MR FX Maul saber pic

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by bothanspy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

small, but at least we can see it. It was shown during the UK Toy Fair

[image]http://www.theprivateuniverse.co.uk/images/news/2006_ci_dm_sm.JPG[/image]

On stand was the new Darth Maul Power FX Lightsabre which looks and feels great. The good news is that Master Replicas will be making this available to buy individually (i.e. half the full sabre) or in a two pack. This should be available in March.

2. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Thanks for the pic.... This should come with detachable blades, for those who would like to display the full hilt with only a single blade

3. forcefx

forcefx Active Member

Here are more toy fair pics,if anyone didnt see um yet.
    http://www.action-figure.com/events/main.p...=5840&g2_page=3

4. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

I held the prototype when I visited MR in October. This is indeed going to be a very nice piece.

5. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

March is coming up quickly. Has there been any word on pricing yet?

6. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

Nothing official, but I was told by MR back in October that they were hoping to sell it in 2 options:

1) Single-bladed versions (which can connect via a middle connector piece) for a little more than previous FX sabers

and

2) A "full saber" deal where you get both blades and the middle connector for a little less than it would cost to buy 2 separately.

I'm not sure if this is still the plan or what the precise MSRP would be.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

$199 for the maul two pack

8. BLEE

BLEE New Member

I heard from someone that works for Borders that it would be sold 2 ways:
    Single=$100
    Double pack=$180
    Let's hope that this is true. Oh and he also said that they would be available sometime in March.

9. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Well-Known Member

Sweet, can't wait for this. :)

10. IAMMAUL

IAMMAUL Active Member

I just hope the two pack does have the knobs on the same side. I love Maul's saber but I'm not paying $180-200 for a backwards saber. Just my 2 cents. :unsure

Rudy G.

11. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

A while back when people from MR posted about that they didn't seem like it was an issue they were going to be able to correct. It'd be nice if they did, though.

12. IAMMAUL

IAMMAUL Active Member

So what we can pay a high price, but they can't sell us a product that would come as close as possible to the look of the movie prop?

Heaven forbid they flip the buttons to the other side. If there coming out with a two pack and the single which can not be attached how hard would it be to get the double right? OK I'll get off my soap box now. :$

Rudy G.

13. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I have to think that it would be a relatively easy fix. The absolute worst case scenario would be that you scrap whatever "connection device" MR provides and rig one of your own. Just make sure you can still get the batteries out :p My guess is that this will be a "screw together" piece like the end caps of the current sabers. If that the case, all you need is a thin spacer in one of the sabers so that when it is screwed to a tight fit the buttons line up. How thick the spacer needs to be is going to depend on how much of turn your particular set is off. If it's too far off you might need a thin spacer on each side rather than one thick spacer on a single side (just to make sure both side are screwed in far enough to be a good connection)

Let's see the product in the the flesh before we start assuming the worst. If the buttons being out of allignment turns out to be an issue it's a safe bet someone on this community will figure it out in short order. Let's just not make it an issue 2 months before the thing is even released.

14. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I'll bet you could add a rubber O ring to the end with the spacer to fine adjust how it lines up.

It'll work... ;)

15. IAMMAUL

IAMMAUL Active Member

But that's not the point for me to fix it to look right. :rolleyes

If you went to a fancy place to eat and they charged you an intresting amount then came back with a raw uncooked steak and said fix it yourself would that be ok with you?
    :confused

I guess I'm just if I pay for an item I would like to get an item worth the amount I paid for it.

Rudy G.

16. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

We arn't talking about a steak dinner here. This is a jumbo hot dog. The FX is the low end, mass produced section of the product line. You get what you pay for, and we're in the cheap seats eatin' dogs. Flag down the beer guy for me :D

I assure you that if you buy the Limtied Edition Darth Maul Saber the buttons will be lined up, and if you pay for a steak it will be prepared to your liking.

17. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with RedTwo on this one, FX sabers aren't the LE's and MR has to make some necessary modifications to put out a decent product (case in point - the thick neck on the ROTJ Luke and the EP3 Obi Wan soon to be released) - I know I will still buy it - as what one member on here said about the Maul FX review "7 1/2 Feet of Sith Goodness" - Saber Staff action is gonna be awesome ...

-John

18. Jedi Conductor

Jedi Conductor New Member

Come on guys. Has MR ever made a FX Saber exactly to specs?..............NO.... Why would we concern ourselves with it now? Relax, the Maul is gonna be great for an FX version. At least this paper weight lights up, and is gonna have removeable blades for a change............

Later,
    JC

19. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

I'm really looking forward to this - looks great

Cheers

Jez

20. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

yep, same here, can't wait, i wonder if each unit will have seperate movement /hum noises so it sounds more authentic?

21. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

DD - given its really just 2 sabers fixed together I would have thought both blades/sound mechanisms would be independent.

It'd be cool if someone could find out a way so it could be rigged to work from a transformer so it could be left "on" as a light feature in a prop room - shouldnt be too hard.

I'm not really into a lot of the new trilogy stuff but IMO this is going to be a "must buy" item.

Cheers

Jez

22. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I'm really looking forward to this saber.

Can anyone confirm that this has removable blades, or is it a 'sealed unit' type like the other FX sabers? If the blades are removable, hopefully it will pave the way for future FX saber releases.

23. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

This thread is the first I'm reading of removeable blades. Where is this information caming from? Can someone sight a verifiable source?

24. MikeyX

MikeyX Well-Known Member

I thought it had been confirmed (at the toy fair, and since I believe) that it would not have removeable blades. Every time MR have been asked about it the reply is that as FXs are an item that are often sold as a toy, so there are too many issues with having the blade removeable and making it safe for kids.

25. forcefx

forcefx Active Member

Here is a bigger pic.
    [​IMG]

26. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

In that closeup pic, it looks like all the red buttons ARE allined together.

Now that would be friggin cool.. I hope MR does this..

VFF

27. IAMMAUL

IAMMAUL Active Member

Because it's Maul's, I really didn't care about any other FX out there. Plus it's just my 2 cents

Rudy G.

28. danvader

danvader Well-Known Member

Do you think the length of the complete handle is the same as the one of the prop used in the movie ?
    After seeing pics from the toy fair 2006 it seems to me that it is shorter.

29. danvader

danvader Well-Known Member

30. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

<artie lange voice>
    WAAAAAHHHHH, my lightsaber's buttons are backwards, WAAAAAAAHHHHHH
    </artie lange voice> :cry :cry :cry

31. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

I saw pictures from SirSteve that had the crystal. I also read that it will use the AAA batteries instead of the AA kind. Either way, I am excited to get it soon.

32. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Those are pics with the coupler screwed in. Just like all FX's the bottom portion unscrews to reveal the battery compartment. On the Maul, the screw-off cover looks like the bottom of the battle damaged .45. You can see the crystal inside a small depression. That piece unscrews and the coupler screws into its place to make the full saber.

33. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

exactly, and i want to set something straight, the reason that youve seen it missaligned witht the red buttons is VERY simple.

there is alot of threading to that, and if youve ever looked at anything like this youll understand that depending on where you start * it in, it will end in a different place... Fing DUH. itll prb be something youll have to do a few times to figure out where to start. but it will be fine. and thats my .02