MR Announces Y-Wing Release!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Beeb89, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't know if this has been covered here yet or not, but I just got this in from MR...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Launch into 2006 in spectacular style with the first ever,
    officially licensed replica of this classic Star Wars spaceship  

$799
    Collectors Society On Sale:
    January 31, 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)
    General Public On Sale Date:
    February 2 , 2006
    Expected to begin shipping
    Late Summer 2006.

Tasked with the daunting challenge of stopping the EmpireÂ’s new, planet-killing weapon from forever ending the hopes of the freedom fighting rebels, a rag-tag fleet of Rebel Alliance starfighters takes off from the fourth moon of Yavin.

While Red Leader and his spirited squadron of X-wing fighters engage the turbo lasers and TIE fighters of the Imperials, Gold Squadron in their older but sturdy Y-wing fighters begin a daring attack run on a small thermal exhaust port: the one identifiable weakness of the dreaded Death StarÂ…

Bring home the excitement of the Battle of Yavin as Master Replicas adds this most famous of starfighters from the Star Wars saga to our acclaimed Studio Scale series of model replicas.

Created from a direct study of Lucasfilm archival materials, the Rebel Y-wing combines hundreds of model kit parts and dimensions from the many models used to portray this classic ship onscreen into a faithful representation that features:

* Machined aluminum and brass components
    * Quality resin construction
    * Injection molded details
    * Individual stand featuring a museum quality
    display base
    * Plaque and certificate of authenticity

Be one of the first to reserve your Rebel Y-Wing Studio Scale and save. Collectors Society members have early ordering privileges AND receive a coupon for $100 off a studio scale replica. Become a member and use the coupon on this Rebel Y-Wing Studio Scale. Check out all the cool perks and join today.

The exhaust port is marked and locked in, so man your fighters.

Your crew at Master Replicas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not QUITE as "wallet friendly" as I'd hoped but I'll be getting on board non the less. :love

-B89. :D

2. kuyadavid

kuyadavid Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is so much interest in the Y-wing that their website is being blitzed? Trying to access it and it seems dead at the moment.

3. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I sure as heck am getting one :D

LOVE the ANH ships...

4. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had no problem accessing the site... but as far as I can see, there is nothing up about the Y-Wing yet.

5. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Belong to the collectors society and you get a $100 coupon you can use towards this. If you going to get it, its a no brainer to join the collectors society. Like getting the society for free and getting 40 bucks off the Y-Wing as well.

6. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Photo of the actual product is up at MR now, Y-Wing looks outstanding but I like the base that was shown at the Pre-Toyfair better than the the one you will receive even if it does have the turbo laser tower. Just not a fan of the mirrored bases.

Jim

7. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i cant find it on their site???

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

It's on the blog.

I don't like the base either. The ship looks okay (not enough pics to fully judge yet), but I'm not a fan of it. Well, not enough to justify buying this.

9. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

Wow, pricey. I should have made a different decision last year.

10. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

$799
    Collectors Society On Sale:
    January 31, 2006
    General Public On Sale Date:
    February 2 , 2006
    Expected to begin shipping
    Late Summer 2006.

Tasked with the daunting challenge of stopping the EmpireÂ’s new, planet-killing weapon from forever ending the hopes of the freedom fighting rebels, a rag-tag fleet of Rebel Alliance starfighters takes off from the fourth moon of Yavin.

While Red Leader and his spirited squadron of X-wing fighters engage the turbo lasers and TIE fighters of the Imperials, Gold Squadron in their older but sturdy Y-wing fighters begin a daring attack run on a small thermal exhaust port: the one identifiable weakness of the dreaded Death StarÂ…

Bring home the excitement of the Battle of Yavin as Master Replicas adds this most famous of starfighters from the Star Wars saga to our acclaimed Studio Scale series of model replicas.

Created from a direct study of Lucasfilm archival materials, the Rebel Y-wing combines hundreds of model kit parts and dimensions from the many models used to portray this classic ship onscreen into a faithful representation that features:

* Machined aluminum and brass components
    * Quality resin construction
    * Injection molded details
    * Individual stand featuring a museum quality
    display base
    * Plaque and certificate of authenticity

Be one of the first to reserve your Rebel Y-Wing Studio Scale and save. Collectors Society members have early ordering privileges AND receive a coupon for $100 off a studio scale replica. Become a member and use the coupon on this Rebel Y-Wing Studio Scale. Check out all the cool perks and join today.

