Monkey Island 2: Guybrush Threepwood

Risu

Master Member
Monkey-Island-2-SE-Guybrush-v5.jpg

I've been planning this costume for a couple years, I actually bought all the materials over a year ago, and now I'm finally working on it. I've got a few pictures of where I'm at right now, and I'll be updating as I make more progress. Completion goal is Halloween.

First is the boots, I'm using Dr. Jackson's Leather Conditioner to darken my Jack Sparrow boots I made. The resulting color and finish is awesome, but it's been a week since the first application and they still feel a little greasy, so I'm a bit concerned. Once I get them darkened, I plan to add trim to the bell. Either the same stuff I got for the coat, or something else I haven't found yet.

Then I've got the 3" wide waist belt and the white linen for the shirt.

Followed by the black linen pants. These still need the legs gathered and the cuffs and waist band sewn on.

And my favorite part, the coat fabrics and notions. The trim fabric is red linen and the main fabric is printed polyester linen-look fabric I totally lucked out on in the clearance section at Jo-Ann's last year. I can't really think of a better fabric for this. I might trade out the light blue button hole trim for something a little darker, not sure yet.

I've also got the build thread for my rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle in the prop section:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/monkey-island-rubber-chicken-171923/

I plan to make a lot more props, just having a hard time finding some of the parts to make them. Anyway, more updates hopefully after the weekend.

I've been finishing up the pants for this costume over the last week and I patterned the shirt months ago. The last two days I made some alterations to the coat pattern and cut out the body. I've got it on the form right now with some more alterations pinned in place. Once I fix a couple things, I'll cut and attach the interfacing to the body pieces and then cut the sleeves.

Unfortunately, since this fabric is polyester, it doesn't hang well at all, but once I get all the appliqued trim on I'm hoping the skirt will fan out more.

Oooooh man you have no idea how excited I am to see somebody doing a Monkey Island costume. I have subscribed. This is gonna be awesome.

If the trim doesn't stiffen the bottom edge enough, you could try ironing a strip of interfacing onto the inside. Or horsehair braid, if you can find it, but interfacing would probably work just as well.

It seems to be working well enough. In addition to the red trim, which is now pinned on, there will be those gold swoopy appliques (which I unfortunately still need to pattern, ugh.) Those will add a lot structure to the skirt.

Besides those, I've got the whole coat cut except the main sleeve panels and the lining. It's all coming together nicely. This has been my first time using fusible hymo because I jsut didn't have time to do it right with pad stitching. The fusible stuff isn't the best, but it is doing it's job.

I won't be able to get a really good pulley wheel until well after DCon, but I'm working on mocking up a rubber chicken with a passable pulley in the middle for the con. Unfortunately, the metal lathe I have at work has been of no use turning wood.

Tonight I patterned the applique pieces.

Once I get them all cut out, I'll fuse some wonder under onto the gold silk dupioni I've got and cut them out of it, then fuse them to the coat. That's probably going to happen tomorrow. Tonight I plan to cut out the sleeves and sew them up, and possibly cut out the lining.

Great project! Really interested in seeing what you manage with the chicken. Making me feel totally nostalgic for that game.

I stained the pulley wheel today, but didn't have enough time to let it soak in and the color turned out really wonky. I'll do a second coat of stain tomorrow and hopefully have better results.

The embroidery on the coat is about half done right now, here's a picture I took earlier. This part ended up being not as difficult as anticipated.

Last night I finished the appliques and stitched the cuff trim on ,which was an awful experience. Just the easy stuff left to go now, though.

I also finished the rubber chicken, although the wood stain was rubbing off, so I had to clear coat it in the only stuff I had around, which turned out to be a 20-30 year old can of lacquer that still hasn't dried 100%. The wheel is only temporary for this con, though, so no worries. I'll post up a picture of the chicken in both threads if I have time tonight. I'll be sewing up until 6 AM when I have to leave for the airport, so there might not be any more pictures until after the con.

Really quick picture. I just finished with the machine, just hand stitching left, buttons and hems. Sorry it's all bunchy and weird, the tailor's form isn't a fan of the cotton lining.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back