Model Hogwarts

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone!
icbt, I would consider making an arylic sub-structure that would facilitate lighting. That way you could cut down on lighting costs by a single, brighter bulb and 'open' the windows you want lighted. You could attach you finished walls to the clear walls.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll be watching for sure!

Regards,

Scott

Hey Scott,

That's an interesting concept. I would worry however, that adding that weight might make it a bit heavy and I want to try to keep it as light as possible. I don't mind the lighting issue too much - I've found a reasonably priced fiber optic source and with a couple thousand feet of foc with a few strategically placed light sources (LEDs) it should not be too big a thing to light individual windows/areas and such. I think one of the hardest things might be lighting the torches that are here, there and everywhere on this model PLUS making those in the first place to a scale that's proper with the size I have to make them....if I even can. Talk about small!! Even the railing around the Great Hall building - those small balusters that are the basis of the railing - will end up being like maybe 1/4" at the most - and there are probably about 170 something or more of those - maybe even closer to 200. So that's going to be fun to reproduce that many of those. And those under-supports under the Great Hall - there are over 100 of those or close enough. So bits and pieces are going to be the key to detail here. And lighting will be figured in all the way in this but I think an acrylic base to anything will just add too much weight. Not that I think it's not a good idea - I think I get what you mean and actually thought about an understructure first.

I'm actually not all that sure what to use to build it with anyway. Thought at first that the densest Balsa Foam would work - that's the number III verison - but it's pretty danged expensive and nobody has that - I would have to order direct from the manufacturer. And their BASE price is high because they expect you to buy a LOT of product in order to get it directly from them. Don't know why that stuff is so expensive - I mean it's urethane foam is all. And the less dense versions while still expensive, are a bit too full of pin holes and such - which could add to the texturing - but I'd hate to start that way and compromise because that's all I had to do it with.

I also considered Balsa Wood or Basswood but I fear the grain of wood in those items. I thought also of sculpting all the stuff and running silicone molds and resin castings which would be controllable as to thickness thus controlling weight. OR some heavy cardstock coated with glue to resist any moisture and then faced with a thin resin casting of the detail. Just don't know. NOT quite there yet but still working it out. There is another product but I cannot remember the name that is like Balsa Foam but "supposedly" more dense and less pin-holed. So I need to see about a sample of that too because like Balsa Foam it's carvable to a degree and I like the idea of carving the detail as you can with Balsa Foam. Tough decisions when so much is limited and I want to try to keep the weight sensible for moving and whatever.

Anyway thanks for the great idea. I'll have to consider that into the scope of this whole project and see if perhaps that does have merit with what I hope to be able to do. Onward I plunder - can't wait to start building this but must move sensibly and logically if possible

--------------------------------
icanbuildthat

Hey icbt,

Before you start looking for wood or foam sub-structures, get some scrap .062" clear styrene/acrylic. Cut a same size piece in balsa and other materials you are considering. Compare the weight. I know the balsa will be lighter, but not as strong as the plastic. Also, how will you attache the wall castings to the wood? Not many glues will offer the kind of bond you will get from plastic to urethane. If your thinking of sealing the wood, thats just another step, not necessary with acrylic. The weight of an acrylic sub-structuer is negligible compared to wood, especially if you go to a hard wood. Also consider how strong the wood walls will be compared to the plastic.

And now, what about fixing any mistakes or making any changes? The acrylic will be much more acceptable to cutting and carving than the wood, and you can re-weld or glue it together with a strong bond. Wood will tend to shatter or splinter. You will also be able to secure the acrylic to the base and itself better by nuts and bolts or even drilling & tapping them together. If you have never worked with urethane foam before, try a sample first. Most companies are willing to give you small pieces of each type for you to handle and carve. The urethane foam can be VERY gritty and it gets and sticks to everything. You have to wipe yourself down and vacuum yourself off before going into the house. It is abrasive and can cause eye/skin irritation. ( now how would I know that? ;} )

Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I have worked all of this out before. Thanks for putting up with my endless suggestions!

Scott

For brand names, urethane foam is urethane foam. Its more expensive because of the casting process and having to control the density of the foam. Using the foam for the base and any rocks is perfect, carve-able and durable.

