My 3' Imperial Star Destroyer

Thats incredible detail!
great job!
I am guesing you are trying to use the same kits the studio used to detail the prop ships?
here are a few shots of a six foot Star destroyer made completely out of cardboard even the side detail .the whole thing is lit with christmas tree bulbs !
this was built before the plastic kit was released back in the 70's and had a lot of guess work because of the lack of any detail photos at the time. after a time its sagged a bit in places ,should have started with wood or plastic ..

SDcard.jpg
SDcard2.jpg
SDcard3.jpg
SDcard4.jpg

jawdrop.gif

OH...MY...GOD

vos, dude, you are awesome! that SD is so deliciously detailed that it makes me want to eat it
icon_biggrin.gif
How do you plan to display it? i seriously hope that you scratch a scaled blockade runner/falcon or shuttle to go along with this beast. i am quite sure your masterful skills are up to it.

Bryan

hi mr predicta,
Great cardboard destroyer...wow.
I'm not using the exact kits on mine. I'm just using what I think looks good...plenty of 1:700 battleships etc

Bryan, thanks dude! I'm going to get an MR style display case made with a mirrored base (like the AT-AT)
I want to make a mini Falcon to sit on the rear of the bridge (waiting for the garbage to be dumped)

cheers
Neil

Here is a little preview of the upper level detailing that I have been working on. I've still got a long way to go yet though
icon_smile.gif

DSCF0839.jpg

DSCF0843.jpg

DSCF0839a_1.jpg

Thanks to wackychimp for hosting

Neil

I wish it was as easy as it looks.
icon_lol.gif

I'm very much a beginner at scratchbuilding and am learning (and bodging) as I go. Building models in a kitchen doesn't help, but I'll have a workshop one day! I'm going to try something smaller and more delicate next.

Neil

man vos, this just keeps looking better and better each day. for a beginner scratchbuilder, you're doing a fantastic job. i can't wait to see this completed.

Bryan

Thanks chaps. I think I'll be done with this project in a couple of weeks. While the missus is away I'm going to pile all of my spare time into it
icon_smile.gif

Cheers
Neil

Here's an update :)

I almost completely stripped the belly of it's detail and made it 200% more subtle. I just need to darken up the scribed lines slightly and then do a white wash to damped the grey panels down a bit.

I've done quite a bit more work on the upper section but am still adding detail as I go.

Once I've completed the upper levels I am going to build one of the turbo laser bases and cast 7 copies.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/DSCF0890.jpg[/image]

Cheers
Neil

Thanks guys :) It was pretty scary stripping the model back, but I am really glad I did it now. It matches the top section now.

Jamie,
Okay, where can I get me two of those? ;) Pretty please?
I have ordered a couple of 18mm faceted beads and a couple of 20mm faceted beads (after looking for weeks) similar to these:
[image]http://www.earthstone.com/Info/Beads/Img%20260/268-1001%20Brandy%20Crystal%20Faceted%20Round.jpg[/image]

They'll do the job but the crystal you posted looks better.

Cheers guys
Neil

oh, here's a closer shot of the bridge
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/DSCF0894.jpg[/image]

Man Neil. That ship is shaping up great. You're inspiring me to tackle one of these in the future.

Continue you're awesome work and keep posting your progress.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back