Modifying + re-fitting the new Moebius TOS Galactica - - - yes, I dare!

... A thread on another forum has strangely gone awry regarding the new Moebius Galactica.

oh, I missed that thread. Can s.o. send me a PM with a link?

... Is the black paint(?) you added before priming for pre-shading?

No, it is dark gray primer. I usually prime in dark gray or black to give the surface color more depth. ... or it's just my imagination..

Beautiful work, Marko, as always! I've still got the parts I bought from you, as we as those from ARVEY Model Products. Is that the large bridge assembly, I presume?

Thanks! Yes, it is the large bridge from my battlestar accurization kit, which was distributed by Arvey Model Products.

I have parts from this set as well as new 3D-printed parts. These are even better in accuracy and detail - I hope they arrive soon!

I guess this is a good place for the following info:

This add-on decal sheet for the upcoming MOEBIUS MODELS classic Battlestar Galactica kit will be available from mid January 2014 through me: The kit decals for the ship names are in a wrong font (thanks to Frank Windspur I've seen a copy of the kit decal sheet already), this set here is in the correct font and spacing. It contains 37 Battlestar names, including all canon ones. In addition to that you'll get 4 sets of "Engine-Glow" decals, so you can build a nice fleet of Battlestars. It is always cool to have an armada! The nameplate decals will also fit the old Revell / Monogram kit, or the Timeslip Creations resin kit. Custom name decals can be ordered for an extra fee - contact me for details.

By the way, I have the permission from Moebius Models to produce and sell this add-on set - I thought I'ld mention this before someone will come up with it.

MoebiusGALACTICADecalsMS_zps655db7d7.jpg

Hey Marko. Wrong thread, this is for the new Battlestar Mobius build of yours [but this is the thread that interests me the most, hence I'll post here].
Regarding scale-windows; what about strips of clear acetone-with little rectangles/triangles whatever of masking-tape applied? Alternatively; over-size holes drilled, then strips of good quality Tamiya masking tape laid and burnished in place [they won't curl]; then ultra-thin superglue poured from behind? I've tried resin, but unless you get the mix JUST right; it's too soft and rubbery to sand. That way, you could drill oversize holes, fill and sand a fraction with the same glue from outside [easy on, say, an Enterprise-might be a bit messier here, if you can't sand it flush]; then mask the smaller windows you want?
Just a couple of thoughts.
You get glue-stains anyway, gluing say; foot-rails to 1/350 historical ships..you can't really do anything about it, except mask it with thinned pva, or whatever. But at that layer of minute detail-the detail that really brings it alive; it's worth that small cost, in my opinion. Especially if there's lighting involved:)

Fantastic builds, by the way. Stay on target.

Z

Finally!
The 3D-printed parts arrived today!

Can't believe how TINY these are in that small scale...
Gladly, I ordered more than 1 or 2 of each, so if one gets lost or breaks I have spare parts ;-)

Here's a 1 EUR coin for size comparison:

moebius-tos-gal20.jpg

Those look amazing!

Would you cast those or sell the printed one. I obviously have no idea of the price of 3d printing. :-/

Agreed..they look amazing! Much simpler and less labour-intensive, than any method I was thinking. I was having a conversation about 3d-printing with a friend the other night, but have yet to actually see any with my own eyes. Will you be including 3d printed parts in your accurization mod Marko?
C'mon now, you know you want to...p Maybe; that's the excuse you need, to purchase your own 3d-printer? You might even be able to subsidize the cost as a business expense, perhaps? I don't know the rules about such things in your country..

Z

I tell you what, once you get your hands on some quality 3D printed parts or full models - gaming miniature size - you'll never be able to look at a hand-mastered part quite the same. I've been purchasing 3D printed parts from Shapeways.com and with only a few exceptions, have really enjoyed the products. The key I've found is to get things printed as Marko has done above - in Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD). The only thing which, so far in my experiences, has come close to the perfection of those parts is to get it as Polished Strong and Flexible plastic. It's amazing just how nice those turn out and the cost is a bit less than what it would likely cost you to purchase resin cast kits and parts.

Finally!
The 3D-printed parts arrived today!

Can't believe how TINY these are in that small scale...
Gladly, I ordered more than 1 or 2 of each, so if one gets lost or breaks I have spare parts ;-)

Here's a 1 EUR coin for size comparison:

View attachment 271099
I hate to say, but those look even better than your hand-crafted parts from several years back! That's what I've come to love about 3D printed parts and models, tho.

Where did you get them printed?

... and here are some photos of the 3D-printed parts on the model with primer:

moebius-tos-gal21.jpg
moebius-tos-gal22.jpg

still, you should keep in mind that these are EXTREMELY tiny and fragile - the photos zoom in that actual parts are smaller than on the pictures.

Here are the original parts next to their 21% sized counterpart:

moebius-tos-gal23.jpg
moebius-tos-gal24.jpg

Those look great in place.

I think with the Morser parts, you may have become Griffs personal hero!

Yeah, Marko is definite my hero for that part, as well as the rest!

... and here are some photos of the 3D-printed parts on the model with primer:

View attachment 271529
View attachment 271530

still, you should keep in mind that these are EXTREMELY tiny and fragile - the photos zoom in that actual parts are smaller than on the pictures.

Here are the original parts next to their 21% sized counterpart:

View attachment 271531
View attachment 271532
Those are fan-frakkin'-tastic, Marko! Beautiful work.

Three questions:
1) where did you get the parts printed?

2) are you planning to release these as an accurizing kit?

3) where did you get the parts printed?

Bonus question: where did you get the parts printed?

:)

1) where did you get the parts printed?
Two questions:
Why print the parts when you can just, y'know, make them for practically nothing?
Won't primer & paint kill some of the detail anyway at this scale?

IMHO, this scale is fun, but anything less than three feet in length is too small for me to obsess over this level of attention on the Galactica. But wow, Marko, you are SERIOUSLY a plastic surgeon! Love your work bro!!!:thumbsup

Two questions:
Why print the parts when you can just, y'know, make them for practically nothing?
Seriously? So, you can work in scales that small? Draw perfect circles, drill perfect holes, draw the radial lines out from the center of the parts, scribe extra small lines in plastic?

Having parts drawn and then 3D printed is a nice, easy way to get some of that fine detail. It's relatively cheap - and getting cheaper all the time. It's also more efficient than having someone making one single part by hand, then trying to make perfect gang-molds, then making the perfect casting as many times as you can until the molds run out, then you've got to do the molding process all over again.
Won't primer & paint kill some of the detail anyway at this scale?
Sure - if you drown the parts in primer and paint! But that's true if you go heavy with primer and paint on ANY part, no matter the size/scale. You don't need to pour primer or paint on with a bucket when an airbrush or rattlecan can get you the results you want. You can even get the paint on pretty evenly with a hair-brush if you're careful, thin the paints and go with two or more coats.
IMHO, this scale is fun, but anything less than three feet in length is too small for me to obsess over this level of attention on the Galactica.
Huh... Well, to each their own. We're all modelers here, to some degree or another, we all obsess over some aspect of the models that we like to build. I like this scale and like as much detail as is obviously possible to achieve at this size/scale. You've obsessed over things that I have no interest in, yet I don't go on about how it doesn't interest me. Is that such a bad thing to be taken to task over? I don't think so....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back