Modelling ornithopter from Dune 2021 - build log

Day 10​

It wasn't very productive day, but still. As a joke goes:
- How do you eat an elephant?
- ... wat? ... why would you eat an elephant, you freak?!
day-10-result.png

Day 13​

(well, technically it is day 14, but I was busy last night, so modelled morning of day 14 as day 13. Anyway, there will be one more session tonight for 14)
Was working on this back top vent parts. They are pretty obscured in all the shots and not that seen in the movie itself, so mostly it's based on physical model BGISupplies built.
These are the ref. angles:
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 13.32.14.png

And my version:

day13-result-2.jpg

Attachments

• day13-result.jpg
    day13-result.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Day 14​

I am behind the scheduler. This will count as continuation of yesterday evening. Started working on tail. It has many features. Had to refactor whole tail boom several times. Anyway, it's not ready yet. But posting WIP here since it's end of day 14 (technically again, morning of 15). Tonight will finish with tail and start something new.
Reference material
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 12.21.56.png

Model itself
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 12.20.43.png

Day 15​

Only had time to finish off tail with all the details. I still think my whole tail boom should be narrower at the bottom, but it's too late for that. Including a shot from the movie of the back.
day14-results-1.png

day14-result2.jpg

day14-result-3.jpg

shot from the movie:
vlcsnap-2021-11-20-17h08m09s794.png

not perfect match, but who cares, I find it fun!

upd:
current status:

Last edited:
Great work, thanks for sharing your steps, what are you modelling in ? The harkonan heavy ornithopter is the one I like most with it’s more curved appearance , but they are all epic

Great work, thanks for sharing your steps, what are you modelling in ? The harkonan heavy ornithopter is the one I like most with it’s more curved appearance , but they are all epic
yeah, I've collected shots with harkonan one as well:
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 21.38.16.png

Couple of fun facts: 1) it has 6 wings instead of 8, which I am making 2) Almost all shots are night ones, It would be much harder to pull amount of details required to model well for it 3) You can prob. see that nose part, legs, back ramp and interior are all identical to atreides one. BGISupplis have build 3 physical set models: 2 for external shots, 1 for interior. Both of the external were 8 winged Atreides machine. This explains why front of harkonan, ramp and inside are the same.
In one of the interviews animators were saying how they modified wings effect for harkonan to show them working "harder" because 6 wings needs to to carry same or even more weight.

I am modelling in Fusion 360 atm.

Thanks , I think they are all great designs, and the way they are portrayed with plausible control surfaces really adds to the realism . Your work is clean, looking forward to your results

Great work , Soswow.
Can I ask how many hours per day modelling work has it taken so far?. Since I imagine there are a lot of hours of work gone into this, do you limit the time spent on it each day?.

Day 17​

It was all about cutting out falcon doors. This took me much more than expected. After hollowing out many surfaces weren't perfect. Since I wanted mating surface between door and the body to be "flat" I had to refactor many surfaces first, which took a lot of time.

day17-result.jpg

And here it is in action.

What I still don't know is what I Am going to do about printing it. There won't be much space for a hinge. Maybe there will have to be version with open door/doors and closed ones ‍‍:shrug: Will think about it another time. ... I just realised the real doors doesn't move like that in a simple hinge motion. Will see what I can come up next time.

Great work , Soswow.
Can I ask how many hours per day modelling work has it taken so far?. Since I imagine there are a lot of hours of work gone into this, do you limit the time spent on it each day?.
Pyramidrep thank you. I think I am doing at least 1.5h a day, but lately more like 3h a day. I have kids, wife and a day job + ton other hobbies, so that naturally limits me. But this "log" forcing function keeps me focus on one thing. at least =)

Last edited:
soswow,
Some real nice work on the articulation of the gull wing doors. I may be looking at this wrong, but appears some slant of the window enables a good view downward for ground observation. Nice feature for quickly checking height above runway when landing.

Take your time. Don’t burn yourself out with the forced march approach. Really doing a terrific job on this refreshingly unique insect design.

soswow,
Some real nice work on the articulation of the gull wing doors. I may be looking at this wrong, but appears some slant of the window enables a good view downward for ground observation. Nice feature for quickly checking height above runway when landing.
Yes, it is clearly inspired by helicopter and how it usually has good ground visibility. BUT! IF you watch the movie and some behind the scene, you will find that pilot (when it's not Leto Atreides himself) wears some type of VR headset =) So, those windows are useless I would thing (though, maybe those are AR and watch through)
Take your time. Don’t burn yourself out with the forced march approach. Really doing a terrific job on this refreshingly unique insect design.
Thank you for care. I like pressure and deadline as a forcing function to increase chances of actually completing it. + I think it's educational to show some people who see only final result and think "I Can't do THAT", because it might look like one big jump. ... Don't know. Might help someone to get braver with big projects. IT's all about small steps.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back