My 1st Prop from Scratch - Hellboy's Big Baby Build Thread

looking awesome. I bet its still lighter than the sideshow version. No idea what they made the original out of but there is no way in hell that Ron Pearlman could have held a solid one out at arms length to fire it at the forrest elemental.

looking awesome. I bet its still lighter than the sideshow version. No idea what they made the original out of but there is no way in hell that Ron Pearlman could have held a solid one out at arms length to fire it at the forrest elemental.

Agreed. I'm sure there are smarter ways to make this a lot lighter, but I'm not too smart. They probably used a lot of light plastics and fibreglass...

Need some advice, I've got to find a way to smooth out the round parts, the barrel and the back part of the gun. No matter how much sanding I do, I think the MDF will always show where the pieces were glued together. I'm feeling like I need to coat the whole thing in something. I can then sand down.

1) Am I right to think the MDF will show its edges
2) Was thinking a coat of bondo would sand down nicely?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Need some advice, I've got to find a way to smooth out the round parts, the barrel and the back part of the gun. No matter how much sanding I do, I think the MDF will always show where the pieces were glued together. I'm feeling like I need to coat the whole thing in something. I can then sand down.

1) Am I right to think the MDF will show its edges
2) Was thinking a coat of bondo would sand down nicely?

Any ideas?

Thanks

spot/glazing putty is the preferred method for smaller gaps or bondo for the larger stuff,

mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTtN8TXoXfVEVtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=907_GlazingAndSpotPutt.jpg

OK, got some bondo onto the 2 pieces, actually turned out really well - I was surprised:

- - - Updated - - -

Getting closer to final assembly. Here's a few pics from the recent test fit:

I've still got several pieces to 3D model and print: trigger, top sight, back "bubble" piece, the piece that turns to play the melody, the BRPD pieces.

Here's 1/2 of the back bubble (which I guess is the back end of the cylinders) part printing on the Makerbot:

Look for some more pics soon. Everything should be black by end of this week

Thanks everyone, Big baby is getting glued and screwed tomorrow... Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound so good. I'm doing final assembly (minus the stock) tomorrow, have to stain the stock still.

Last edited:
It looks really great!!! Don't think you'll make a run, do you?

Thanks, I can't see doing a run. Not sure how much time, but it's been a lot. I'm not smart/skilled enough to have made molds, this has been all setup as a one off I guess. Thanks though

Thanks, I can't see doing a run. Not sure how much time, but it's been a lot. I'm not smart/skilled enough to have made molds, this has been all setup as a one off I guess. Thanks though

Oh, that's bad :(
But if you should sell your's, just let me know :) Looking great so far!!! Thanks for the shots...

Here's a few more pics of baby screwed and glued together.

Things to finish still:

- fill and paint screw holes
- paint caulk lines
- stain oak stock
- color laserprint big baby pic and text onto clear label, affix to stock
- 3D design & print: trigger, sight, BPRD333, twisty music key thingy
- finish wedge
- repaint whole gun
- age and abuse paint layers

Thanks for the kind words

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back