MOST brittle resin?

AndyJ

Hey guys! I'm working on casting some breakaway miniatures, so I'm looking for a specially brittle resin. I was thinking just raw polyester fiberglassing resin, but I know it shrinks a lot.

Am I safe in assuming that the harder the resin, the more brittle it will also be? So some of the mineral filled ones will be better for this?

Thanks!

My only problem with it is the high cost. It only comes in gallons for $200 and I really only need like a pint. I'd never use it all before the shelf life....unless anyone wants in on a run of small clear brittle cars ;)

I bought some fiberglass resin today so I might as well give it a shot. My other idea is plaster backed with aluminum foil tape.

I was going to suggest the same thing as SWGeek. Maybe you should try calling smooth-on and see if they will sell you a smaller quantity. I've found them very helpful when I explain my needs to them.

I think the fiberglass resin is going to be too hard (physically.) So I have an Ultracal one curing, and after that will try just regular ol' quick cast resin.

Otherwise I'll definitely see if I can buy a small quantity of the Smash plastic.

I also made a timelapse of me making the mold!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back