON topic...The helmet is pretty nice looking, but holy-lotsa-work Batman. Good luck w/ that. Also, the chest box seems like it was poorly cast. From a distance, there probably wouldn't be any real issues, but up close there isn't a straight line on the thing. Do you intend on dremellin' the hell out of it and replacing the rods and buttons with more real world items?

<div class='quotetop'>(NEKROFANATIC @ Jul 25 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]1287302[/snapback]</div>
To stay ON topic...The helmet is pretty nice looking, but holy-lotsa-work Batman. Good luck w/ that. Also, the chest box seems like it was poorly cast. From a distance, there probably wouldn't be any real issues, but up close there isn't a straight line on the thing. Do you intend on dremellin' the hell out of it and replacing the rods and buttons with more real world items?
[/b]

I don't plan to do anyhting with it, it's not my box. :)

Good point about the size Dave, I hadn't considered that. To be honest, I don't know a a heck of a lot about how this stuff is made, I just appreciate how it looks when it is finished. :)

Let me again say that I am not one of these people who supports recasting and people who scam others. I simply decided to give JB a chance since I was going to be vacationing in his hometown. I had good motives behind it and I still do.

Sure those pics are interesting, but also know that my master is alot bigger, too. I could show you a pic very similar in size comparison. I will study the pics further, but at a glance the only items larger seem to be the rods and box itself. The other details are the same, if you do an overlay.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Kahnt @ Jul 25 2006, 06:28 AM) [snapback]1287312[/snapback]</div>
I don't plan to do anyhting with it, it's not my box. :)

Good point about the size Dave, I hadn't considered that. To be honest, I don't know a a heck of a lot abouthow this stuff is made, I just appreciate how it looks when it is finished. :)

Let me again say that I am not one of these people who supports recasting and people who scam others. I simply decided to give JB anachance since I was going to be vacationing in his hometown. I had good motives behind it and I still do.
[/b]

DK, didn't mean to imply you sir. :)

Yeah, I just noticed how much wider the box is near the bottom of the box...........so basically JB has just pulled a little "sleight of hand" to make the box appear larger, hence, a more accurate casting. LOL

Dave :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back