MR AT-AT repair question? *PICS POSTED*

yodaman

Sr Member
Hey guys - quick question here.

I have a friend who received a damaged MR AT-AT (legs broke during shipping). He wants to try and repair them himself and was wanting to know what type of glue/epoxy should be used that won't cause problems with the materials used for the MR version (LE).

I figured you RPF SS pros could give some great feedback that I could forward to him during his "AT-AT crisis."

Thanks in advance for the help.

* (PICS SHOWN: POST #9) *

Last edited:
Re: MR AT-AT repair question?

This is true but it may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the model depending on where the break is. The legs really do hold the model... also you need to be very careful when moving th emodel as if you tip sideways the legas are not really meant to hold "horizontal" stress. The unpacking instructions of the model are very careful about the order you attack to the base and the removal styrofoam from between the leags... When I flipped myine "upright" I had my brother with me and we did it as a team to avoid any undue stress...

You may want to consider pinning (brass rod insertion) the damaged area before regluing to add some strength.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:

if he can, he seriously needs to look at pinning the break to help give the join some strength. some steel or copper rod a good inch either side of the break should help

And I will third the notion of pinning that joint. A good source is plain old wire coat hangers. I built many a Godzilla resin kits and went thru a lot of hangers! Cheap too!

Good info. here - using pins sounds like a good idea to help with supporting the weight. Anybody have any pics of this type of procedure? It would certainly help him out I'm sure. Thanks.

Put a small drop of paint where you would locate the pin. Press the two pieces together. Drill holes in both pieces where the paint is (half an inch should do). Use liquid CA or epoxy to insert one pin in one hole. Use the same glue for the other hole and on the surface. Press together.

Thomas

AT-AT repair question? *PICS NOW POSTED*

Here are a couple pics of the broken legs - he's leaning more towards using glue instead of pins. Anybody got a link to where he could buy the glue? (he wants to be sure to get the right stuff). Thanks guys...

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01820.jpg

Last edited:
Re: AT-AT repair question? *PICS NOW POSTED*

Here are a couple pics of the broken legs - he's leaning more towards using glue instead of pins. Anybody got a link to where he could buy the glue? (he wants to be sure to get the right stuff). Thanks guys...

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01820.jpg

Here's a link to zap a gaps webpage.
http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-glues/zap-gap
It can be found at any hobby store. Just make sure that your friend picks up the thick consistency; the thin stuff will just run everywhere and make a mess.
Also with this stuff remember less is more, you dont want the glue seeping out once the parts are pushed together.

I originally thought a leg had broken in two, but those breaks look clean and you should never know the difference once it's glued back together.

Re: AT-AT repair question? *PICS NOW POSTED*

Yeah, apparently the guy he bought it from shipped the AT-AT with the legs attached to the mirror base. Defintely a recipe for disaster.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back