Molding and casting 'real' grenades.

FrogmanStudio

Hello all! I seek the communities grand and accumulated knowledge!

First, I did do a search, of multiple wordings, but didn't really find what I was looking for. I'm sure others have done this, and it's quite possible I missed something, but I felt I'd ask none the less.

As it's FAST approaching Halloween, I've been slowly working on a more modern Cobra Trooper costume based on the show and figures. If anyones seen the Sideshow Collectibles figure, that's what I'm using as a base. I'll be posting pictures of everything finished eventually, but my first project for it is props, specifically, grenades!

I've picked up two versions at a local Army-Navy store, and was quite pleased at the price, and quality. However, if anyones actually held one, even hollowed they are abit heavy, and I was planning on having a small bandoleer of about 8-10 for 'dramatic effect', and well, its Cobra. Cobra Commander like big boom! I also wanted a mold for other costumes, and for casts of those interested (look for a thread in the Junkyard at some point)!

I'll upload pictures later, right now waiting for the batteries on my camera to charge, but my situation is this: I want to be able to mold the grenades (one is the classic 'pineapple', and the other is the M67). They have a hole drilled into the bottom, about a half an inch in diameter, as well as their pin reinstalled, and the lever (spoon) attached. I've yet to take the pin out for molding, but my thought was to remove it, seal up all the holes with clay, make a two part mold, cast, and possibly drill a hole to re-insert a fake pin, since I'd be casting in resin.

How does that sound to our more experienced members? I've not started, and am more than willing to advice, and will be posting pictures in a few hours, for now, bed time!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back