Museum Replicas Dumbledore ensemble

filfoster

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I did a site search and found nothing so I am starting this thread. After giving up a year ago on a pre-order of the Museum Repicas Dumbledore ensemble, I routinely check several sites, including MR, to see if it has finally become available. Last week, I was amused to see '1 in stock' , size L/XL, on Amazon, of all places, so, sure that it was just an inventory glitch, I ordered it, just to embarass Amazon. I even badgered Amazon techs to point out the supposed glitch. Well, the joke was on me: I got it three days later. Evidently, MR had a very few a month or so ago and I didn't see them. Amazon evidently got a few.

Here's the deal: The costume looks just like the picture as far as the trim and details but it's a gray/green, not the purplish gray in the catalog and site photos (and the movie, for that matter!). It may be that the real one was that shade also to photograph in the lights, but I doubt it, probably just what was available in India, where these things are made, not very quickly, for MR. Wish I could post pics but those will have to wait. Anywyay, as described above, it's like the photos onsite, just a weirder color.

That's interesting! I was looking at that outfit for some time. How is the material thickness? I couldn't find it available before our early Halloween gig, and the price didn't thrill me so I wound up going with a makeshift outfit. Cool that you got one though.

The cloth is thin cotton for the inner caftan, which has black/gray striped gauzy sleeves with embroidered, pointed cuffs. The outer, embroidered sleeveless 'over-robe' is also a thinner cotton broadcloth with a floral brocade inner face, to give an brocade effect on the 'lapels', with the colored thread embroidery you see on the site photos. The sleeved 'under robe' , with the false metal buttoned front is just slightly thicker to my hand, but not much-it's lined so it's two thicknesses of the cloth. There is a metallic type cloth used for the accent down the button front trim and for the inner collar ,that shows as a trim externally.

Don't mistake the term 'thin' or 'thinner': the cloth is heavy enough to support the embroidery and altogether, the whole thing on a hanger is pretty heavy, about six pounds.

The hat is probably the best item. It's all silk brocade and nicely embroidered, with applied silver floral false embrodery, sequins and the correct 'double tassel' and 'bell' shaped metal tassel tops.

The marketing hype says it's been painstakingly copied from an original but, as that may be, many compromises have been made for production, and given the ridiculous delay, I suppose that had to be.

This is as good a licensed 'official' costume as we are likely to have and so I am content with it, but talented costumers should be encouraged that he 'definitive' screen accurate copy has yet to be made. If they are getting these in small quantities, piece-meal, then subsequent batches may be different, more accurate colored cloth. Who knows?

For the cost, I think it could be better, but it's the 'official' and complete costume, so there we are.

That's interesting! I was looking at that outfit for some time. How is the material thickness? I couldn't find it available before our early Halloween gig, and the price didn't thrill me so I wound up going with a makeshift outfit. Cool that you got one though.

Last edited:
I had looked into this last year... but it was taking forever to get anywhwere. It's actually a little disappointing to hear that for 700 dollars they couldn't get the color right.

These are arriving in such minute quantities that there's a good chance they are made by different contractors or at least with different batches of fabric so maybe the next lot will be more accurate. I agree, $700 is a lot for something that isn't the right color.

I had looked into this last year... but it was taking forever to get anywhwere. It's actually a little disappointing to hear that for 700 dollars they couldn't get the color right.

1406030099732.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1406030202124.jpg

Attachments

• 1406030099732.jpg
    1406030099732.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 182
I have put up pictures of the Dumbledore robe replica by museum replicas. I have found that the color of the robe varies with the light in the room. All in all, the color of the fabric I think is very nice as probably as close as one could get to the actual cloth used in the original costumes. My only complaint in that the tassels on the hat are quite short and I believe in the movie the tassels are much longer than on the robe replica. I bought the S/M and it fit me huge. In fact it could fit an above average sized 6 foot person quite well. I bought this mainly for display and will get a good mannequin for it as soon as I can. Bought it off amazon for $490. I give it an 8.5 of 10. Btw, its a huge b**** to put on and take off and hang it again. Quite happy with it tho. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the pictures were taken with and without flash. Flash makes the robe look greyer and normal lighting makes it look light green.

Back