MR Helmets?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Darth Maul, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I've been out of the loop for a bit and not on the site much, but what happened to the Vader and Rocketeer helmets? I know there were some quality issues that were suppose to be dealt with and last I saw on the MR site, it had the Rocketeer helmets as 'On Hold' But now they are not even listed anymore. Same thing with the Vader. Is it a case of them being Sold out, and thats why they are not there, or is it something else?

Did a search, but last thread I saw mentioning the problem was in April. Was anything ever resolved, or news on replacements ever given?

Not trying to open up a can of worms, and don't want this to turn in to a bashing thread, just curious. I've got a Rocketeer from MR, that luckily was one of the good ones, so just wondering what happened to the rest of them. And want to pick up a Vader, and while I see them around, want to know its going to be in good shape before I get it.

Thanks for any info,
    James

2. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

MR had alot of QC issues and basically stopped shipping the Vader after only the first fraction were out. There are issues with the packaging damaging the finish and the magnet latch system has issues. They are suppost to be sending replacements in the fall for those that sent in damaged ones. The others should follow that.

The Clone helmets had alot of painting issues and are being remade. (It was almost a total recall...)

No idea on the Rocketeer helmet personally, I was not involved with that one.

3. gts072

gts072 Active Member

ETA on the Vader helmet is Mid-September as told by MR customer service.

4. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

The Vader helmets were re-inspected and they're all going to need to be repaired or remade (depending on what theory you subscribe to as to what MR is going to do with the returned ones). There is no current timeframe for when that will happen.

The Rocketeer helmet? Well, being the black sheep of the MR helmet family, no one knows or is owning up to what's going to happen with it. Their shipment was halted and they were supposedly re-inspected, but I've yet to get a straight answer about what's going to happen with them, if anything.

I had an order with a distributor for the Rocketeer helmet since October 2005 for a very desireable price. About two weeks ago, I got an email from them saying that my order had been cancelled because MR contacted them and told them "Items Canceled By Manufacturer due to lateness". As to whether or not they show up in the future? That's anyone's guess.

5. cheviot

cheviot Well-Known Member

I don't know what the problem was with the Rocketeer helmets, but I wound up ordering one of the few that shipped from an eBay seller. I've looked over the whole thing and I can't find a thing wrong with it.

6. dualedge

dualedge Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Cheviot @ Jun 28 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]1270391[/snapback]</div>
    There was a thread some time back when the helmets started shipping that dealt with various issues of the Rocketeer helmet. I'll post a pic below and try to give you the cliff's notes. The helmets were getting squashed really bad from side to side. We found evidence (see pics below) that not ALL of the helmets had this problem. That basically meant it was a quality control problem rather since it wasn't like that on every helmet.

There are accuracy issues but how much that bothers you as a Rocketeer fan varies from person to person. I really like MR's helmet for price, materials and just coolness factor but on *strict* accuracy, it has lots of problems. I thought we'd have seen them start showing up again by now though and I haven't heard anything in quite a while of anyone receiving one.

The pic on the far right is a hero helmet MR used in their ads though it appears the eye lenses were missing as the eyes *look* to be photoshopped to me... Pay more attention to the shape of the body of the helmet if you really want to compare accuracy in these shots.

Rob

[attachmentid=8794]

7. kuyadavid

kuyadavid Well-Known Member

It seems quite possible at this point that Master Replicas has decided to punt on the Rocketeer helmet. All of the problems likely outweigh the financial upside of this less-than-mainstream item.

Makes me all the happier that I kept mine. Mine is narrower than the original movie helmet, but it looks really good to me as long as you don't do a side-by-side comparison between the two. I have a big head and cannot fit it over my ears :lol but many of my friends who have normal sized heads have been able to put it on.

Most importantly to me, the finish on mine was perfect. I love it. Literally. (almost)

8. scattrap

scattrap Well-Known Member

I feel for what MR must be going through right now. I worked on several apparel lines for a company I worked with a while back and it can be a nightmare working with the factorys over seas. As long as there doing a good job of fixing the issue and comunicating then all is good in the world. :)

9. cheviot

cheviot Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(dualedge @ Jun 29 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]1270834[/snapback]</div>
    Mine looks a bit wider than the middle image, but not as wide as the original helmet. Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones.

10. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Only thing I have to say on this is: Made in China. I'm not knocking Chinese made items but it is much harder to maintain control of your manufacturing when it's halfway around the world. Yes, it keeps costs down but you do lose some control that way.

11. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

<div class='quotetop'>(rad1701 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:43 AM) [snapback]1271364[/snapback]</div>
    IIRC the Rocketeer helmet was made in India.

12. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jun 30 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]1271389[/snapback]</div>
    IIRC the Rocketeer helmet was made in India.
    [/b][/quote]
    Aw F***, now I'm ashamed :(
    JJ

13. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For those of you thinking negatively about quality control overseas, I challenge you to do some research on quality control in the US. In the automotive industry, the US is one of the worst when it comes to quality control and consistency. Want good electronics goods?? You buy from Japan or China. Even Fender pulled their guitar making contract from Japan because they were producing higher quality pieces than the American factory, which is supposed to be the best.

Sounds like there's a little bias and misunderstanding on this forum when it comes to manufacturing overseas. Do some research before you give an uninformed opinion :)

14. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

All I know is I STILL want my MR Rocketeer helmet.
    They're too * cool to let slip...

15. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Lukes Roommate @ Jul 1 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]1272042[/snapback]</div>
    Ryan, a dude of your talent should round up one of the repro'd ones out there and paint it up yourself. it'll be closer to the screen used ones in a number of ways, AND you'll be able to wear it. BOOYA.

16. Java

Java Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MattMunson @ Jul 1 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]1272032[/snapback]</div>
    Those are very fair and well put nuggets of information. Japan (for the most part) just about invented the current manufacturing processes in place today (Kanban, Just-In-Time). Then there is the more "famous" ISO 9000 series of standards. This seems to be where most companies failed as so many tried to adopt the standard which only really standardized processes - not quality.

Six Sigma is the most recent quality control darling, which many companies have reaped benefits from.

Manufacturing overseas can be a boon, or a bust. It is undeniably witnessed in the small microcosm of product seen from MR. There is absolutely no denying it. Communcation can be the biggest negative.

The thing that gets me with overseas manufacturing is that the cost savings is rarely passed onto the consumer, but rather taken in by the company as profit. Hey, that's the idea of capitalism. I get it.