MR TOS Enterprise - new pics

Here's the MR with the lights off, BTW.

DSC04057mre_litesoff.jpg

Looks awesome with the lights out even.
Man what a great collectible this is going to be.

I see it rotates on the stand there, I bet it unplugs from the stand.

The shield base IMHO is way overused, and to see it THIS big (it's like two feet long at this scale) is just too too much. Hell, they might as well slap the "STAR TREK." logo on the damn thing. :unsure

Of course I never liked the dome "planet" base either. :lol

Dignity is called for. Why can't they just use a mirrored base, or just a flat black rectangular base, linke on the Star Wars stuff.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jul 25 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1287293[/snapback]</div>
The shield base IMHO is way overused, and to see it THIS big (it's like two feet long at this scale) is just too too much. Hell, they might as well slap the "STAR TREK." logo on the damn thing. :unsure

Why can't they just use a mirrored base, or just a flat black rectangular base, linke on the Star Wars stuff.

- k
[/b]

I agree completely. :D

I hope that we will see production pics of the Enterprise before it ships, like we saw with the Falcon.

As it stands right now, IMO, they need to FIX some detail work on this model. :confused :unsure

James

Save that pic folks.

Your gonna need it to prove to people it was there. LOL

So with the tip being red would it show up less on blue screen?

And was it a lighted effects reference point for phasers and torps or an actual design feature intended to be there all along, looks like it could function as a phaser turret and actually rotate. And why does the smithsonian E have no trace of this now?

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ Jul 25 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]1287416[/snapback]</div>
So with the tip being red would it show up less on blue screen?[/b]

The way the bluescreen process works is, after the film is shot, everything that appears blue in the image is removed, and the "hole" in the picture is filled with a new image. Therefore, you can't have BLUE anywhere on the Enterprise model, or it will "drop out" and leave a hole in your ship. Sometimes blue light from the background falls on the model by accident, which is why the Enterprise sometimes seems to have a ragged edge, or parts of the engine nacelles disappear altogether.

However I don't think this would have any effect on RED things on the miniature. For example the pennants on the side (framing NCC-1701) are red, and they are still there. :D

However the little emitter nipple being so tiny, presents another problem, in that the "matte line" around the ship is not very precise, and something that small is bound to get lopped off. Look carefully at the show and see how often much larger things get lost, such as the engine pylons.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
And was it a lighted effects reference point for phasers and torps or an actual design feature intended to be there all along, looks like it could function as a phaser turret and actually rotate. And why does the smithsonian E have no trace of this now?
[/b]

The Unobtainium people had it on their Enterprise, and they called it a "photon torpedo emitter".

kt_unobtainiumnew_04.jpg

That's an interesting idea tho, maybe they intended to show the emitter (or the lower dome) rotating to various angles to fire the phasers/photons, but it never made it to the screen.

As to whether the makers of the series intended this emitter to be a phaser turret, or torpedo emitter, or something else entirely, I do not know. In the series, the phasers and photon torpedoes are seen to be coming from higher up on the saucer.

corbomite-phasersfire.jpg

1701_phasers_DOTD.jpg

The fixture on the lower dome might be some kind of sensor or telescope, a tractor beam projector, or perhaps equipment relating to the Transporter.

Folks have always wondered where the "Ion Pod" is on the ship ("Court Martial"), and some fans put it in that location in the lower saucer dome. However now that we see what it really looked like, an Ion Pod seems less likely.

The thing isn't on the ship in the Smithsonian because it broke off, or else the dome is among the parts that were missing or broken when the model was delivered, and when the dome was remade that part was not copied.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(KUROK @ Jul 25 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1287465[/snapback]</div>
If I get one, I might trim it off. It just looks odd.
[/b]

hmmmm, snip the tip.

reminds me of a certain southpark episode.

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ Jul 25 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]1287560[/snapback]</div>
Anyone have pics of the inside the homing beacon?
The MR model had detail inside there.
[/b]

What do you mean by "homing beacon". :confused

- k

I think he's refering to the dome on top of the bridge. I always thought the homing beacon in hmm... was it "The Cage" or "Where no Man has Gone Before" looked like the tip of the dome on top of the saucer section. Is that it Cessna?

*edit*

Here you go - The disaster recorder from "Where no Man has Gone Before". Definitely too small, scale wise, but as a kid, the look seemed to fit for me.

320x240.jpg

I always thought that was the turbo lift?

Howard.

P.S. MR could learn a great deal from the Unobtanium stand and base. Okay - don't match it obviously, but something along the same lines would be perfect IMHO.

Well, I never really tought the recorder was that top dome, just wondered about the similarity in look. Re: the turbo lift, I awlays thought it was this -

Turbolift.JPG

RE: Nipple. That's the shot I was talking about. See, I wasn't crazy. ;)

RE: The side lights, they got this right as well. That's exactly the way these lights were on the 11-footer.

If you folks haven't figured it out by now, MR has all the reference they need to do this right. Every little detail seems to be right on with the 11-footer as it actually was (whether or not that matches what we saw on screen).

The optical process back then was pretty sloppy. You'll see many areas of the ship getting cut off due to sloppy mattes. Ever notice how parts of the engine nacelles disappear in some shots? So there's no way you're going to see a detail like that nipple in most scenes. Even the close-up shots were so grainy, etc. that you could miss a lot of detail.

I'm not knocking anyone here -- I've been fooled about a lot of stuff for years, too. ;)

About the "homing beacon" I mentioned.......

Above the shuttle doors the large dome light. On the MR model at the con it was clear green, and there was detailing inside it. I wish I took a closer look or got a good pic.
On another forum it was recalled from an old hobby magazine that there were three colored rods inside.

I think they were trying to make an antenna like structure inside the dome like at airports for instrument landing systems. (ILS)

This is from "Joeysaddress" over at Hobby talk.........

"Modelers Resource #51 ,"On the rear of the secondary hull is a unique circle of light known to many simply as the navagation beacon. It was originally a transparent green disk with multi-colored acrylic rods that were set into it at varying heights. These were then all underlit by a single bulb that also served to light up the hangar deck doors' upper observation window."

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jul 25 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]1287325[/snapback]</div>
This appeared in my inbox, from a mystery sender. Some sort of spam I suppose. :D

[/b]

My dirty mind is working ,those pics just look disturbing. :lol

I guess it is there.

If anyone wants to take it off, it looks nothing like an exacto knife, nippers, and a little fine sand paper won't very easily fix.

It is a pretty simple fix to get rid of it.

Lynn

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back