Moebius new Orion

Hi fellow 2001 fans.
I've been told this Orion is apparently 1/72 scale. The model I created for Atomic City was estimated between 1/48 and 1/55th scale. But it is "studio scale".
I have not been contacted to advise on the patterning for this kit. But hope i do.... i can see it has accuracy problems.
The (Moebius) Aries1b is a styrene re-creation of my resin 1/48 Aries 1b I created and sold many years ago.
Price estimates for each kit will be over $200. Both kits are not certain to be produced.
Pan-Am still owns copyright and license privileges. It is VERY expensive to license anything through them.

Modeler's Miniatures & Magic

Adam

Hi Adam,

What do you see as wrong with this, besides the panels and some of the details being overly large? When a model gets to the stage of the first photo, the probably aren't going to invest in your expertise, I think.
Pan Am obviously owns their logo, but I don't think they have rights to the actual model, do they? It would be a shame if this doesn't get released. I I built the original Airfix kit, and while the Studio Scale one is great, it would be a little too big for me, so this size would be a happy medium.

TazMan2000

I'm sure that some of the details/paneling is not super accurate...then again, at that scale, it's not screen accurate at all.
So, my point: I'm ready to look away at some of the mistakes that the Moebius kit has...but if it was in the same scale as the screen studio model,
then I would cry foul;)

that ring of vents at the rear of the ship certainly has some big gaps in it. IMO, it would have been better to have that as a single piece like a clip on head band sort of shape rather than the way they have set it up as multiple pieces.
That minimal observation aside, it looks really nice and I may just have to pick one up and turn my 1/350 version into something else
Heaps of room for lighting etc - even seat belts could work

that ring of vents at the rear of the ship certainly has some big gaps in it. IMO, it would have been better to have that as a single piece like a clip on head band sort of shape rather than the way they have set it up as multiple pieces.
Yeah I see that. If this feature continues on into production maybe the gaps can be filled with styrene strips.

cYEfwuj.jpg

I don't recall seeing the "unibrow" ridge just behind the cockpit windows on previous versions. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention?

dzevraw.jpg

Yeah I see that. If this feature continues on into production maybe the gaps can be filled with styrene strips.

I don't recall seeing the "unibrow" ridge just behind the cockpit windows on previous versions. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention?
Correct Mr. Guns Akimbo! That 'unibrow' is NOT supposed to be there. A very common misinterpretation....
The small windows stick out to the side - outside the contour of the body. I hope that makes sense.
AJA_AC_ORION_004.jpg

OrionNose2.JPG

Attachments

• OrionNose.JPG
    OrionNose.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
The canopy area is tricky -- made more so by the lack of available reference imagery. I've attached a couple shots of the FX miniature for the purposes of discussion. To my eye, there appears to be a slight brow above the windshield. Part of this contouring oddity is no doubt due to the fact that the cockpit area of the FX miniature was originally engineered as a separate piece (the purpose most likely being to provide access to the cockpit interior for lighting/detailing purposes). At any rate -- and my friend Adam may disagree -- I believe the aforementioned irregularities related to the Moebius cockpit would, to a certain extent, be mitigated with a little careful sanding and/or puttying.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.14.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.14.01 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.13.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.13.34 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.12.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.12.17 PM.png
    909.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.45.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.45.13 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
As for the paneling and scribing, I do wish Moebius had dialed it back a bit. It's a relatively easy fix to sand down a few raised panels and re-scribe a few panel lines, but this seems to be an issue on so many non-Tamiya spaceship models (then again, if Moebius used the same factory Tamiya uses for their Star Wars kits, the Orion would probably cost twice as much). Also, looking at the FX miniature, some of those panels are pretty beefy...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.54.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.54.49 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.54.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 10.54.14 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 115
90% of the existing info that exists about this miniature is found in the books '2001: The Lost Science' parts 1 and 2.
There you will find everything you need!
There are some additional photos in 'The making of Stanley Kubricks' 2001: A Space odyssey' as well.

Hmmmm. Yeah, the bulge over the cockpit windows on the Moebius kit does look a little odd. And it is a shame the panel lines and panels are so prominent (especially the round panel for the Pan-Am logo). Still. It looks nice enough, overall.

Is it the lower bulge version of the engines? Or the taller more bulgy version? I can't really tell.

90% of the existing info that exists about this miniature is found in the books '2001: The Lost Science' parts 1 and 2.
There you will find everything you need!
There are some additional photos in 'The making of Stanley Kubricks' 2001: A Space odyssey' as well.
Yeah, Adam's books are come highly recommended. Best source for "2001" miniature reference currently available to the general public.

As for the paneling and scribing, I do wish Moebius had dialed it back a bit. It's a relatively easy fix to sand down a few raised panels and re-scribe a few panel lines, but this seems to be an issue on so many non-Tamiya spaceship models (then again, if Moebius used the same factory Tamiya uses for their Star Wars kits, the Orion would probably cost twice as much).
Tamiya makes Star Wars kits? I thought it was Bandai. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back