Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Ok you all! As promised just a few short hours ago, an UPDATE! I know, y'all sayin' to ya'self, HOW does he go so fast and keep update s flowing like water? Honestly, I don't know either, but it's just the way, as the young 'un's would say, the way I roll. Well, the speed is simply due to the fact that there are several corners that have been cut.

Anywho, Here's what I've been up to everyone.

With this one, as y'all know, I decided to make a new box at the transition just rear of the head/neck section. It seemed that box may have been slightly out of size (and I certainly could be wrong about that) when I tried to make that same size John Player 1/12 part span across it. This piece is identical to what I made for the engine section earlier and it didn't fit where it should across that box, but seemed just fine on the engine section? Like I say, NEITHER could be 100% correct, but I decided the box may be out of proportion, so I made a new one.

Here's what we see on the original Galactica.

View attachment 1575526

Using those same pictures I've been using as reference, I made that new box. It took a couple tries because there is an angle one both sides that has to fit just right or there is a gap. This actually took a couple tries, with one try having to be removed simply because I forgot to add the scribe lines.

View attachment 1575527
View attachment 1575528

Using those same usual pictures, it seemed as though a few things may have fallen off over the years between filming and the taking of these photos. I started doing a little digging around and found a few pictures of a replica that someone built. It's the one I asked earlier if anyone knew about.

This replica seems to show a few of those missing pieces? After speaking with Mr. edge10, WE decided this replica was a fairly good reference.

What I'm showing next will be the results of what I think should be in this area of the studio model and my attempts to recreate this. At best, this has been an exercise in compromise.

Here's what I came up with using a combination of the usual reference AND this replica. I don't know if y'all will agree this is what it should look like but PLEASE, let me know if y'all think I've gone way wrong here?View attachment 1575529
View attachment 1575532
View attachment 1575533
View attachment 1575534
View attachment 1575535
View attachment 1575536
View attachment 1575538

Now, just as an aside note here, I DO NOT see those small noodly parts between those tan rectangles just behind that new box. You'll also notice that there are several things on TOP of that box that hasn't shown up in the usual reference.

Here's the replica I decided to trust AND a couple of the model as it was being built that shows I can't be that far off.

Studio model being built and the only picture I've found that verifies all this WAS on the original:
View attachment 1575541

Here's the replica I found:

View attachment 1575553
View attachment 1575554
View attachment 1575555

Here... is what I've ended up with:

View attachment 1575556
View attachment 1575557
View attachment 1575558
View attachment 1575559
View attachment 1575560

Well... that's about where I've gotten to.

Opinions? Y'all think all that was suppose to be there?
I have no where near enough knowledge of the original studiomodel. But your references look solid.

Has this gone past the line where one might say, "it's accurized enough"?... and solidly into the realm of "this is accurate, down to the last bolt!"

Insane work man, RESPEKT!

I have no where near enough knowledge of the original studiomodel. But your references look solid.

Has this gone past the line where one might say, "it's accurized enough"?... and solidly into the realm of "this is accurate, down to the last bolt!"

Insane work man, RESPEKT!

Thank you sir!

Well Mr. Larsen, I would imagine my reference is exactly what everyone else has because it's ALL searched right off these interwebs, just like neckad pitchers. That "enough" statement is the one I was talking about earlier in the thread!!! Do I jump in deeper or just continue the same skimming of the surface that I've been doing? I'm running low on parts in the teeny weeny parts kits I destroyed.

I mean, so far, she's basically "box stock" and I should be able to cover the gaps and such with lots of filler and start taking pictures way farther away. All I did so far was add a couple pieces of stretched sprue here and there and some of that ain't even there no more. I scrapped it off before I showed y'all because I can't take criticism and the crying. Less zoom might be in the cards before long.

;)

Thank you sir!

Well Mr. Larsen, I would imagine my reference is exactly what everyone else has because it's ALL searched right off these interwebs, just like neckad pitchers. That "enough" statement is the one I was talking about earlier in the thread!!! Do I jump in deeper or just continue the same skimming of the surface that I've been doing? I'm running low on parts in the teeny weeny parts kits I destroyed.

I mean, so far, she's basically "box stock" and I should be able to cover the gaps and such with lots of filler and start taking pictures way farther away. All I did so far was add a couple pieces of stretched sprue here and there and some of that ain't even there no more. I scrapped it off before I showed y'all because I can't take criticism and the crying. Less zoom might be in the cards before long.

;)
How could anyone be criticizing this impressive work. I mean this thing is tiny, and it looks huge in the pictures... That just shows your skill.

I for one hope you will continue to show off all those glorious details. It's certainly a labor of love.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Thought I would share some pics of my old Moebius Battlestar build:

SolariaBow.JPG
SolariaPort_3_4.JPG
SolariaBelly.JPG

Far from perfect, but, she looks pretty nice on the shelf. :D

She has aftermarket nose, bridge and forward dome. I scanned, cleaned-up and darkened the kits decals. Resized some as well.

I still have two in the box, for when I get the nerve to go again. ;)

That is not a Monogram! That is a Moebius. A skilled builder can make the Monogram look OK, but the basic shape is wrong.

Yes sir, it certainly IS a Moebius! All I had to do was actually READ. That might not have made my comment any better because I can't read, but it might have made my comment more correct.

Whatever it is, 'cause now I can't be sure, you sure did do a very good job on it.

Looking at your pictures, It makes me wonder if doing all this to mine will be worth making any difference. That's a stand out piece already.

Mr. Eagle-1,
Words cannot express my amazement with what you are accomplishing here good Sir.
Working at this small level of detail and creating such incredible accuracy is so impressive!!! I Continue to watch in amazement!!

I agree the Custom Replicas reference will get you what you need. They did a fantastic job creating all the original details of the model as it was filmed. They really nailed it.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

-Sean

Mr. Eagle-1,
Words cannot express my amazement with what you are accomplishing here good Sir.
Working at this small level of detail and creating such incredible accuracy is so impressive!!! I Continue to watch in amazement!!

I agree the Custom Replicas reference will get you what you need. They did a fantastic job creating all the original details of the model as it was filmed. They really nailed it.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

-Sean

Thank you Mr. t2sides!

Yes sir, it seems those pictures compare pretty good to the original and I've been using the original studio pictures for the majority and jumping over to the replica to see what might have gotten knocked off over the years. Seeing what's missing on the original, shown on the replica, I try to find something that just shows a glimpse from the old days to prove that the replica is back to what it suppose to be and scratch what you've seen for what I'm doing.

I can't do much else, but I hope it's close to what's suppose to be there?

I appreciate the interest here and you are certainly welcome here in the thread!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back