Moebius new Orion

HA! Sorry for the confusion, Adam. Yes, I meant Bandai -- although I was also thinking of Tamiya in terms of how crisp, sharp, and scale-appropriate the raised detailing and panel lines on their military models tend to be. These Japanese companies really set the standard. But it comes at a price. I mean, the detail on Bandai's Stardestroyer (for example) is extraordinary, but at 1/5000 scale the $150.00 kit (appox.) is pretty small relative to your average Moebius sci-fi kit -- so small, in fact, it's almost impossible to install the ISD's light kit without incurring light leaks. Sorry for the slightly OT digression, but it goes to the issue of quality and scale vs. price. There's room for improvement with almost any mass-produced injection-molded sci-fi model, but all things being equal I think the guys at Moebius do a pretty good job. Hell, the very existence of the company's "2001" models constitutes a minor miracle.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think I'll wait till we see pics of the release version, but I'm definitely tempted by what I've seen so far...

I've posted a few shots on social media, but there may be a couple images here that haven't been seen. Keep in mind these are printed test shots and not the styrene kit parts...

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3410.jpeg
    IMG_3410.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3408.jpeg
    IMG_3408.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3406.jpeg
    IMG_3406.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 186
The inside of the passenger cabin must be accurate. There is no leg room as on modern passenger liners, except for the people in the first row.

TazMan2000
The view through the passenger cabin windows is extremely limited, but Moebius didn't skimp on the interior details. If I can do so seamlessly I'd like to modify the upper hull of my own model to create a removable ceiling. I spent a fair amount of time scratching a passenger cabin for my Captain Cardboard/Adam Johnson Orion, but unfortunately very little of it shows through the windows. A removable ceiling would obviously solve this problem. The cabin lighting might be a little tricky with this approach, but where there's a will...

Attachments

• IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 2.33.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 2.33.43 PM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 159
The view through the passenger cabin windows is extremely limited, but Moebius didn't skimp on the interior details. If I can do so seamlessly I'd like to modify the upper hull of my own model to create a removable ceiling. I spent a fair amount of time scratching a passenger cabin for my Captain Cardboard/Adam Johnson Orion, but unfortunately very little of it shows through the windows. A removable ceiling would obviously solve this problem. The cabin lighting might be a little tricky with this approach, but where there's a will...
Very nicely done (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back