Wow, Darth - what medium are you working in? Is that all clay? Is it portable? Does it weigh a ton? Is it hardened and did/does it shrink... what are your lessons learned?

I especially like the detail you acheived on the right side of the grounds by the green houses.
I just installed some LED lighting in my model as prep for a model railroad show the weekend after next. I'll take some shots and video at the show, but here's one I took in my basement a couple of days ago.

4scuxc.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, very respectable ICBT!

I know that was a lot of work. So, tell us the why's and wherefores, you know, a little behind the scenes for us...:popcorn

Wow, very respectable ICBT!

I know that was a lot of work. So, tell us the why's and wherefores, you know, a little behind the scenes for us...:popcorn

Ah SCOTT that WAS NOT ME - but DarthVader who did the model. And I must say it is VERY VERY COOL. Great detail and a superb effort at the whole thing - including the Quidditch arena and Hagrid's hut. SO cool. I can only HOPE mine is close to this quality. The grounds detail and the SCALE is incredible. DARTH what does that actually measure in feet and inches? It is just way cool and CGrahams with the lights in is awesome too. I'm about to order some fiberoptic lighting - well in excess of 1500 feet of fiberoptic cable and then may just double that order. We'll see. Mine is a bit on hold for the moment - so much going on and trying to prepare for retirement - then I'll have some time to start this build I hope - so by HOPEFULLY NEXT Summer - mine will be well on the way if not done. Have all Winter to do it. Still darwing plans and such for it so much still to do.

BUT Darthvader's model here is absolutely awesome. Mine won't likely include the Quidditch arena or Hagrid's - just want to use the space I have for more grounds of the castle so will eliminate or make them separate modules in case I ever display it anywhere then I can add all that in. BUT I WISH I had gotten this far with it. SIGH!! SOON I hope. So many things going on right now. On hold for a bit. BUT STILL anxious to do it still.

icanbuildthat

DarthVader73,

What music tracks did you use for your video? I use another set of music tracks from the films when I display my model, but I really like your selection, particularly the opening sequence with the vocals in the background - very dramatic.

-Cgraham

SGTGermany,

Thanks for that photo but yes, if you go to the Gallery on this site, I've uploaded many photos I've amassed in studying the structure for building this. I have about 900 photos of various shots of this model and other design models and structural details to go by. I'm prepared and ready - now I just need the time, the money and the space (still have a pool table to get rid of so I have the space). But there are at least a 100 or more photos I uploaded into the Gallery area of this site. But thanks for the heads up - saw that a long time ago which is why I wanted to build this - not just to films but seeing this model inspired.

icanbuildthat

SGTGermany,

Thanks for that photo but yes, if you go to the Gallery on this site, I've uploaded many photos I've amassed in studying the structure for building this. I have about 900 photos of various shots of this model and other design models and structural details to go by. I'm prepared and ready - now I just need the time, the money and the space (still have a pool table to get rid of so I have the space). But there are at least a 100 or more photos I uploaded into the Gallery area of this site. But thanks for the heads up - saw that a long time ago which is why I wanted to build this - not just to films but seeing this model inspired.

icanbuildthat

Right on! Seems like time money and space are always in short supply these days. :unsure

I'll be watching to see how your Hogwarts come along! :thumbsup

Oh, well then, I take it all back, ICBT!! :confused:$

No by all means don't take it back....it was just someone else's work and it's a stellar job by all means. It is just redirected and I take no credit for anything unless it's my work and I do it. Never have, never will. But certainly you don't need to take it back - I just gave it to the appropriate person. And I'm sure he thanks you for the kind words as I would had it been mine. :thumbsup

Right on! Seems like time money and space are always in short supply these days. :unsure

I'll be watching to see how your Hogwarts come along! :thumbsup

Thanks - I HOPE to get it started sometime soon - even right after the first of the year or before - depends. Yeah that money thing - I mean what's up with that all the time!!?? :confused I hate it. I just need to be rich is all - simple. As if!! TIME I'll have after I'm retired on January 1st. Lookin' ahead. DO keep an eye on it. I have such huge ideas - crazy, wacky and over-the-top but that's just the way I try to do things. Hope it works.

icanbuildthat

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back