Moebius Iron Man Mk II WIP

johnnyntro

So, I have what seems like 20 Iron Man kits sitting in my closet. Figured I'd take the simpler one out for a spin, that one being the monochromatic MK II armor, and use it as a training piece to gear up for other Iron Mans....Iron Men....whatever. I normally don't do in progress stuff, but hey, maybe it will make me actually complete a kit, and its fun to document along the way as a change of pace. Anyways, here's the WIP shots:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Getting him stripped of the chrome plating, so that I can actually sand and hide seams. Having him chrome plated means any amount of seam hiding and/or sanding will ruin the chrome job anyway, so best to start from scratch.

photo3.jpg

Primed up to tell where the seams even are. That clear plastic makes assembly and seam work near impossible.

I know most people would do this build in stages, but I'm trying to cut down on paint time, as cleaning my airbrush is drudgery, and a lot of the builds I've seen have left the seam down the sides of the torso, so I was thinking build up first, then putty and sand, even if its a little more difficult to reach. More to come!

Look forward to it!! I have one sitting in the box, waiting to be completed!! Will keep a close watch on this!! Good luck!!

Good deal,Big_Weld. Hopefully my mistakes here can correct some down the road. ;) That being said, got the seam lines masked off last night. With 2 little ones running around, time at the bench is less and less these days.

photo4.jpg

Originally thought painting this as a completed kit was the way to go. The seams on the insides of the arm tell me otherwise. There are some decently-hidden seams on this, then some that are just terrible to try to access. Regardless, the seams on the sides of the torso are nigh-impossible to reach once its put together, regardless of full or sub-assembly. I think on the red/gold version, I will do sub-assemblies, however.

For those interested, just plugged the seams. Got a little sloppy on some of it, waiting for the putty to dry now. LHS turned me on to the Tamiya putty, and I've never used it, but my results varied wildly...sometimes it went on smooth as butter, sometimes I pulled half of it off b/c it dried too quick. Didn't mix it with anything, thinking maybe I should next time, as I can already tell there will be some putty/sand/prime/repeat spots. Oh well, live and learn.

Making nice progress. I always wanted to build an iron man model, but I hate the pose and have no interest in hacking it up to reposition it. The very least they could have done was made a somewhat visually striking pose.

Big_Weld, cool deal. I'm still plugging away, just putty,sand,prime,repeat, on and on. I'm hoping the next round is the last.

Chris, I have one set aside just for that! This one is my "training" kit.

ZR, thanks. Its actually kind of a zen kit, and fun to think that I'm closer to done than it appears. I'm not the biggest fan of the pose either, but the Mk VI helps out considerably with that. I'm going to try to build this more as a "Hall of Armor" type feel to sit alongside the Mk III, rather than an "action" kit.

You know, I've found that after you soak the chrome version in oven cleaner that if you scrub the parts with a greenie and a little bleach, you can get rid of that nasty, amber film.

So, I have what seems like 20 Iron Man kits sitting in my closet. Figured I'd take the simpler one out for a spin, that one being the monochromatic MK II armor, and use it as a training piece to gear up for other Iron Mans....Iron Men....whatever. I normally don't do in progress stuff, but hey, maybe it will make me actually complete a kit, and its fun to document along the way as a change of pace. Anyways, here's the WIP shots:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Getting him stripped of the chrome plating, so that I can actually sand and hide seams. Having him chrome plated means any amount of seam hiding and/or sanding will ruin the chrome job anyway, so best to start from scratch.

photo3.jpg

Primed up to tell where the seams even are. That clear plastic makes assembly and seam work near impossible.

I know most people would do this build in stages, but I'm trying to cut down on paint time, as cleaning my airbrush is drudgery, and a lot of the builds I've seen have left the seam down the sides of the torso, so I was thinking build up first, then putty and sand, even if its a little more difficult to reach. More to come!

Still working on this, but real life continues to get in the way, as does the putty/sand/prime/repeat never-ending cycle. Oh, and Mass Effect 3, I blame that too...however, I have suddenly realized that I can't tell if the rivets on the MKII armor are inverted or raised....anyone know? I've seen replicas that have em both ways. :/

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back