mitcheg1's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Honey Lemon

Mitcheg1

Since my last two projects were for my son, I've promised to do a suit for my daughter next! We couldn't decide on what to do until we saw Big Hero 6 (Awesome Movie). She has decided she wants to be Honey Lemon. Unfortunately, I've found no existing pep files, so gonna have to stretch my skills and free hand this. Fingers crossed.

I started by wrapping a styrofoam head in saran wrap and covering it with clear tape. This allowed me to sketch out the shapes (check out Evil Ted Smith's YouTube channel for tips on this http://youtu.be/ODSNPYdvJRo). I then used this template to create a form out of upholstery foam.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417721427.198169.jpg

I then piece the Foam helmet on my mannequin head and again wrapped it in saran wrap and tape to create my templates for my EVA.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417721499.285239.jpg

Now it's time to glue everything together! I typically use hot glue, but see lots of other folks who do amazing work using contact cement. So I picked up some DAP Weldwood contact cement (can't find Barge here in Central Florida). I'll update when this step is complete.

NOTE: Sorry for the name change, but I want to enter this build into the 2015 Halloween Costume Contest.

Last edited:
Re: Honey Lemon - Big Hero 6

Made some progress! Don't like Contact Cement! Rather stock with high temp hot glue! Anyway, here's what I've got so far.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417732243.462604.jpg

Used the plastic wrap and tape method to get a template for the side details.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417732302.703987.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417732315.489889.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417732326.911471.jpg

Lots of progress today! Quite pleased for this being my first scratch build! Now for my least favorite part, filling, sanding and priming!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417792786.832627.jpg

Just scored some shoes that aren't perfect but should work. I like that they have the mesh look on the side, like honey lemon's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417797685.332460.jpg

I don't mind leaving it black, but would love to go with pink. Any advice on what I might do to dye the photo leather

Have I said how much I hate this part? Tried filling with Wood Glue, which I like cause it's more rigid, but doesn't clean-up as well. Then used drywall spackle for final fill. Cleans up easily, bit cracks easily when the foam flexes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417889000.884387.jpg

I've been wanting to make a Hiro helmet for myself and Honey Lemon for my daughter. This is looking fantastic so far.

Love the progress so far! I've been planning on making a GoGo costume for D23, but haven't quite figured out how to do it yet. I'll definitely be watching this. :)

Butt implants are your first step for an accurate Go Go :) . Loving the Honey Lemon, especially since it's a scratch build. Looking forward to seeing the completed version.

So I've been trying to figure out the design on Honey's purse. I've been viewing video and pictures I could find on line and here's what I've got so far. I think the elements are pretty close. I can't make out the text on the left and right side of the design. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.
Purse Heart.JPG

Arrggghhh! Was doing layers of primer and think I just found an incompatability between two different brands! I had a good base coat of white Krylon and sprayed a layer of gray rust-oleum automobile primer and got this "lovely" effect!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418092315.227173.jpg
I'm officially aggravated!

It's crackle paint! People pay big money for that effect! Usually on antique furniture though..

Good luck! Loving the build so far!

Last edited:

rust-oleum has fish oil in it - I would never use it for craft purposes as it does not mix well with others.

most auto-body shops hate the stuff as well- cause it messes with bondo

So I've been trying to figure out the design on Honey's purse. I've been viewing video and pictures I could find on line and here's what I've got so far. I think the elements are pretty close. I can't make out the text on the left and right side of the design. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.
View attachment 413504

vlcsnap-2014-12-09-15h14m32s169.pngvlcsnap-2014-12-09-15h14m38s246.pngvlcsnap-2014-12-09-15h14m52s129.png

Took a couple screen caps from a cam. Yours looks pretty accurate.

Those are basically what I was working from. Just can't make out the text next to the boxes right and left. And I forgot the shapes in the center.

Made some progress and started building the purse. Needed a break from priming and sanding!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418355678.568110.jpg

Printed my heart design mirrored on transparency paper and plan to attempt to backlight it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418355724.468393.jpg

Looks great!

For future if you are looking for Barge Cement in Central FL look at Tandy Leather in Winter Park. They have it, and in various sizes from small to huge containers.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back