Molding a large rubber costume; plaster, resin?

yodasmeagol

I am planning to build a large monster costume. I will sculpt the pieces from clay individually, the torso, the legs, arms, and head. The final product will be a latex suit.

My question is what would be the best way to mold my sculpted pieces? I'm thinking of using traditional 2-part plaster molds. The main issue I foresee is size. The torso especially, which will be somewhere around 1 by 2 by 3 square feet. I might be able to coat the entire sculpt in plaster, leaving the neck, arm, and leg holes open so I can empty it out. I'm also worried about dividing walls for the mold; these pieces might be too large to really be able to coat the entire half in plaster.

I've also thought of using resin/fiberglass molds. That could be easier in a few ways; not as thick of a build up needed, less fighting against gravity, lighter molds. But I'm not sure how casting latex inside would work. I have heard that it is possible to cast latex inside of a resin mold, but it is tedious.

Anyone have any advice on how to mold large pieces for casting latex? Without blowing the budget too high?

Last edited:
I know the latex doesn't cure into a silicone mold , and the best way is by using plaster mold because plaster will absorb the humidity of the latex .

What about using a thin coat of paris plaster, adding some plaster strips or fabric mesh on it and pour again paris plaster on it ... Like this you will have a 1 inch thick mold and stronger than just using plaster into a "box" .

If it was me , I would use 2 mold parts ... one front , one back piece, making a some kind of overlap and glue the 2 pieces with latex .

Joe

I am planning to build a large monster costume. I will sculpt the pieces from clay individually, the torso, the legs, arms, and head. The final product will be a latex suit.

My question is what would be the best way to mold my sculpted pieces? I'm thinking of using traditional 2-part plaster molds. The main issue I foresee is size. The torso especially, which will be somewhere around 1 by 2 by 3 square feet. I might be able to coat the entire sculpt in plaster, leaving the neck, arm, and leg holes open so I can empty it out. I'm also worried about dividing walls for the mold; these pieces might be too large to really be able to coat the entire half in plaster.

I've also thought of using resin/fiberglass molds. That could be easier in a few ways; not as thick of a build up needed, less fighting against gravity, lighter molds. But I'm not sure how casting latex inside would work. I have heard that it is possible to cast latex inside of a resin mold, but it is tedious.

Anyone have any advice on how to make mold large pieces for casting latex? Without blowing the budget too high?

I agree with the plaster of paris idea, it's cheap and you can buy a large quantity for little money, I think amazon sells a 25lb bag of plaster for about $10

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back