Models as Props

Re: Models as Props - Favorite Examples

I spent 30 plus years wanting a Seaview model for the shelf behind my desk like Admiral Nelson had. Now I've finally got one! Actually two!
Seaview-Model-in-Observation-Lounge.jpg

There was that recent episode of the Walking Dead in the kids room where they had some model airplanes and jets hanging around the room

And also, walker kill by model jet

death-by-model-airplane.gif

walkingdeads5e9tyreeseghosts.jpg

Good thing he picked up a diecast model!

The cool thing about the "model as prop" is that they usually appear in films when something has to be explained by a scientist or as office decoration of someone who is involved with a big important hitech project that is about to happen.

Important Nerds as movie characters. Kinda says a lot about how the world views scale modeling..

I'm not sure that this quite counts, but if I recall correctly the top of the artery repair medical device from STIV is an almost fully intact top part of a Klingon ship model, so distinctly so that it goes a bit beyond kit bashing, especially for such a closely featured hero prop. Probably from a D7 by the looks of it?

screencap1.png

Models of the Phoenix (presumably kits made for First Contact) also pop up here and there, in ENT in both Admiral Forrest's office and Mayweather's quaters, and even the questionably-canon JJ Abrams alternate reality (in Admiral Marcus's office)

Phoenix_model.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and let's not forget the spray-painted Hallmark ships used by Tom and B'Elanna in VOY above Miral's crib (which, amusingly, also includes a D7).

Baby_crib_mobile.jpg

If I am remembering correctly the TNG model of the Enterprise D seen on-set is built from an early test before the raised aztec lines were cut into the mold.

Here's a weird tiny one from TNG-

16453169397_14a363b8b4_o.jpg

Vulcan Shuttle! They even used the AMT stand that came with the kit.
1.jpg

Attachments

• Surak01.jpg
    Surak01.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

I think this is a photo of the mantis miniature being used here.... but the plane counts, right?

Attachments

• photo-la-chose-surgit-des-tenebres-the-deadly-mantis-1957-2.jpg
    photo-la-chose-surgit-des-tenebres-the-deadly-mantis-1957-2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 86

Totally!

In honor of Adam Savage's awesome "Model as Prop" replica reveal-

"The Overlook Hotel Maze" model
maze_model.jpg

And Adam's Replica-

IMG_9870.jpg

and an in depth discussion of it's construction-

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah, I saw that yesterday. That's an insane amount of work, but now it becomes part of the travelling exhibition. Immortality!

I've built models as props several times for movies/tv shows. Usually its stuff for the set, but at times it has been a model featured in a scene. For set decoration you have to build things well enough that other people can move it around and not have it fall apart (sometimes a little difficult for fragile designs). There is usually an 'on set dresser' in charge of moving things on the set when shooting is going on; a good dresser will be mindful of the delicacy of things like models, glass items, etc.

If its something that an actor is going to handle in a scene, then you REALLY have to make it sturdy and usually make more than one. I had to make models for a movie once that the actor was going to handle; she was to crush one model with the other one. So one model had to be sturdy and the other had to be fragile enough to break away. It was a little stressful being on the set that day hoping that everything would work as needed.

Mark

In Babylon 5 there was a copper Babylon 5 model in the commander's office
bab5 2x9.JPG

Another, properly painted in gift shop
bab5 2x14 1.JPG
They both are really big, bigger than Revell kit, so I don't know if they count.

I think that besides a Starfury in Sinclair's colors sitting in gift shop, those are the only models shown in the entire series
bab5 2x14.JPG

Star Trek on my mind....

"You broke your little ships..."

Attachments

• E-E Ready Room Model from First Contact.jpg
    E-E Ready Room Model from First Contact.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 108
Just stumbled across this. In the Star Wars Holiday Special Itchy and Lumpy are carving X-Wing models out of "wood".

20.jpg
Lumpy_cookies.jpg
tumblr_lmxyu5RxLl1qzexlo.jpg
itchy_x-wing.jpg

Attachments

• star-wars-holiday-special.jpg
    star-wars-holiday-special.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure someone else here is much more knowleegable about 70's X wing model kits and toys than I.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back