Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Quite clearly, their ability to roll with a joke or criticism.

All lightly basted in honey and spices, gently smoked to peels-off-the-fork perfection

Anthony Hopkins Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

I am loving the detail pics of the build, and yes, the primer makes them look even more awesome! You have been a serious inspiration to me to get my build (different subject, but from the same late-70's timeframe) back into gear, as I also have to get many of the original donor parts reduced down to much smaller sizes... or adequately fake the same look with other parts - so, *I* greatly appreciate seeing you do just! (y)
(y)(y)(y)

Thank you Mr. Brown! I believe the words "inspiration" coming from you can very easily be turned right back around as "inspiring" covers your efforts handily sir.

***Please read in John Cleese, Distressed letter to the BBC Voice***

Dear Mr Mudbug Consumer,

We are still actively enjoying this thread!

Why? I Dunno. Perhaps it has to do with enjoying watching someone actively chronicling their efforts and appreciating their hard work.

I am not working on a Star Destroyer or a Battlestar, but *am* working on other items which are not relevant to this thread, and I have no desire to steal your well-earned thunder.

Sincerely,

Brigadier Alistair Gordon, Lethevridge Stewart, Mrs.

PS- there is absolutely no cannibalism in the navy! Okay, just a little

That's what I like to hear, "actively" and "enjoying" are what we here at the BBC strive to provide. "Cannibalism" aside, "Can we have your liver?" John Cleese mode - deactivated.

Just for the sake of argument: What would you say is the most tasty part of a human? Asking for a friend. ;)

Ok boys... We're being set up here. I got this one...

The tongue. Even your friend.

Quite clearly, their ability to roll with a joke or criticism.

All lightly basted in honey and spices, gently smoked to peels-off-the-fork perfection

I've just showed y'all I eat bugs. Just imagine what my ass can do with honey and spices, much less fork peelin's.

Remember the undersized section I discovered last post?

DSCN0458.jpg
DSCN0459.jpg

3 times already. THREE! It's a BOX!!! You would THINK, ok, lickety split, done. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezin's, right??? I mean, Y'all SAW me make a JPS frame and parts from a Railway gun already, so, WHAT??? All I'm asking is for just a SMIDGEON of cooperation from this thing. THIS BOX, for the sake of ALL that is HOLY.

Now, as an aside note, I think I got it. Looks alright, maybe. I'll take some snapperoonies of it in a little and show y'all...

From 5 foot. It'll be fine.

Really.

News at 11.

I feel the same way about cones, man. And simple parts, like Bandai 48th scale panther parts - small, flat, easy to duplicate...ya know, 9x.... :cool:

For me, Mr. Brown, it's a matter of a non-functioning brain. Oh, it helps me walk, see, talk and obviously type, but it completely fails when it has to think. It's a problem and I am working on it, but it has been that way for awhile, so I don't know if it's fixable? It may be too far gone?

AND, Mr. edge10... I need your wonderful research skills again, please? I found these SOMEWHERE and they seem really good as far as a replica-to-match-the-studio goes. Where would I have got this?

IMAG3267_1.jpg

For me, Mr. Brown, it's a matter of a non-functioning brain. Oh, it helps me walk, see, talk and obviously type, but it completely fails when it has to think. It's a problem and I am working on it, but it has been that way for awhile, so I don't know if it's fixable? It may be too far gone?

AND, Mr. edge10... I need your wonderful research skills again, please? I found these SOMEWHERE and they seem really good as far as a replica-to-match-the-studio goes. Where would I have got this?

View attachment 1564284
Sorry, I don't recognize that person. Never seen that photo before.

Hmm. Thank you Mr. edge. Maybe somebody will recognize where they're from? I have them in a folder named "Facebook Galactica" and don't have a clue where I got them from there.

They are of, of course, a replica. I didn't know how close it was to the real deal, so I wasn't using them at first, but now, after only using the original filming model as reference, comparing that to these, this replica seems to be very close? A Jim Key replica possibly?

IMG_20190408_144334664_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190408_144402102_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190408_144436602_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190408_144449724_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190408_144535335_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190408_144543141_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190408_144543141_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190822_133130965_2.jpg
IMG_20200313_170947322.jpg

There several more and if you want them, just say the word?

Just re-discovered this one, from ten years ago!:

I look at the skill represented in these pictures of the Galactica. The hours of dedication. Amazing creation & art. I have been scratch building model planes and ship many years. This is not just building from a set of plans or drawings.

