My 10' WarHammer from Mechwarrior

BumblebeeRecycd

I am attempting to build a " War Hammer" from Mechwarrior, also know as a TomaHawk from Maccross. Like all of my Robots, it will be BIG...9'6" to 10', about 5' wide and about 4' thick. I know it sounds to large and unweildy, but I belive I can make one this size and still have it be very mobile.
I have picked the Warhammer as my topic because of his 2 HUGE gun arms. they will allow me to use a gimmick I saw called a Vortex Cannon....basicly a Air gun that shoots large visable smoke rings up to 30' away.
My chosen material is EVA foam, as first introduced to me by EvilFX, but built on an Aluminium skeleton. I am about 6-7 weeks into the build and already have a fair amout of progress.
I built 5 diffrent "Vortex Cannons" to find the one with the most BOOM. I went with 2 12" cement form tube, capped at one end with cone shapped laundry baskets...currently sealed in plastic. I am planning on replacing the plastic with Drum Heads (20"). I already built a remote "Drum banger" so I can trigger the guns from my grip point midway on the arms.
This Robot offer many challenges.
1) He has a fixed head, so vision will be a problem, I am hopping to overcome that buy making the center chest peice out of polycarbon, then coatting it in "one way Mirror film"
2) His arms will be heavy, and large: I hope to solve this by having them hang from the torso, balanced in weight, them puppetering them.
3) He will be huge, so I must make the front of the torso flip up and fold into the back...making him about 31" thick....Allowing me to slip through doors sidways
4) He will be TALL, so I am working on making his shoulder missil launchers both removable and spring loaded....so I can "bump" into lowhagging obstacals and still keep moving
5) I am hopping to make him self contained.....something I can ship to "X" unload by myself. Assenble solo, then put on stilts, put on thighs/codpeice, then reach down and grab the Torso/Arms. Haul it over my head, and be ready to go.

If you pull this off you'll have every Macross/Robotech/Battletech fan chasing after you lol. You can get handlers in costume to make it look even neater too.

Hi Grave :) "If I finish this"...I have a VERY good track record of building Giant Robots. Plus I have already commited lots of time and resources to it (Plus the tickets for Vegas). Goal is to have it done for Animegacon (Vegas) for Augest. Already have
1) Thighs..90%
2) Gun Arms ...90% and 85%
3) Sholder Bells/Bicepts 90%
4) Torso frame
5) Torso missile launchers
6) Rt sholder missile launcher
Plus I have already linned up many parts that are waitting for me to order them ($), but tons of work on picking the right "stilts/PA/Smoke machines/cameras/ect
I'm a little to much in love with Giant Robots to just "Give Up" :)

Hillary+Thumbs+Up.jpg

its mostly made from aluminium and foam. plus he is used to thing this size.
im sure that its light enough most people could wear it

Hi Guys, I have succesfully mounted the shoulder missiles launchers. Far more diffacult than I planned. They have to be removable for shipping, but they end up almost 4' away from my shoulders, and behind me about 2' . Leverage is a *****. tried 3 other mounting brackets before I just ripped apart a fan, and used the slidding tubes inside :)
Please feel free to offer constructive criticism, or ask if you have any questions

Holy Crap! This is awesome. One of my all-time favorite Mecha. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

I'm planning on installing lights in them, plus the torso missile launchers will have the silo covers open apon comand, Plus each arm cannon will be a Vortex Cannon...shooting 9" smoke rings about 30'. Plus there will be 2 confettie cannons as well, plus there will be 2 silly string guns as well, plus 2-4 lasers. Plus...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back