Millennium Falcon Gold Dice

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Did anyone see this story?

Star Wars Episode 7: Gold-plated £22 dice from eBay to go in Falcon | Metro News

Assuming the story is legitimate:

The guy on ebay selling the dice as well as claiming the sale is selling them as:
PAIR OF 24K STAR WARS GOLD PLATED LUCKY DICE / MILLENNIUM FALCON / HAN SOLO
** AS SEEN IN THE SUN NEWSPAPER / STAR WARS ARTICLE **
$_57.JPG

Specifications:
Gold content > ( 24k gold plated / layered )
( 1.6 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.6 cm )
( Average 31 grams / 1 troy oz )

I was thinking this might be a good opportunity to pick up an exact copy of a screen used prop. However it does not appear that these dice are exclusive to this seller.

So my question to my fellow collectors: Assuming I am correct, what is the best source for these dice?

For instance, if these are the same dice on Amazon, here are a list of sellers.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi, been searching google the past day or so out of interest to see where the story had spread to, and have just spotted your post, so I couldn't help but open an account here to let you know the story is legitimate since you are keen to get hold of some, I am the seller who sold them to Pinewood. The main reason I am advertising these on ebay is because I am a huge Star Wars fan and know that other fans would love to have a pair of these dice to own which have came from the same stock that the Pinewood dice came from.

So I just thought I'd let you to know that the ones for sale are not just exact copies, but are in fact taken from the exact same box of the dice that I sent them.

About 80 or so pairs left :)

I have a memory of the last time I had something metal hanging from my rearview...

It led to my pulling them down due to noise. Very cool though.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I never noticed the dice in the movies. However in 1984, a year after the release of Return of the Jedi, I saw them in the Marvel-produced comic Star Wars #81: Jawas of Doom. It centered around the first depiction of Boba Fett's escape from the Sarlacc. The story takes place right after the events of Return of the Jedi. At the beginning of the story, Han is on Endor and climbs aboard the Falcon for the first time after the battle. He noted that the dice are still there. That is the first time I knew about the dice. I thought it was just a comic thing but later when I saw the movies again, I noticed them dangling.

extrait4marvel-star-wars-81--jawas-of-doom.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question about the original dice prop used in the ORIGINAL TRILOGY. See this image: http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02000/SNN1603FALCO--1_2000692a.jpg

Is that close up and actual close up of the prop or some sort of idealized image to illustrate the prop? The reason I ask is because I was not aware of the existence of clear image of the original dice.

Close-up's looks like BS to me. And I think the originals look silver.

Found the answer: That image was made for the CCG.
Han's dice - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Here's another picture with the dice. You will notice how easy they get lost in the lights in the background.

This was a sort of easter egg since Bob Falfa (Ford) in American Graffiti had dice hanging on the mirror in his 55 Chevy. As for the original prop, I don't remember hearing that they were gold. I thought they were fuzzy dice.

This was a sort of easter egg since Bob Falfa (Ford) in American Graffiti had dice hanging on the mirror in his 55 Chevy. As for the original prop, I don't remember hearing that they were gold. I thought they were fuzzy dice.

All the references have them as gold. I don't really doubt that they are gold but I also understand anyones doubt since all those references are EU and they could be built on an assumption and its hard to distinguish between gold and silver on film at that resolution. I don't know that i ever heard a LFL speak of dice color.

You can tell they are some sort of reflective metal. Take a look starting at 45 seconds in:

However what we do know is that JJ Abrams thinks they were gold and the new trilogy will have gold dice hanging in the Falcon.

Last edited by a moderator:
There they look silver.

Might have to pick up some gold dice just in case the new movies are good. :p

All the references have them as gold. I don't really doubt that they are gold but I also understand anyones doubt since all those references are EU and they could be built on an assumption and its hard to distinguish between gold and silver on film at that resolution. I don't know that i ever heard a LFL speak of dice color.

You can tell they are some sort of reflective metal. Take a look starting at 45 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwevTdKL-tk

However what we do know is that JJ Abrams thinks they were gold and the new trilogy will have gold dice hanging in the Falcon.

Star Wars (1977) - Trivia - IMDb

A small pair of metal dice can be seen hanging in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon as Chewbacca makes preparations to depart from Mos Eisley. Set designer Roger Christian claims he added the pair of dice hanging in the Millennium Falcon cockpit (briefly seen when Chewbacca bumps his head on them as he first enters) because there were dice hanging in Harrison Ford's car in American Graffiti (1973). However, Ford's character had a skull hanging from his rear-view mirror. Ron Howard had the fluffy dice. They don't appear in subsequent scenes, because they were stolen from the set and not replaced.

Read the link to the news story I put in the first post.

Ah, and here I thought I could smoke out a copycat by asking what part of Pinewood visited him and bought the dice :p So everthing does seem legit.
What makes me wonder, though is, why the heck would the props buyer (if it wasn´t just an art department intern) tell him that they were going to be used in a movie? Ah, I guess everyone´s just too excited to work on a "fun movie to work on" ;) It does seem that the mood on the production must be kind of upbeat if even the suppliers of small props are informed about what their goods are going to be used for ;) I can imagine that it does bring a smile to a person´s face if you can tell them "hey, your stuff will be up on the big screen next to harrison ford!" Except for the guy who constructed the MF door, I guess ...

If anyone has the ability to ask Roger Christian what was the color of the original dice, they should do it. Esquire recently did a story on Roger. No mention of the dice but a great article. Everything else I find in regards to the dice are usually part of some Star Wars little known facts/trivia page and are written up all the same way. They simply state "dice".

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back