Mini CRT displays in Brazil

mattropolis

Just got done watching Brazil. Forgot how great many of the props were in that movie!

I loved the tiny little 4" crt displays that they used. My engineer mind freaks out seeing the high voltage fly-backs and plugs open with actors hands so close!

Does anyone who still makes those or know where they might be found/bought scavanged?

Last edited:
Good point about the screen shots. Here are two I found online that show the little displays. I can see if I can borrow the DVD back to get better ones if needed...

Front view:
brazil_15.png

Side/back view:
brazil_2.png

Funny thing is you can replicate those using modern mini LCD's with the backing and other attaching hardware/frame as dressing. That way you could pipe in the video via a computer or MP3 player.

I cannot tell you about this exact crt, but know that broadcast television and closed circuit monitors, three abreast in nineteen inch rack setups, are likely donors, as are studio viewfinders from cameras in the eighties and nineties. All this stuff is just so much scrap nowadays and will not be collectible for another twenty years. We are about to surplus a three monitor setup at work that would give good working donor monitors for a tribute, for instance. And yes, mattropolis, enough HV on the aquadag to get your attention or to even free up your props at the estate sale the widow's holding.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back