MIND BLOWN! Wireless induction LED lighting....

JNordgren42

Sr Member
I came across this on a Gunpla Reddit post. People are now making wireless induction powered LED lights. No wiring necessary and I bet you could even integrate a microcontroller for flashing effects if you were technically inclined. I've been wracking my brain on how to light the magnetically attached command and passenger modules for my 11" Eagle Transporter and this could be exactly the ticket. The only down side is they may not work in extremely tight spaces since there needs to be room for the small induction coil integrated into the light, but I think that's a minor issue.

This is just one link on Amazon, but I see options on Aliexpress and other sites.

I have a few of these i keep near a wireless charger for fun lol. They're very cool but have to be pretty close to the coils for full power and if not the right voltage, they'll just blink.

These pop up every now and then - there are a lot of caveats to their operation and are not the silver bullet everyone wants in most cases. But they do have some uses.

I bought two different versions of these and they're so finicky as to be almost useless.
They do have some pretty big limitations, but they're a good for some specific things. For instance, I'm going to put the induction coil under the shuttle bay deck on my Refit Enterprise and put the LEDs inside clear shuttle prints. That way I can light the shuttles while still being able to move them around. It also works OK for builds that are low to the ground, especially if you can use a bigger, more powerful induction coil.

This was a very quick and dirty test with the kit travel pod which has a clear top half.
PXL_20240229_042104784 (1).jpg

And here is the induction coil taped under the deck. I was able to carefully bend it into an oval shape to fit and it doesn't seem to have much of an effect to the field.
PXL_20240229_042626965 (1).jpg

They do have some pretty big limitations, but they're a good for some specific things. For instance, I'm going to put the induction coil under the shuttle bay deck on my Refit Enterprise and put the LEDs inside clear shuttle prints. That way I can light the shuttles while still being able to move them around. It also works OK for builds that are low to the ground, especially if you can use a bigger, more powerful induction coil.

This was a very quick and dirty test with the kit travel pod which has a clear top half.
View attachment 1820104

And here is the induction coil taped under the deck. I was able to carefully bend it into an oval shape to fit and it doesn't seem to have much of an effect to the field.
View attachment 1820105
That's a terrific use-case for that! Great idea.

Does the induction coil give off any heat when used?
At least for the coil I have, any heat is negligible. The circuit board gets very slightly warm if you leave it on for an extended period. The Neopixel LEDs I'm using for most of the other lighting on my Enterprise get much warmer at full power.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back