My First Bat'leth

Hiddenevil

Hey everyone

It's been a while since I posted anything on the forum, in fact I think the last project was my hypospray. While I was making that, I had this project in the works. I've always wanted to own a Bat'leth like the one Worf had in TNG, the only problem is that metal one's are not only expensive, but also incur certainly legal problems in the UK, where they are considered a deadly weapon. As I just wanted something for display purposes, I decided to try my hand at making one from the materials I had at hand, MDF, Acrylic.

I decided to make the prototype out of MDF, its cheap, amazingly easy to sand and also not very heavy. Which works to my advantage as the sword was going to be hung on my wall.

It took me roughly a month and a half to complete the prototype and around a month to make the final model. Below are photo's of the prototype, starting from the raw materials through to the final paint job.

In this first photo, forefront is the laser cut MDF, behind it the now sanded & beveled prototype. Honestly I was tempted to keep the sword in this state, it was soo smooth. After taking this photo, I applied several coats of watered down PVA glue mixture, returning to it a few days later, the glue had dried in to the MDF, giving it more rigidity and making it ready for primer.

Bat'leth bathing in the sun, that right PVA dry!!

The first 2 coats of primer have been applied, panic over, the PVA is doing it's job and the MDF didn't suck up the paint!

Families are great, we had a heatwave in the UK and after watching me suffer a little sun stroke, my father cleared out his shed and made me a little spraying booth. Large enough for, you guessed it a Klingon Bat'leth!! First coat of silver / chrome applied.

The upside to a heatwave, paint dries quick and applying 2-3 coats of silver didn't take very long at all.

After the silver coat, I cover the sword in a clear polyurethane coat and then applied a metallic coat over the top. Originally with the intention of sanding the blade edge back down to the silver to give a fresh blade look. However this didn't work and i ended up spending another week repainting the thing. So I settled on silver, topped with a light metallic coat.

Wrapping first in cotton and then in faux leather to pad out the grip, this was by far the most annoying part of building this sword, but i did NOT resort to staples, the wrappings stay in place purely through tension.

Outstanding job on this!

Awesome paintjob as it looks like it is aluminum.

Worf would be proud to own this one!

Thanks guys

The template for this was taken from a drawing i found online, I drew up a vector and used the dimensions taken from the screen used TNG swords. The template you sent was spot on when i compared it to the one i used for the prototype :)

Lucky for me a friend owns a metal Bat'leth, he took a load of photo's so I had something to use as a reference. Which is probably why the paint job looks like it does :)

Last edited:
Wow nice job on that, I've always wanted one in metal but as you say here in UK we have "rules" :unsure Never thought of MDF though, gotta get myself one lol although I'm surprised how little I found online reference dimensions etc, plus I'm not savvy enough to do all that vector screen shot stuff lol :D again awesome work :thumbsup

Very impressed! I bet they make beautiful wall decorations.
Can't help wondering how well MDF would stand up to a little light sparring, though.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased with the finished sword, just got to mount it on my wall.

BTW they are pretty sturdy as the PVA reinforces the MDF, the only thing is obviously the paint job. If you spar with it, expect paint chips

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back