MPC X-wing Build in Progress

Are you talking about Aves? If so, it's great stuff. I highly recommend it. It's a simple 2-part 1:1 mixture, it's water soluble while it's workable, which makes it easier to apply (I think) and easy to clean up. Cures in 24 hours. Won't melt plastic.

-MJ

Hello all

I just joined the other day after trying to locate some reference pictures and came across this forum, and I've got to say I'm really impressed by everyone's skill. My build that I'm doing right now is the first model I've built in over 20 years, so I'm going to be going through a lot of firsts with this. Unfortunately I had already started on assembling my kit before I found this awesome cache of reference material and somethings are are just going to have to stay the way they are glued in place. That's ok, I'm using this kit to get back into the hobby and make mistakes on. So if anyone has any tips or recommendations feel free to clue me in. Here are some pics of my progress so far, thanks for looking.

View attachment 277513
Rebuilding the guns in brass.
View attachment 277514
View attachment 277515
I mounted a brass tube inside of the part that attaches to the wing with squadron white putty.
View attachment 277516View attachment 277517

Could you tell me what tool you use for cutting the brass tubing??

Is it just a small pipe cutter from a hardware store or is there a specific modelers one??

I found that picture in an article about how that prop went to auction and sold for like $221,400. That photo is from the auction company's site, used as their official photo. It's easy to tell it's a MPC kit by the guns. Here is an article, not the same one that I saw but it has the info. 'Star Trek,' 'Star Wars,' 'Alien,' 'Ghostbusters' Props Score Sky-High Prices at Auction

Thanks for the link. Very cool.

Is the problem with the cannons just that the half circles are horizontal when they should be vertical??

Could you tell me what tool you use for cutting the brass tubing??

Is it just a small pipe cutter from a hardware store or is there a specific modelers one??

I'm using a regular hardware store pipe cutter. It's a smaller one though, it's marked 3-28mm O.D. or 1/8 - 1 1/8 O.D.

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/pipecutter.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the link. Very cool.

Is the problem with the cannons just that the half circles are horizontal when they should be vertical??

Yep, that's exactly it.

Looking great! I replaced my barrels with brass on mine too and it really improves the look. They are heavier than the wings are designed to carry however and mine have drooped a bit over the years. I'd consider reinforcing the wing hinges a bit, maybe strengthening the wings themselves slightly (I'd added trenches to the back edges of the wings too, to match the details on the studio models, which added a bit of structure to the wings).

Looking great! I replaced my barrels with brass on mine too and it really improves the look. They are heavier than the wings are designed to carry however and mine have drooped a bit over the years. I'd consider reinforcing the wing hinges a bit, maybe strengthening the wings themselves slightly (I'd added trenches to the back edges of the wings too, to match the details on the studio models, which added a bit of structure to the wings).

So are you saying that your wings have twisted a bit too?

Just remember, if ILM was building MPC kits for background ships, they likely wouldn't have cared much about the guns since they wouldn't really read all that well on film anyway. To ILM, getting the models done so that the shot could get done was the higher priority than whether or not it looked dead nuts accurate to a foreground hero miniature. Plus, having the kit on hand would save time, so figure this might be at best a two day build (one day to build, one day to paint).

BTW, nice build so far. I've got one of these kits with partial assembly done on it sitting stashed away. At the time I was doing it as an "Old School, New School" build alongside a FineMolds 1/48 X-Wing, but not long after I started, I just felt like tabling it for a bit. Still, one day I'll get back to it.

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't posted any new updates in few days, I got sucked into Game of Thrones season 2 and 3, you know how that goes. I'm going to start working on the cockpit tub, I've got a bit of cutting to do so I can rebuild the area behind the seat so there is enough room for the hoses. Then I'm going to build up the sides because they are not high enough and not angled correctly. Finally I'll add some new details for buttons, other controls and add a seat back.

Side note I've ordered the parts for an airbrush set up. I've already received the airbrush, speed connector, cleaning brushes, and cleaning station/stand. Still waiting on the hose, hose adapters and the compressor, but they are ordered and on the way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xco9PmV15dU

Here is a YouTube video of my build. Feel free to comment or question!

Nicely done, I know it says it was done 15 years ago but you wouldn't happen to remember what colors/brand of paint you used?

I know that Floquil paints were used a lot on the props, such as boxcar red, but I've found that Floquil is no more, Testors bought them out. If anyone has a list of paints that match well I would really appreciate it if they could share it with me.

I've hacked away the shelf behind the seat and started to rebuild it. I'm doing this for two reasons: I want to add the hoses and the old shelf sat way to high for the hoses to come through and look ok, and the shelf was only supposed to come up to shoulder height.

photo 3.JPG

And a bottom view of it.

photo 4.JPG

I'm also toying with the idea of adding a hose or two to the engine compartment in the wing for some extra detail. What do you guys think, good or bad?

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back