My 3' Imperial Star Destroyer

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Laser Brain, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Hi guys,

I've been busy on my first studio scale scratch build project... my WIP 3" Star Destroyer. 3 months of on/off work so far (when the girlfriend permits)...I'd say I'm half way to completing this project.

There are untold 1/700 battleship/destroyer parts, Karl Morser parts etc....way too many to list right now (I can't even remember half of them)

I've worked from pics and drew up some very rough plans before making a start. Most of the work has been eyeballed so I'm sure it's a bit off in places.

It has lights in the engines and all around the body and bridge. More pics when I'm nearer to completion [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to BigVade for inspiring me to tackle this project [​IMG]

Cheers
    Neil

2. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

OHMYGOD! Neil that's great!!!

What did you use for the primary hull?

3. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Thanks Mike [​IMG]

The hull is made from 2 layers of 2mm thick styrene. I used brass rods to strengthen the frame. I am running my electronics along these too.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Neil

4. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Good Lord! I really wish that you guys would make plans for the basic construction though. If I had instructions for the basic shape I think I could tacle the rest - but Man that is one hell of an impressive model! Awesome work. Is there any way to convince you to take csome measurements of lengths and angles?

Jedi Dade

5. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Thanks JD!
    I don't see why not [​IMG]

I have a template that I made for the hexagonal supports. Once you have the distance that these are spaced apart you can create the shape.

I'm not sure how accurate it is to the real thing, but it seems to have worked OK.

Neil

6. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

Looks really awesome! I wish I had the skills to build something like that!!

Really great work!!

7. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Neil, as Vader would say......

"Impressive, most impressive"

I can't wait to see it completed and lit.

Rolando

8. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Neil, as I've already told you! AWESOME!!! This is one thread that I will follow VERY closly![​IMG]

Steve.

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Beautiful work. Have you thought about making kits?? [​IMG]

10. cking

cking Sr Member

Neil,

You already know what I think about this! FANTASTIC work.
    Can't wait to see it finished and I REALLY wish it would be possible to have a kit of this. I just don't have the skill to build one from scratch! I HATE YOU! [​IMG]

Chris

11. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

VERY nice man!!

[​IMG]

12. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Can't wait to see it finished and I REALLY wish it would be possible to have a kit of this. I just don't have the skill to build one from scratch! I HATE YOU!</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Okay, it's a concensus then, we all hate Neil! [​IMG]

The tubing for the structure and wiring is a great idea. *! I so want one of these now!

13. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Cheers Mike [​IMG]

Thanks a bunch guys!
    So far this project has been a massive lesson in patience. I'm not the most patient of people and usually if I want something I want it NOW. After all my work I just hope the dodgy electronics don't set fire to it [​IMG]

There are so many undercuts from the detailing on the model, particularly on the sides, the engines and the docking bay that, unfortunately it would never survive being wrapped in silicon. It would be torn apart removing it from any mold.

Neil

14. bowjunkie35

bowjunkie35 Well-Known Member

Incredible Neil!!

Having seen and held your work in person, I know how sweet this thing will be! [​IMG]

15. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow - that is really fantastic.

I can't wait to see more pictures.

Your training is now complete. [​IMG]

16. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Thanks guys.
    Here are a few more pics. The lights come out blue from my camera, but they are white in reality. I went for LEDS to light the main engines rather than halogens. I'm sure you can see BigVade's influence on this part of the model.

I'm off travelling for a month so I'll be packing the model away until my return....then I'll finish detailing the lower section and begin work on the upper half. Who knows, I might get it finished by Easter [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil

17. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Unbelievable! That is such a cool ship! Scary good talent at hand here!

18. jcuri1

jcuri1 New Member

Very Nice! I hope i can do mine that knid of justice.

19. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Thanks Again guys. [​IMG]
    Good luck with you model jcuri1. Have you started it yet?

Neil

20. jcuri1

jcuri1 New Member

Neil
    Have not started assembeling, but have many donor kits. I'm trying to get a pattern going, i think getting the shape is the main thing. Once the hull is done, easy going? Again yours looks great and so do the rest of the others I have seen. Keep the pictures coming. John

21. Sci Fi Smoker

Sci Fi Smoker New Member

That's a really cool build.

22. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

John, Yeah...I think once the shape is done, the rest is the fun part I think. I built my structure without having many kits, so I've been buying as I go along..mainly 1/700 Hasegawa kits. You can see, I'm using a fair bit of artistic license with the model. It's ANH size, but it's got an element of the larger model in it.