The exhaust port is marked and locked in, so man your fighters.

Your crew at Master Replicas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not see the dimensions of this thing advertised anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

- Poseidon

11. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Why is the base so cheesy looking? For $800 they could of done much better IMO. I'm not that impressed - for that much I would expect some lights in it too.

12. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I like the base, very unique.
    The trench base was cool too, but this one is cool also.
    I wish they had a size spec on it.
    Lynn

13. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Y-wing never did a thing for me.

Do people like these? Like, 800.00 like these?

I don't get it...it looks well constructed but it's a Y-Wing. The base is hard to get past, too. Makes it more 'toyish' than propish.

Oh' well.

14. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I agree, not a good choice if you ask me.

Looks to be a fine model though. At least it is studio scale unlike the Snowspeeder.

Let's hope they have better luck with these than they seem to be having with the Vader lids.

15. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For $800 I want a Y-Wing I can fly around in. B)

k

16. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I want the B&W version.

17. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It would have been hard as a kid being the one to get stuck with the Y-wing.

All the other kids are flyin' the X-wing, the Falcon or a tie-fighter but there's the one kid who had the big'ol disco Y-wing.

You know it happened to some. :p

18. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Yes... :D

Lynn

19. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

When first announced....
    [image]http://img.creamedgeezer.com/images/MR%20Ywing4.jpeg[/image]

Now....
    [image]http://masterreplicas.com/pub/ywinglarge.jpg[/image]

I like them both....

Lynn

21. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Eh... Mixed feelings on the base... Unique, and ool in that respect, but yes sort of toyish and a weird combination...

Regarding the popularity, I like the X better too, but the two sort of go well together -- like coffee and donuts. They're a team and a historic pair. And it has the ever-lasting positive stigma of being an ANH classic ship (see jason's post).

22. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

My 5-year-old son likes the Y-Wing because "It has good weapons" [on XBOX].

23. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I get it. :lol

24. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

799$ ??????????
    Yes Barry, i AM surprised ...

Didn't you say MR would hold the price low because there will be no display case ?
    499$ would have been low.

With the ongoing QC-problems this might be a mistake...

Sorry but i will wait and buy it cheap in the aftermarket like i did with the snowspeeder.

25. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

I hear ya there.

Too rich for my blood at retail. :cry

Maybe I can afford one from the secondary market later down the road.

Bruce

26. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I like the prototype base - it gives the Y-wing a definite sense of forward flight and vertical distance. However, the laser cannon tower simply makes the ship look static and perched, not to mention the scale is so way off between the two it's not even funny. And if you want to get uber-technical, the Y-wings never flew OVER a tower; the towers followed the ships as they flew above and through the trenches... :unsure

I hope it's not too late to change MR's mind... :angel

- Gabe

27. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

Agreed. Now, I'm not a Rebel Scum fan, but the first base is WAY better. I wonder why MR changed the design so drasticlly. Like Gabe said, the scale of ship to tower is rediculous. This first base is more realistic and more to scale.

MR is going through a bit if a rough time right now with the Vader lids. Now with such a major concept change, this item will not do as well as MR thought. I'd be suprised. I mean, with the AT-AT Ver.2, they added Luke's snowpseeder, and that was to scale of the ATAT.

Why such a drastic change Master Replicas????

Sorry, that new base is just bugging the heck out of me. :eek:

VFF

28. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

I remember people complaining when the prototype base was shown that there should be laser cannons on the base, obviously MR listened but took the concept too far. :D

29. barbatus

barbatus Well-Known Member

After reading a few months ago that everyone will be surprised about the affordable price, I indeed am realy surprised to see this now. I believe they won´t even make any money with it, selling it at such an incredible low price :D

Maybe creating the new base alone cost about 300$ :lol So, what about a version without this base for 500$ :p

Now I wonder more than ever how much the Falcon will be :unsure

30. arkangel

arkangel Well-Known Member

I remember a few threads where people complained that the prototype base lacked a turbolaser canon and it looks like MR listened.
    Regardless of recent QC helmet issues, I can really see how they're in a no-win situation on a lot of these boards.

31. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's more accurate to say they are in a no-win situation with these quality control issues. They had better tighten up or this sort of thing will honestly hurt their profits. I just spoke with my own MR dealer and I asked him to open Vader helmets until he found me an undamaged one. It took 6 tries folks. That is absolutely ridiculous. Will every product made by MR's overseas factories suffer the same fate as these latest offerings? I hope they pull it together soon or else the replacement costs will eat them up.

Dave :(

Edit: PS I'd like the base better if it were either : 1. No mirror and the base were deathstar surface detail, or 2. Mirror with a clear cradle like the rest of the MR pieces. The mixture kinda looks distracting from the main prop rep, IMHO.

32. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

Well, the new base design is a real letdown for me (and I have to admit the price as well, perhaps I was a little bit naive) , but I´m not to sure about it being a mirror, perhaps it´s glossy black like the bases for the Sideshow figures. But I think it´s too small. It should have almost the size of the ship.

And an other thing MR go and get a EU warehouse so that EU customers can get the stuff using a coupon and don´t have to pay absurd shipping fees.

Domenik

33. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

That certainly is a gorgeous model. Is the price tag justified though? This is an honest question from someone who doesn't really buy these kinds of models. $800 seems steep to me. What would you figure the profit margin is on a model like this?

34. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the new base is just BAD , it does not lend itself well to the whole look.

the old base had a sense of speed and purpose...like it was going somewhere.

the new one looks like the cleaning lady had a go designing it.

until she had to leave to feed her guide dog.

800bucks......i'll have 2 please :D

35. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

I actually don't mind the new base, though my preference, displayed with the Icons X-Wing & Tie, would be more death star surface.

36. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

i think its the yellow lines on the wall that are giving the one on the old base the illusion of movement :p

37. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

A thing to remember guys on the price...
    The V1 AT-AT was a MSRP of what, $1100-1200 with a case??
    That price was with a case and not too many people bitched about the price and it sold rather well.

If the AT-AT V1 was offered without the case I'm sure it would have been in the MSRP of $799 range just like the Y-wing is now without a case.

So yes, MR did exactly what they said and made it more affordable then it's previous SS model offerings as it could have been easily $1000-1100 with a case.

Go and buy a case on your own to cover that and see what it costs you.

Something to put the price into perspective...

So think about it before complaining about the price.

Lynn

38. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I looked all over the MR website last night and didn't find a thing about the Y-Wing.

Seeing the new photo for the first time, I do have to admit that the base doesn't look all that great.

If it's a matter of cost, why not eliminate the Death Star base all together and replace it with a plain, mirrored base?

39. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

You have to click on the MR blog on the front page as already mentioned, it is not in the SS model section.

Lynn

40. cking

cking Sr Member

Hmmm. If I get one of these, I think I'll get a simple base made for it and put a Death Star trench wall backdrop behind it instead. The nice thing about the ILM miniatures which have been displayed at the various exhibitions is the fact that they are simply displayed on a rod with a plain base - so your eye just goes straight to the model and not to what's underneath it.

I think the problem with this base is the fact that the Y-Wing is just too close to the top of the turret.

Chris

41. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Thats why I'm going to ditch the base altogether. ;)

I know how exactly how mine will be mounted and displayed... :D I'll give you two guess's where it's going.

[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137975435.jpeg[/image]

ALA Cking style... sort of.. ;)

Lynn

42. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

late summer? my god

43. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

44. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Tony, your diorama is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING... :eek

If you don't already consult for MR, they should hire you PRONTO. :D

- Gabe

45. temponaut

Tony, you should write a book. No kidding. Your one-page build diary in Starship Modeler is a goldmine of information and technique. :thumbsup

I agree with you that a Death Star tile base would have been a much better way for MR to go (although I think that the turret base was MR's effort to respond to customer input).

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales of your tiles shoot up with the release of the MR Y-Wing. :love

Very inspiring work, man.

46. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Id be dissapointed to open it up coming with the lacklustre paintjob, and the awful base, i think packing it with a nice simple display case would have made the model look much more quality in appearance, but on the flipside, you go price up cases for a model this size ( i need 3 at the moment) its not cheap i can tell you.

47. rudolpht

Thanks for heads up

48. rudolpht

They already have :)

49. temponaut

:lol :thumbsup

50. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tony, that is the best diorama display I've ever seen of a trench scene. That is first place all the way. :)

Dave