My Adventures in 3D Printing

Has anyone created any sort of guide on the principals of how to mix 3d printing resins to create specific types of custom resins?

I believe most mix between 10 and 20%, depending on the type of resin, and you will have to do a test to see if it gives you the result you need/want.

He talks a bit about the mixing?

Last edited:
Thread title changed!

I received my AnyCubic Photon Mono X and Wash and Cure 2.0. Setup was fairly simple.

287560B7-95F1-4D4C-B327-D7974ADD6CCC.jpeg

I went ahead and printed the test file with minimal success... What was supposed to be a cubical lattice with the AnyCubic log in the middle came out a flattened shape, earning my Tested demerit badge for a failed 3D print (although SLA and not FDM)...

CD19FD75-ED1B-4F89-BFAD-0AAD05E2D081.jpeg

7B36554A-0977-41E4-A2F3-93913AB2214E.jpeg

My conclusion was the build plate was not properly leveled, which prevented the resin from adhering properly, resulting in the print sticking to the bottom of the resin vat. After some gentle prying, I was able to get it off.

After re-leveling the build plate, I reattempted the test print - success!
F230EAE9-BE97-4B15-AE41-D92749EC2F80.jpeg

I‘ve been cranking these out for my kids who love them but keep breaking them...

So far, really happy with the printer! Love the app that lets you monitor print progress!
EF2C9760-1F03-4D71-8F06-136063E99F01.jpeg

I’m working on some YouTube videos for my channel (https://youtube.com/c/SPProps) to document what I‘ve learned so far.

Next up will be familiarizing myself with one of the slicing programs and tackling something a little more complicated...

Sean

Last edited:
I just ordered a uniz IBEE, so we shall see how it works out. Prints look great on it, but it seems people have a hard time with it.

For resins my favorite is Esun Hard and Tough. Epax hard is also quite good. Dimensional accuracy and lack of brittleness (toughness in industry terms) are hard to find! Elegoo and other printer brand resins are generally mediocre in my experience.

I can assure you I will be purchasing the absolute cheapest resin I can for the first dozen screwups I’ll be printing. Might try corn syrup first.

Once I feel I “deserve” better resin, I will take that advice.

all resins perform differently and require testing and different settings. So you HAVE to screw up in order to find the right settings for each resin. They have test files to print and use to lock in your settings. I would join the facebook group for the printer you bought and just monitor it.

I created a burner account just for 3dprint groups. Facebook suspended it, I finally got it back. I don't know why they suspended it.

I am new to the whole 3d printing myself, and just recently got a QiDi Tech S-box resin printer. Aside from a few setbacks, I love it. Most of the issues I've had with it so far are from new user error.

I’m having some user errors problems myself…

One of my kids asked for another of the AnyCubic test prints…didn’t come out so well…
293B7EEC-E86E-493F-B556-0F80769CC561.jpeg

Following which, I took a crack at printing some of the Anders PKD parts to compare to my Tomenosuke kit. I had 6 parts on the build plate. 2 finished…
14E7DC86-305D-4F6B-8942-0664D8C19C0F.jpeg

Only the left cover was usable… (next to the painted Tomenosuke cover)
5D8D8CD1-99B5-4354-A278-0F02FF6940DD.jpeg

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on, but I gave everything a thorough cleaning and will try again today.

Sean

I’m having some user errors problems myself…

One of my kids asked for another of the AnyCubic test prints…didn’t come out so well…
View attachment 1451735
Following which, I took a crack at printing some of the Anders PKD parts to compare to my Tomenosuke kit. I had 6 parts on the build plate. 2 finished…
View attachment 1451740

Only the left cover was usable… (next to the painted Tomenosuke cover)
View attachment 1451741

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on, but I gave everything a thorough cleaning and will try again today.

Sean

I haven't had a problem yet (touch wood) with my Mono X, but I remember that keeping the temperature of the resin as warm as possible had fixed any bed adhesion problems on my Elegoo Mars. If that doesn't work, you could try coating the inside of the FEP with teflon/silicon spray.

TazMan2000

I haven't had a problem yet (touch wood) with my Mono X, but I remember that keeping the temperature of the resin as warm as possible had fixed any bed adhesion problems on my Elegoo Mars. If that doesn't work, you could try coating the inside of the FEP with teflon/silicon spray.

TazMan2000
Great tips! Thank you!

Sean

My first major issue was pretty bad. Somehow the fep film got punctured during a print and resin got everywhere. Luckily I was able to clean the lcd panel with no issues. But God it was a horrible mess! A total pain in the ass to clean.

Welcome to the wonderful world of resin printing. The hard part is knowing the only way to figure it out is through failure. Meaning there is no other way to figure out the best resin settings with out printing multiple failures to dial it in. There is no way to figure out the best orientation for a model every time with out multiple prints. But once you have the experience it becomes awesome and the addiction kicks in.

Yeah, I should just get the printer and start stinkin’ up the joint.

If the only way to learn is via failure, that’s right up my alley.

It's like cooking in that you can watch people demo it for you, but until you do it you can't fully understand it. Once you learn it you have a new skill that is highly valuable for many different aspects of your life outside of the original purpose you learned it for. And you can get high off the fumes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back