MR Qui Gon LE Pix

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Wei, May 3, 2006.

1. Wei

Wei New Member

2. nash

nash Well-Known Member

Hi Howie. good to see you bud :). you got the inside scoops.

3. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Pretty nice pics. That's a production saber?

4. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Not me, who smuggled the saber :D
    SCNR :angel

Cool, but where's the blade?

5. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got to say that I am very excited about receiving this one. For the longest time I thought it was too simple a design but it is very cool. Mine hits the mail in the next few days.

Maybe in time I'll change my mind about the Vader ROTS LE. :eek:

6. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks nice.

I almost thought that was the MR watermark on the photos. Then I saw the reflection in the display stand in the lower photo and realized that your friend used the black MR box sleeve as a backdrop for the pics.

Thanks for posting these. :)

7. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is the sleeve chromed? It does not look like it.

8. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Lars @ May 4 2006, 05:13 AM) [snapback]1238098[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think so. I didn't think MR used many chromed pieces in any of their sabers. Usually it's just polished or buffed aluminum and in the EE line stainless steel.

9. amish

amish Sr Member

Beautiful saber.

10. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

Very nice. Better than I expected.
    [​IMG]

11. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

God I hope the CE looks half that nice. Ditto, rudolpht, this looks way better than I expected. The initial prototype shots looked blah for some reason, but the finished product--bravo.

12. MaddChinaMan

MaddChinaMan Well-Known Member

Very nice, But i'm probaly just getting the CE one. Can you disassemble them? just kinda curious.

13. Wei

Wei New Member

14. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the MR is like the chronicles one? Were there variations like the one shown?

15. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

The MR seems to match the Hero saber I saw at the AoSW exhibit in Edinburgh pretty well...can't fault it on anything really.

16. Jediwannabe

SithLord please tell us what the comparison photos are.

-Jediwannabe

17. Wei

Wei New Member

I think MR's Qui is modeled from this??

[​IMG]

PS: I forgot this photo belongs to whom, so if there is any problem of using it, please let me know.

18. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

The comparisons are of a 1st gen resin casting off an original Qui-Gon (stunt) saber from TPM compared to the MR. I know next to nothing about sabers but am interested if there were variations of the Qui-Gon...

19. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I am also interested in knowing the differences.

20. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

That's my photo Wei...no problem using it here, please credit me elsewhere. :) I have a bunch more that I took as well.

The only real variations on this saber was that the black ring under the button was sometimes silver.

To be honest, the pics of the all resin saber that Sithlord posted look like the resin saber that I produced a few years ago, it's not an original saber at all. I'm almost 100% certain thats mine...I'll dig out my pics of the hero that I took and post them for comparison.

21. Wei

Wei New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hez @ May 7 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]1239907[/snapback]</div>
    Finally know whose photo is that. Sure will give ya credit when using it. Thanks, Hez :)

22. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Got mine today. Scored #0007 of 2500, lowest I have ever gotten from MR (and I have most of their releases). Saber is beautiful. I'm very pleased.

[​IMG]

23. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hez @ May 7 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]1239907[/snapback]</div>

If there was no variation apart from the black ring button, how do explain that the main first ring should be the same width on both the MR and the original...and they are not. The rear section should be shorter as well. And the aluminum shield should be further back as on the screen original. So yours either looks like the MR/chronicles, or the screen original. Again, it appears there were variations.

[​IMG]

I would be interested to see photos of the resin saber that you produced. Did you produce any others?

24. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have never seen a pic of a real saber that did not have the step in the bulge under the emitter. (although in some pics it has been difficult to tell)
    I have also seen only one replica that had the step, but it was inaccurate in a few other ways.

I don't like the pommel of MR's saber, and I don't like the finish on the sleeve. The original hero prop looks like polished aluminum, steel or chromed. This one looks bead-blasted and anodized.
    Strange that they should give this replica the finish of a painted resin prop, while they gave the Maul saber a metal finish, even though the hero was painted resin :unsure

I also think the black parts look painted gloss black.. I know the original was kind of glossy black, but it feels off somehow.

25. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

I agree. The contrast between the gloss black and the flat aluminum is an eye sore. I think if the two finishes were slightly more complimentary then it would have looked better.

26. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was keeping quiet as I wasn't sure if it was just me or that glossy finish was just too much. I've always loved the MR interpretations, I think they do a great job of combining the "real" item with the movie "prop." But the Qui-Gon is one of my favorites and it just looks off. The black is too plastic looking and the sheath seems odd too. I think this time I'll stick with my SaberArt version.

27. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

Actually, I find it much easier to believe that MR simply screwed up the measurements than that there were several variations on the Qui-gon saber. It wouldn't be the first time they'd goofed. The hero saber that I saw matched all the screenshots, and I've never seen any variations. Maybe someone has some pics of the all resin stunt sabers archived for comparison?

The metal sleeve on the hero was a very matt finish, not polished or shiny at all. That said, to then go and give the black a very glossy finish is a slightly :confused decision.

I don't have any pics of my finished (painted) resin Qui-gon saber, just the unfinished one. I'll post them later, but I'm now 100% certain that the pics of the resin saber you posted, Sithlord, are of my saber. Or at least, a poor recast of it maybe...I don't remember turning out anything with that many airbubbles and seams in it. I also made a resin Obi-wan and an Adi Gallia.

28. Jediwannabe

Got mine this morning. I like it very much. I was hoping it to be heavier but that is not a complaint. It sure is bigger than most hilts. In all it is a welcome addition to my collection.

29. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I don't see a problem with the main first ring. It looks like it might be a little low on the MR prototype being compared.

The pommel is definitely too long. I have no idea how they screwed that up. I was hoping it was just a problem with the prototype, but it's still definitely too long in the production piece pics that started this thread. It's very obvious in all pics of the actual props that the pommel is a little shorter than the end part of the metal sleeve. The MR seems to have the pommel a little long or the sleeve a little short or combo of the two.
    The gloss black is a bit odd too. The sleeve on the original prop is just bare aluminum finish. Is the MR anodized or something?

30. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hez @ May 10 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]1241970[/snapback]</div>
    I also have a resin Obi-wan (1st gen casting from original, painted) and a production original Adi Gallia resin saber (unpainted)... if you have pics of those as well it will be interesting to compare...they don't need to be painted castings. I'm not sure how what I have is recast from your saber, since I've also seen original production molds from the same source I got my sabers from. Still, I'll keep an open mind and look forward to your photos...

regards,

Thomas

31. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Is this just a simple case of multiple versions with some variations made for the movie? So MR's version is close to a certain one? I mean didn't they have a real prop to work from?

32. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

Jediwannabe, what do you mean 'bigger'? Longer, thicker...? I don't recall the real one being noticably bigger than any others.

Sithlord, here you go. Can you post pics of your Obi-wan saber?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:...I simply can't get the pics to come out at the right size. No idea what the hell photobucket is playing at. Does your qui-gon have the curved grips?

Rad, MR supposedly had a real prop to work from for the Obi AOTC as well...look how that turned out.

33. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see little in common between them....

34. nash

nash Well-Known Member

I thought I was one of the only ones who thought that MR fumbled on this saber yet again.

It is clear that the pommel just looks weird and they couldnt even get the Red button mount right. Not to mention the MR saber just looks way to "fat".

Im in agreeance with the black being way too glossy and doesnt go well with the sleeve at all. Something about the emitter head looks weird too.

I think given the simplicity of the design on the QuiGon saber, it's much easier for MR fanatics to be extactic about it than the few more critical people that exist.

35. Tol Skorr

Tol Skorr New Member

I will definately be sticking with my custom machined Qui instead of getting the MR. MR's just doesn't look right. Now I'm glad they FINALLY made it, but,......

36. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

Well if you'd posted that pic straight away Sithlord...:lol The emitter sections look very similar, down to quite a sharp cut where the sleeve curves downwards, so that was what did it. On the other hand, I'm glad that I didn't turn out any casts that bad after all...

Nash, the red button mount (the black collar) was actually rubber on the original, so really that was never going to be replicated accurately. That said...they've made some oddly simple screwups...