My alternative Temple of Doom display

Knightjar

Sr Member
I wanted to do something a bit different for The UK Prop Party at the NEC. So I pushed ahead with a project I've had in mind for some time. We keep a a large collection of invertebrates, including several species that were used in the secret passage scene in ToD. My plan was to create a display showcasing those insects, as well as the statue that hides the hidden entrance.

I carved stone panels to go inside a glass vivarium from insulation foam, including one with the wedge-shaped hole that accesses the key to the 'spikes' room. I coated them with PVA and painted them with acrylics.

I sculpted the statue in WED clay on a curved plywood structure, made a silicone mould and cast it in fibreglass. It was pretty tight - I finished the paint job about two hours before I had to pack it into the car to leave for the show! There are more details and pictures here if you're interested: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Statue Replica

Here's the clay sculpt:
indiana_jones_temple_doom_statue_sculpt_02.jpg

This is the remains of the sculpt, the cast fibreglass piece and the silicone mould:
indiana_jones_temple_doom_statue_mould_04_parts.jpg

Here's the finished piece on display at the Prop Party:
display.jpg

display2.jpg

Dr Jones on hand to try out the statue...
indy.jpg

A look inside the insect display. In real life, insects need to eat, so I had to hide a lot of my stone-work behind leaves for them.
viv.jpg

The real stars. Incidentally, despite the sequence being set in India, these guys are from actually Australia, New Guinea and Madagascar.
et-1.jpg

EC_roach.jpg

Oh man, that statue is PERFECT. What a neat idea man, really great. As OP said, it's always fun to see something that hasn't been done before.

Awesome! After seeing your pictures, I suggested to my wife that maybe we should try to incorporate a statue like yours as a possible ''secret entrance'' to our future home theater! She said no. (I really liked it though!) :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back