My Back to the future 2 Hoverboard

agredfearn

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and just wanted to get some feedback on my latest project, the bttf2 hoverboard.
Here is a link to some pictures of current progress and some below.

a.JPGb.JPGc.JPG

As you can see it is currently unfinished, I have really struggled to get the metal discs made as Ideally I want them to be lathed from an aluminium disc (the thing is heavy!)
I'm really pleased with the plastic hardware on the base, I drew up the CAD files myself from these drawings and printed them on an ultimaker 2. If anyone is interested in the stl files I will put them up on thingiverse.

Current plan for the discs is to cut and lathe them from a thick grey plastic sheet (19.5mm thick), them paint to give metallic effect.

Any feedback is welcomed, I'm just getting into this prop replica business!

Andrew

Last edited:
Nice work on that board. There is more you can do though if you want.

The Mattel hoverboard is so collectible, no one does anything with it. Another company Halloween Costumes (HC) basically cloned the board and sells it for $50.

It is inexpensive enough and not collectible-grade. So people tore into it to mod it. You might want to check out the topic on that board for tips and tricks.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=233414&

very nice job on the board! i think your the first one to machine hover magnets?! please keep us posted on your magnet fabrication

Hello! Update!

The board is finished(ish), here are a couple of beauty pics:

A.JPGB.JPG

Closer up pics are here.

So to get the discs done I came up with a design I knew I could pull off with the tools at hand. This diagram helps:

Cross section of disc.jpg

Started with two laser cut acrylic discs, the larger one was routed around the edge. Then to complete the contours and connect the two discs a ring was 3D printed. These parts actually came together really well and after paint it was not too obvious (unless up close) that they were separate parts. See 80's montage pic below!

View attachment disc_process_small.jpg

So I'm very pleased with the outcome, the silver paint has scratched up a bit, as metallic paints are prone to doing, but I think it adds to the piece. I want to add screw heads to the plastic hardware, tried some black philips screw heads but they looked a bit crappy, so I might print some 'Future-screws' for them!

The Mattel hoverboard is so collectible, no one does anything with it.

Given the price of them today, would you want to cut it up? I'd love to upgrade to the sticker to real lenticular but unless you know what you are doing, could end in tears.

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see it is currently unfinished, I have really struggled to get the metal discs made as Ideally I want them to be lathed from an aluminium disc (the thing is heavy!)
It looks good. What is the actual board made from?

Given the price of them today, would you want to cut it up? I'd love to upgrade to the sticker to real lenticular but unless you know what you are doing, could end in tears.

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't a critique. I don't care if people want to mod their matty board or not.

Just giving TC some background on why I'm linking a particular topic.

Thanks! Its plywood, couldn't find one piece thick enough so I glued and screwed two that were half the thickness together.

View attachment board_evol.jpg

The kick up was a bit of a pain, but was just an angled cut, then flipped the end piece, then more glue and screws.
Spent a lot of time with filler to get a really smooth finish with no sharp angles, the final pic above was only half way through this process.
Up close you cant see any evidence of the plywood layers.

Nice work man!!

I have the mattel board but there is NO way i am ripping that apart lol

Yeah that is where I am with mine too. Back when they were released ($220USD?) I wasn't going to even buy one, then I found a guy with 6 on Flee-bay for $99USD and so I bought one knowing I would spend more building one. After a few months, the sticker began to peel and I was going to rip it off and replace it, when I noticed they were now selling for almost a grand.

Yeah that is where I am with mine too. Back when they were released ($220USD?) I wasn't going to even buy one, then I found a guy with 6 on Flee-bay for $99USD and so I bought one knowing I would spend more building one. After a few months, the sticker began to peel and I was going to rip it off and replace it, when I noticed they were now selling for almost a grand.

Yeah i missed the boat at the time because i was knee deep in predator stuff, luckily BBTS had bouncing in and out of stock so i jumped on their last one when they put it back up.. the stand is shocking im sure they had a good laugh when they added the stand. Batteries came out immediately, it got so annoying i almost made it fly lol its been on display with my mags and ive been lucky with the stickers...

For the price you have to pay for one now, i would be gutted when receiving it... So much better could have been done...

I still remember the day I opened the box (at work with a BTTF fan and work college) and we could find 3AA batteries fast enough. By the end of the day, we couldn't find a screw driver to remove fast enough :) I vote that noise to be the 2nd most annoying in the world.

I still remember the day I opened the box (at work with a BTTF fan and work college) and we could find 3AA batteries fast enough. By the end of the day, we couldn't find a screw driver to remove fast enough :) I vote that noise to be the 2nd most annoying in the world.

I never put batteries in mine! :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back