Here's my last update for a while. I've difused the light in the docking bay area. Sorry for the crappy pic, but I had the lighting down and had to alter the levels to compensate.

**EDIT**
    Fixed the docking bay orientation issue.

[​IMG]

Neil

23. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, that is really impressive. I can't wait to see more!

24. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Just a word of advise if I may. I would personally tone down the outer skin texture detail as the original model was very subtle.

25. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

HOLY.........My god man thats AWESOME!!!! I just found this thread and I have to say that I'm humbled by your work! I'm stunned to hear that my ISD was an inspiration to you...I'm honored....thanks so much for the mention. It's so cool to see someone else doing in of these suckers. I can't wait to see how your upper superstructure/bridge turns out. You da MAN!!! [​IMG]

Robert[​IMG][​IMG]

26. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

I don't know weather to drool first or put my eyes back in my head. That is one of the most beautiful models I have seen. Let me know when it's done so I can give you my shipping address [​IMG]

MORE PICS!!

27. PHArchivist

Just keeps getting better!

28. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Thanks guys [​IMG]

Jamie, you're definately right about toning down the detail. I'm going to sand back many of the small panels slightly so they are not so raised.

Thanks for the feedback
    Neil

29. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Neil,

Hey no problem [​IMG] BTW glad to hear you are ok!
    Here are a couple of shots which may help you. I took 150 photographs of her in Chicago on Monday. * another project to add to the list... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

30. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

31. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very impressive work!

I agree with Jamie about the prominence of the raised details. I hesitated to say anything for fear of threadcrapping. Glad to see constructive criticism is welcome. [​IMG]

32. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

33. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Jamie,
    Your pics above are of the 3 footer from ANH yes? I ask because they look a lot differnet from the pics I took at MoM in Brooklyn a while back of the ESB SD... Just calrifying so we all know what we are looking at [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

34. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Yea the ones I posted are of the ANH 3'. The model is in Chicago right now.

35. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

36. star-art

star-art Sr Member

37. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

A bit more progress on the top.....

[​IMG]

Neil

38. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Neil, that's BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see how the bridge piece turns out. Looks like you have a lot of kool detail along the sides, too. Keep it up!

Robert [​IMG]

39. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

thanks Robert. I'm gonna finish the bridge area once I have completed the lighting inside. I think I'll find the angles on the bridge quite a challenge to be honest. I'm running out of kits to use to detail the flipping thing too [​IMG]

Neil

40. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Geez, that's a great project! Fantastic job so-far [​IMG]

H

41. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

Thats incredible detail!
    great job!
    I am guesing you are trying to use the same kits the studio used to detail the prop ships?
    here are a few shots of a six foot Star destroyer made completely out of cardboard even the side detail .the whole thing is lit with christmas tree bulbs !
    this was built before the plastic kit was released back in the 70's and had a lot of guess work because of the lack of any detail photos at the time. after a time its sagged a bit in places ,should have started with wood or plastic ..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

42. bwize

bwize Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    OH...MY...GOD

vos, dude, you are awesome! that SD is so deliciously detailed that it makes me want to eat it[​IMG].
    How do you plan to display it? i seriously hope that you scratch a scaled blockade runner/falcon or shuttle to go along with this beast. i am quite sure your masterful skills are up to it.

Bryan

43. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

hi mr predicta,
    Great cardboard destroyer...wow.
    I'm not using the exact kits on mine. I'm just using what I think looks good...plenty of 1:700 battleships etc

Bryan, thanks dude! I'm going to get an MR style display case made with a mirrored base (like the AT-AT)
    I want to make a mini Falcon to sit on the rear of the bridge (waiting for the garbage to be dumped)

cheers
    Neil

44. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Here is a little preview of the upper level detailing that I have been working on. I've still got a long way to go yet though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to wackychimp for hosting

Neil

45. bobasfett

bobasfett Well-Known Member

Looks incredible Vos!!!

46. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

47. PHArchivist

You guys make this look easy!

48. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

I wish it was as easy as it looks. [​IMG]

I'm very much a beginner at scratchbuilding and am learning (and bodging) as I go. Building models in a kitchen doesn't help, but I'll have a workshop one day! I'm going to try something smaller and more delicate next.

Neil

49. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Unbelievable! It just keeps getting better and better!

Robert [​IMG]

50. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Thanks Robert [​IMG]

Here's the bridge structure roughed in:

[​IMG]

Neil