My Budget Vader Journey.

Bountyhunter Niko

Hi there guys.

Well IÂ’m well on my way to the Dark Side. I already have a Royal Guard, Stormtrooper and a Biker Scout. But NO LORD OF SITH. I have nearly finished my Vader. The boots are the last buy. I have been lucky with this outfit. This has been remarkably cheap. What you see below has only cost me $1000.

But the big Question is – HOW TO DISPLAY ????

So here is the start of my mannequin journey.

Step one – Vader ( Prowse ) is 2 meters tall.

I have brought the tallest mannequin I could find. He cost me $80.
I then added wood spaces between the middle, wrist and knees. Also a shaft of wood runs up inside the legs. This has added support with the legs being bolted. With a head on – he will be 2 meters tall.

Step two – Vader ( Prowse ) was a Body Builder.

Bulk him up. IÂ’m doing this right now.

IÂ’ll post pics when done.

you might think im crazy, but ill tell ya, on my mannequinn what I did was add layers of bulky clothes like sweatshirts, topped off with a suit jacket that had shoulderpads. Go to a goodwill you can pick that stuff up for under 5 bucks. the shoulder pads fill in the shoulder armor nicely. As for the belt and bodysuit, well, it is hidden mostly under robe and cape, so you can tuck it in in the back. Not that Im saying dont try to mimic Dave Prowse measurements, if you can, awesome. If not I hope Ive at least given you some ideas.

Wow. I look forward to seeing the results. 1000? Wow that's a great deal Nicko...I bet the hardparts are all fibreglass huh? LOL

Regards
TAZ

Hi there Guys.

I brought the hard parts for $800. They are all fiber glass. Because I’m short – this Vader will be purely for display. So the extra weight of Fiber glass isn’t a issue. I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time. The seller was very patient with me. I’m very thankful for that.

The Soft parts are all Rubies. They cost me $150.

IÂ’m sure upgrades will come later down the line. But IÂ’ve been blessed with two children in two years. So money is tight.

Thanx , Niko.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Kahnt @ Jun 29 2006, 03:07 AM) [snapback]1270015[/snapback]</div>
Where did you get the mannequin?
[/b]

Hi there DK.

The mannequinn was brought at a 'Second Hand Shop Fittings' Warehouse. He cost me $150. But I have seen them since on Ebay for $30.

Cheers , Niko.

<div class='quotetop'>(MasterVader @ Jun 29 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]1270283[/snapback]</div>
you might think im crazy, but ill tell ya, on my mannequinn what I did was add layers of bulky clothes like sweatshirts, topped off with a suit jacket that had shoulderpads. Go to a goodwill you can pick that stuff up for under 5 bucks. the shoulder pads fill in the shoulder armor nicely. As for the belt and bodysuit, well, it is hidden mostly under robe and cape, so you can tuck it in in the back. Not that Im saying dont try to mimic Dave Prowse measurements, if you can, awesome. If not I hope Ive at least given you some ideas.
[/b]

Hi there MV.

I want to go more of a Body Builder look. I want to concentrate on Muscle definition. I will be building up layers slowly. All I’m using is BUBBLE WRAP and sticky tape. I’m building up the areas that have larger muscles – e.g. – Biceps , Pecs and so on. I can’t go the way you went with extra clothes. I would run out of room between the arms and the body. Thanx for the help anyway.

Cheers , Niko.

Hi there MV.

I want to go more of a Body Builder look. I want to concentrate on Muscle definition. I will be building up layers slowly. All I’m using is BUBBLE WRAP and sticky tape. I’m building up the areas that have larger muscles – e.g. – Biceps , Pecs and so on. I can’t go the way you went with extra clothes. I would run out of room between the arms and the body. Thanx for the help anyway.