:rolleyes:

Thank you sir (or ma'am). I'm humbled.

No sir, no plans, unless you count the one I can see coming where something goes horribly wrong! It's not a deliberate plan, but a back of my mind one.

Scratch building planes and ships sounds very interesting and feel free to show some off right here if you would like!

This lot won't mind and it'll be an update to this thread. I can't update it regularly it seems, so somebody oughta!

;)

I have to say, outstanding work!
This brings back memories. I created the master of the 17.5" TOS Galactica for Timeslip back in the day. The Monogram model was the only example, if you can even call it that. I see you have the old high-res images of the original, they are the best to use. Proper proportions was the biggest challenge.
I know that Moebius used my master to scan for a basis of their model. They ruined it with the heavy gridlines and lots of detail distortion or elimination due to the molding process. You are definitely adding the accuracy it needs!!
Well done sir-'So Say We All!'

This brings back memories. I created the master of the 17.5" TOS Galactica for Timeslip back in the day. The Monogram model was the only example, if you can even call it that. I see you have the old high-res images of the original, they are the best to use. Proper proportions was the biggest challenge.
I know that Moebius used my master to scan for a basis of their model. They ruined it with the heavy gridlines and lots of detail distortion or elimination due to the molding process. You are definitely adding the accuracy it needs!!
Hey Scott,

Thanks for making it possible to have a decent Battlestar, warts and all.

Thank you Mr. srspicer! I can hope it was a little easier to create than it is to RE create. If you're behind this kit, ya' done just fine. Just fine for sure! It also makes you're encouragement go a long way, you know what I'm headed for. I wouldn't, personally, have done all this to a Monogram, that's for sure. I've seen some folks make it a better looking model, but that has to be WAY harder.

I've been slacking on these folks for a couple weeks, but I'm hoping an update is toot sweet. As far as the reference goes, what you see here is what we've been sharing (except for some I sent to Mr. edge of a replica). I get stuck ever now and then figuring out what's suppose to be there, that I'm not 100% sure even you had access to.

I appreciate your interest in this, Thank you.

Ok you all! As promised just a few short hours ago, an UPDATE! I know, y'all sayin' to ya'self, HOW does he go so fast and keep update s flowing like water? Honestly, I don't know either, but it's just the way, as the young 'un's would say, the way I roll. Well, the speed is simply due to the fact that there are several corners that have been cut.

Anywho, Here's what I've been up to everyone.

With this one, as y'all know, I decided to make a new box at the transition just rear of the head/neck section. It seemed that box may have been slightly out of size (and I certainly could be wrong about that) when I tried to make that same size John Player 1/12 part span across it. This piece is identical to what I made for the engine section earlier and it didn't fit where it should across that box, but seemed just fine on the engine section? Like I say, NEITHER could be 100% correct, but I decided the box may be out of proportion, so I made a new one.

Here's what we see on the original Galactica.

68.jpg

Using those same pictures I've been using as reference, I made that new box. It took a couple tries because there is an angle one both sides that has to fit just right or there is a gap. This actually took a couple tries, with one try having to be removed simply because I forgot to add the scribe lines.

hhh.jpg

279.jpg

Using those same usual pictures, it seemed as though a few things may have fallen off over the years between filming and the taking of these photos. I started doing a little digging around and found a few pictures of a replica that someone built. It's the one I asked earlier if anyone knew about.

This replica seems to show a few of those missing pieces? After speaking with Mr. edge10, WE decided this replica was a fairly good reference.

What I'm showing next will be the results of what I think should be in this area of the studio model and my attempts to recreate this. At best, this has been an exercise in compromise.

Here's what I came up with using a combination of the usual reference AND this replica. I don't know if y'all will agree this is what it should look like but PLEASE, let me know if y'all think I've gone way wrong here?
DSCN0473.jpg

DSCN0474.jpg

DSCN0475.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

Now, just as an aside note here, I DO NOT see those small noodly parts between those tan rectangles just behind that new box. You'll also notice that there are several things on TOP of that box that hasn't shown up in the usual reference.

Here's the replica I decided to trust AND a couple of the model as it was being built that shows I can't be that far off.

Studio model being built and the only picture I've found that verifies all this WAS on the original:
BSG241a.jpg

Here's the replica I found:

IMG_20200313_172448536_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200313_172455953.jpg

IMG_20200313_172600892.jpg

Here... is what I've ended up with:

DSCN0481.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0485.jpg

Well... that's about where I've gotten to.

Opinions? Y'all think all that was suppose to be there?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back