My Bandai Millennium Falcon PG Build...... Finished?

MangyDog

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So Ive started my kit this Christmas... I brought this kit about a year ago, quite possibly the most expensive kit I've ever brought. But while at the time I thought the price a insane, and tbh it still kinda is... I totally understand why it costs so much. Honestly I think theres maybe 2000 parts in this kit :p And the level of detail of the mouldings is truly insane... I honestly didnt think such level of detail in plastic injection moulding was even possible.

In fact theres so many small fragile parts its actually a little scary working on this kit... I started Xmas day and right away found I had to paint the cockpit. So that caused me delays in the build part of the build :p But I ended up with something.... okay . Ive not done as good as some of the other artists here... But I hope its ok...

HgjTAyq.jpg

Cw9NAHM.jpg

KVsAcD7.jpg

tvMKRBP.jpg

KREpxHl.jpg

HgjTAyq.jpg

Masking the windows... I must admit i did the underside too and pealed that off, it didnt come out amazing. The tape i have I just doesnt appear to be that amazing.

bbk8g1e.jpg

And a still from the timelapse im recording while i work on this..... Ill make a video posting when im done....
PczK92t.jpg

This etched part was a right worry for me. TBH i still think maybe the plastic part might have been the better choice. It seems to have more details on it...

I used plastic cement seems to work...

Im also not entirely sure about the canopy... Im keeping the windowless version on hand so I can swap it out if i want to.... But when i finalise before painting im going to be doing some glueing and filling... Theres some uncomfortable gaps in some of the parts....
3gVxoqb.jpg

Now this last picture.... looking at the internal moulding its clear they had some kind of intension for putting the headlights on the mandibles... Now while its not ANH accurate... im wondering wether to drill holes for 3mm leds on the grill ends or not.......... What are other peoples thoughts?

Ive not really planned to extensively modify the kit and keep mostly to the plans, so i guess it might end up being a bit of a hybrid... I do plan to expend on the lighting a little but not go really over the top. What do you think?

Last edited:
It all depends on what your goal is. Something accurate to ANH? Don't add headlights. Something that pleases you and you like headlights? Add headlights. I mean, does it matter what anybody else thinks?

:)

heh yeah im not a super pureist
I like the headlights
its just so scary doing something that i cant go back on with this kit......... But its settled im doing it!

IMG_20191229_004852.jpg
IMG_20191229_004930.jpg
IMG_20191229_004857.jpg

So I did it!

Worked out well... The black paint the is to block the light bleed.... There's some on the inner side but I'm keeping that... As I quiet like the light there....

Dawn these thin wiry parts are terrifying to handle. Scary fragile...

I swapped out the power box because i added a few extra leds, and wanted to have the leds run off a power brick of some kind rather than batteries...

Finally managed to finish constructing the kit... I must admit it took longer than I thought it would... Kinda glad that parts done. Now I can have fun painting it and giving it more life....
wwaFQWU.jpg

ga4eVpA.jpg

LEytV1D.jpg

However I have a couple of spare parts is this normal? I cant find where these go in the book...
W3 is a duplicate right? 1 W3 is used on the back engine greebles but if theres another no idea where. Cant find it in the book.
qXwiod6.jpg

S2 28, Gone over the book twice and cant find where that is meant to go... Is it just a duplicate of S1 28? as it looks like its a mirror sprue?
TBx5HX3.jpg

Another still from the time lapse at the end.
aGqeL3N.jpg

Gonna take a few days off from this... I need to focus on my other projects and get some headway on those... Ill likely start painting this next week...

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but In the Bandai instructions in the front they put an X over "unused" parts that are spare or duplicate parts. Fine Molds also did similar where they listed which parts were not used. Some of the Space battleship Yamato kits for example have parts that are duplicate simply because there might have been used for a shared spruce with a variant in another kit or it was more economical molding wise to include an extra part if making multiple copies of a sprue then putting it onto it's own sprue if there was an odd number needed.

For example, say you only need 3 of a small part. But they put 2 per sprue and have two sprues because lots of other bits on there are used twice, you will have one "unused" part left over

I couldn't find the PG Falcon instrucions on line, but here is an example of the Bandai 1/1000 Ginga Experimental Ship of Transcendental Dimension GINGA (1/1000) (Plastic model) Assembly guide14

Notice sprue H at the lower left has two spures, but you only need the parts from one and sprue I has two copies, but you only need two of the fins from the first one, and one from the second, the fourth is not needed.

Last edited:
managed to get a good dusting of primer over the whole falcon just as the can ran out
Should be enough to start airbrushing on once its set in an hour or so.... Will get based colour down today

Ok top side base coat done... I gone with a light duck egg grey... Hand mixed to a light grey with a hint of blue... The first coat i put on was actually a good deal darker and bluer... and when it dried it looked way way way off... But this is looking better... I didnt want to go with a off white neutral grey... As various reference photos show that its not quite perfect grey or dirty white... And I knew ILM has a thing for duckegg sooooo it was a guess :D

IMG_20200115_184306.jpg
IMG_20200115_184312.jpg

Bottom side Base coat done... I first need to paint the landing gear, then seal it in Lacquer so it would be strong enough (not to scratch) so I can sit the model on the fear... And paint the rest.....

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back