Cheers , Niko.
[/quote]

I actually have a "superhero" muscle suit that I use. Muscle are already sewed into the suit. It works quite well.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bountyhunter Niko @ Jun 29 2006, 07:26 AM) [snapback]1270627[/snapback]</div>
I brought the hard parts for $800. They are all fiber glass. Because I’m short – this Vader will be purely for display. So the extra weight of Fiber glass isn’t a issue. I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time. The seller was very patient with me. I’m very thankful for that.
[/b]
Niko, what is the make of this fiberglass armor... looks nice. I am trying to edicate my self of what the different makes are. I know GT, and JB, but I am not sure what that is. Thanks for sharing, your stuff looks like it will make a great display. :)

the 2006 GT armor isnt bad it's far bigger then the older gt armors out there
But it is still smaller then a GH, Gino, Phoenix armor ect... but not to much smaller

WOW, all that for 1k? Mate, you've done well :thumbsup

The mannequin looks great too. My first Vader mannequin build I used a mix of foam and bubble wrap. I sculpted him by popping the bubbles then taping over him with packing tape, I did him using Prowse's ESB measurements that were floating around here back then. He was like that for a couple of years. What I didn't notice, until I looked at my pics of his first build, was that his posture had changed over time, the bubble wrap had leaked. I've since re-done him using a mix of different thickness foam sheeting, hot glue and tape.

I can't wait to see pics of him finished :)

Cheers,

Kraig

<div class='quotetop'>(Skywalker @ Jun 30 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]1270698[/snapback]</div>
I actually have a "superhero" muscle suit that I use. Muscle are already sewed into the suit. It works quite well.
[/b]

Great Idea. I have no idea how much this would cost me down here in the land of OZ. Also it won't help me with the legs. Thanx anyway. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(scattrap @ Jun 30 2006, 03:11 AM) [snapback]1270750[/snapback]</div>
Niko, what is the make of this fiberglass armor... looks nice. I am trying to edicate my self of what the different makes are. I know GT, and JB, but I am not sure what that is. Thanks for sharing, your stuff looks like it will make a great display. :)
[/b]

I have no idea of the maker. I posted a thread about the hard parts before I brought them. But no one here knew who made them either. I brought them from TAZ Vader down in Tasmania. I think he said they came from Brazil.????

<div class='quotetop'>(yakcam @ Jun 30 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]1271043[/snapback]</div>
WOW, all that for 1k? Mate, you've done well :thumbsup

The mannequin looks great too. My first Vader mannequin build I used a mix of foam and bubble wrap. I sculpted him by popping the bubbles then taping over him with packing tape, I did him using Prowse's ESB measurements that were floating around here back then. He was like that for a couple of years. What I didn't notice, until I looked at my pics of his first build, was that his posture had changed over time, the bubble wrap had leaked. I've since re-done him using a mix of different thickness foam sheeting, hot glue and tape.

Cheers,

Kraig
[/b]

Damn Kraig. I wish I had known this last week. I already have about three layers of Bubble wrap done from the waist up. I have already done exactly like you said – Popped the bubbles where muscle definition wasn’t needed. Then wrapped with tape. WOW. Great minds......

I was thinking about using foam. But I didnÂ’t want the square edges noticeable under the suit.

Cheers All. Niko.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bountyhunter Niko @ Jun 30 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]1271252[/snapback]</div>
I was thinking about using foam. But I didnÂ’t want the square edges noticeable under the suit.
[/b]

Using tape over the foam should eliminate the square edges.

HI there Guys.

And you think you are poor. It took me over 3 months to save up $35.00 to buy some foam and tape to finish my Mannequin. Here is where I’m at –

I took the measurements of Dave Prowes. Biceps, Chest and sholders has three layers of foam.

I then Used expense tape to finish it off. I wanted to eliminate the square edges of the foam. So I taped over the edge , while pushing down on the foam. This has resulted in a seamless finish of the foam where it meets the mannequin. ( Thanx DK )

The mannequin is now complete. He is the right height and measurements.

Looks very good. Looks like you've got the proportions just right. :thumbsup

I did something very similar with my own Vader mannequin. :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back