My Adventures in 3D Printing

Hey Sean,

Have you switched out your nozzle yet? I just did on the Kobra Max to test out a 0.8m nozzle, but I managed to break off the brass nozzle and buggered up the whole hot end. I did the same thing on my old CR-10S so I'm thinking the factory must put in some loctite on the nozzles. When I installed a new hot end on my CR, I could switch nozzles easy, even after months of use.

Good thing is that the hot ends on this machine are not expensive. $20CAD, so I ordered a couple. One, I'll keep at 0.4mm and the other at 0.8mm. The hot end assembly is fairly easy to change, so it would make more sense than unscrewing the nozzles.

Weird thing, is that a hardened steel nozzle is worth about three times the whole hot end on Amazon, but they're supposed to last longer.

TazMan2000
Not on my KM but I swapped out the nozzle on my Vyper, which uses the same hot end.

AnyCubic has a video for the Vyper that basically has you heat up the hot end to its max temp, hold the block with a pair of pliers or something, and then remove the nozzle. Seemed to work for me without damaging anything.

Have you seen the new Kobra 2 Max? It’s only slightly larger than the KM, but has a few other upgrades. I’m seriously looking at replacing my KM as I have a 3D printed R2 project on the horizon…

Sean

Not on my KM but I swapped out the nozzle on my Vyper, which uses the same hot end.

AnyCubic has a video for the Vyper that basically has you heat up the hot end to its max temp, hold the block with a pair of pliers or something, and then remove the nozzle. Seemed to work for me without damaging anything.

Have you seen the new Kobra 2 Max? It’s only slightly larger than the KM, but has a few other upgrades. I’m seriously looking at replacing my KM as I have a 3D printed R2 project on the horizon…

Sean
I'll probably get a used one when print farms get rid of theirs, but it's nice to for once see a print volume for more than just the occasional Benchy.

Sean
Yeah. I followed the instructions. It has to be hot as to ensure the melted filament doesn’t clog the threads and prevent the nozzle from turning.

I removed the nozzle on the new hot end and it did have some sort of compound on the threads. There shouldn’t be any to my knowledge. Even anti-seize compound can cause problems when extruding.

I wish that waited a couple of weeks. I could have got the new Kobra 2.

TazMan2000

Haven’t been doing a ton of printing as of late, but recently took on a handful of commissions.

Here’s a replica of Baylan Skoll’s lightsaber from Ahsoka, printed on the Phrozen Sonic Mega 8K in Phrozen’s ABS-like resin.

These parts are right out of the cure station so no surface prep has been done. Everything is dry fit.

Files are from Mystery Makers.

Sean

IMG_0467.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back