MJOLNIR'S STUCK in the mud! My first THOR Movie Hammer Prop

SuperheroDIY

So I really like the way Mjolnir looked in the new THOR movie when it was stuck in the ground. It looked like some sort of powerful artifact or something. Since I recently got the blu-ray of the movie, I've had the ability to really see what it looked like and try to reproduce it!!

View attachment 68274

My problem was that I didn't want to spend too much money on this and I wanted to make sure it stayed light (as in not heavy) so I can move it around easily. I also don't own a Mjolnir replica so that was another problem.

So Target currently has a $10 version of the hammer that is for a Halloween costume. It's pretty good and it's only $10! I picked one of those up then went to Home Depot for some paint and some other supplies to build up the rock thing. The Target hammer is the right size and shape but the colors are pretty off in my mind - I don't like the handle especially, but the hammer is too dark and should be more silvery (to me):

View attachment 68275

So the paint from Home Depot was a necessity. I spent a good amount of time painting the handle and head the right colors ... kind of a pain but it turned out well.

I then got to work on the dirt mound! I used a wood base with pieces of foam secured to it with liquid nails for the frame:

View attachment 68277

I then covered the whole thing on expanding foam to make it look like ugly mud:

View attachment 68278

Then I sprayed adhesive on and threw on some dirt! Most of that fell off though ... So I just painted the whole thing brown and added a bit of black and gold for accent. Then I cut out a hole for the hammer and stuck the hammer in there!! Wala!!

I ink the piece looks great in my Batcave and didn't cost too much to build! Check out the pics:

View attachment 68279
View attachment 68280
View attachment 68281
View attachment 68282

I still need to get some leather but other than that it looks pretty good! The foam still looks a little weird but it's not bad.

Last edited:
Fantastic work Streeter. I'm planning on doing this aswell :) once my hammer gets here that is.
What's the deal with expanding foam? I've never seen it around - is it expensive and tough to work with?

Fantastic work Streeter. I'm planning on doing this aswell :) once my hammer gets here that is.
What's the deal with expanding foam? I've never seen it around - is it expensive and tough to work with?
you get it in every hardware shop

its used to isolate windows and doors, its sprayed into the holes between wall and window/door to close them and isolate

The foam is called GREAT STUFF. I buy mine at Home Depot, about $4-5 a can. It is pretty easy to use but it's really really sticky so you will need to use gloves. And you can't really shape it too much because of the stickiness - it basically just comes out and that's all you can do!

The foam is called GREAT STUFF. I buy mine at Home Depot, about $4-5 a can. It is pretty easy to use but it's really really sticky so you will need to use gloves. And you can't really shape it too much because of the stickiness - it basically just comes out and that's all you can do!

My local Wal Mart also sells the foam.

Btw, great work on the display. Simple and one heck of a conversation piece.....

Gonna try my hand at making this happen this week :)

Thanks for the tutorial, and the pics!!!

Any tips on Great Stuff usage? Spray side to side or up and down? Set the base on a lazy susan and spray and spin? :lol

Chris

Thanks for all the great comments, everyone!

As far as using GREAT STUFF ... I would get at least a couple cans of the stuff so you have enough. Don't wear nice clothes because it tends to get on them and will not come off. Wear gloves.

To put it on actually a lazy Susan is a great idea! Wish I had one for that! I just kind moved around it and tried to make sure it was all covered with the first layer (I did 2). I didn't follow a pattern because I wanted it to look random. Then for the second layer I just tried to shape it a bit I guess.

And I didn't do the top very well .. I built it up and then cut out the area for the hammer. It's tight so it scratches the paint on the hammer ... So if someone has a better way to do it I'm all ears (eyes)!

And good luck! I'm sure it'll look great!

Here you go. I had to pull the hammer out to take these which is why the top is now scratched up a bit. I should have made it removable without damage but oh well.

You can also see how "iffy" my paint on the unfortunately-textured handle was but again oh well! Not a biggie for me especially in the low light of the cave!

Haha sorry I didn't know it would get damaged. I was considering repainting one myself, your paint job definitely adds to the hammer especially the handle.

How quick does the expanding foam dry? I thought about doing this but wrapping the hammer in saran wrap once I got closer to the top and actually spraying the foam around it

Great stuff - 2.97 a can!

foam - Got 2 boards already!

Lazy susan - My brother married one! :lol (hitting the dollar store for this part)

Hammer of Thor! - NO FREAKING IDEA. No store around me seems to carry anything other than the kid sized one, and the toy that throws the blue projectile thingie. CRAP.

I have about 80% of everything I need (shy some brown paint) to get the project rolling, and I can't find the hammer :angry

It's the 10 buck disguise hammer right?

Chris

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back