My Alien and Predator sculpts

both look good, and i would be interested in an alien head, be nice on my mantle piece
oh and how are you planning on moulding the alien head? i can see the mouth posing some problems

Hi

I'm going to cast the alien head in several different pieces: one casting for the dome, another one for the neck, another one for the lower mandible, another one for the lips and finally one for those tendons. I will use silicone. I thinks its going to be difficult...

Anyways, I have made the casting of the Predator head, and I have found a not-so-unexpected problem: the membranes of the mandibles are too thick, and I cant seem to get them right when I pour latex in the mould (I'ts a plaster mould). Maybe I just have to sculpt the mandibles again and have a separated casting, then attach it to the head.

BTW, is there an effective way to avoid that nasty line which shows where the two parts of the mould join? If I use latex to hide it, then I'll erase the textures of that zone and it will look weird...

Somehow I feel I'm kind of good at sculpting, but I suck at casting u_U (crappy materials dont help)

Hi

I'm going to cast the alien head in several different pieces: one casting for the dome, another one for the neck, another one for the lower mandible, another one for the lips and finally one for those tendons. I will use silicone. I thinks its going to be difficult...

Anyways, I have made the casting of the Predator head, and I have found a not-so-unexpected problem: the membranes of the mandibles are too thick, and I cant seem to get them right when I pour latex in the mould (I'ts a plaster mould). Maybe I just have to sculpt the mandibles again and have a separated casting, then attach it to the head.

BTW, is there an effective way to avoid that nasty line which shows where the two parts of the mould join? If I use latex to hide it, then I'll erase the textures of that zone and it will look weird...

Somehow I feel I'm kind of good at sculpting, but I suck at casting u_U (crappy materials dont help)

all two part molds have seam lines. how well you did your mold dictates how big your seam line will be. but even the best mold typically have the lines. they just need to be cut off after demolding. put up a pic of the mandible problem you have. i dont really follow what the problem is.

Right now I can no longer take photos of the problem because I've tried to fix it cutting pieces of foam to fill the broken parts of the mandibles (I dont have enought latex to repeat the mask right now so I'll just try to fix this one.

If only I could use some latex foam or something...

Here I have a schematic of the problem:

esta2-1.jpg

The pink lines shows the part that didnt get out from the mould when I pulled the mask. It's like latex couldn't enter into that part of the mould or something

esta2-1.jpg

seam lines aren't so much of a problem, once you get good at making moulds you'll be able to get thin seams that can be trimmed away to nothing, also ppl try and hid the seams under the dread line.
as for the mandibles, can't tihnk how you can fix the problem but if you had looked at how other pred masks are moulded ppl tend to do the mandibles separate, the 2 pred masks i own have the lower mandible separate and need to be glued on. you can barely see the seam once painted but it solves your problem.

as for the alien head moulding, making multiple moulds would be a good idea if you want that lvl of details, hope it turns out. if you were to sell them i would be interested in buying one

It seems the mandible problem is caused because air gets trapped in the mould, preventing the latex from filling it. Maybe if I try to inyect it carefully in the mandibles I can still make this casting work. If not, I will just sculp the mandibles again in a different piece.

Hello again!

I've finally fixed and painted the mask. I still have to add some details to the teeth (and find a way to glue them correctly to the mask) and put some foam inside the head so it doesn't get misshapen, but here you have some pics of how it's looking so far. By the way, I would sell masks like this one, painted, for a low price, in order to get the budget I need to finish the costume. If you are interested, PM me

e.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

e.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

Wow, those are really good sculps.Would love to be able to do that.maybe one day..

Good luck with the contest,Daren

i'd also be really interested in the alien casting, looks fantastic right now and alien heads are damn hard to come by. could be a fair bit of money in it for you!

Any more work on the Alien, Yarko? BTW, that Predator turned out really nicely. Glad to see you fixed that problem earlier. Totally worth the time you spent figuring out what was going on.

\m/

Hi!

The alien is still in 'stand by' while I get the funds to make it properly (I need to buy so many expensive materials to make it right...). I really hope I can make it soon, the clay is starting to crack. I'll have to fix it before the moulding. I also have to fix a slight problem with the curvature of the dome, but I don't think that will be a big deal.

Another problem here is that I need help for the moulding. I will make like four or five different moulds from this sculpt (dome, neck, lips, cheek tendons, lower mandible) and that makes it my hardest project ever. I want to have my teacher help me in this one, but he's not available right now.

Sorry for the long wait, but I hope it will be worth it

I'm sure it would be. What are you thinking of making the different pieces out of? Wouldn't you be able to make the lips, neck, and lower-mandible together? I understand why you would keep the tendons and dome seperate, but four or five different molds seems a little much, even for an Alien.

If I were just going to make resin busts, I would use two or three moulds, but I'm planning to make two versions of the alien head, a resin bust for furniture and an 'animated' wearable dragon-skin mask. I want it to be able to open mouth, frown lips to show teeth, get the tongue out... That's why I need so many moulds, because they will have diferent mechanisms inside. But if I see that's too much time, work and money, I may do an easier mould for resin casting only. I can always do the wearable one later...

Meditate about this I will

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back