Mike Salzo 37.5 TOS BSG ?

Yep I know what your saying, to do this kit right it takes a little getting things ready for the build, this also is what I"m doing. I am thinking on how I want to do the display of it I know I'm getting one of those mounts that Robiwon showed me this way you can change positions of the BSG , for viewing pleasures lot of studying to do on this. Thanks Jim

One of the things that scares me and yes I said scares me is the lighting of it,I no nothing when it comes to working with wiring or LED's,I do know what I want it is just figuring out how to do it and do it right,The main body of the ship left and right side and the top front I want it to be a Fiber Optics so I am looking at getting at least 20 feet of each of these for Fiber Optics..the first one is http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowcable.htm#32 and the 2nd one is this http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowcable.htm#64 now the reason I would be ordering so much is I have another resin kit to do it is the Randy Cooper Star Wars Avenger Star Destroyer http://randycoopermodels.com/content/avenger-star-destroyer....Now back to the lighting on the BSG I also have to do is the lighting of the rear engines,I still have not figured that out let but I pretty sure I will have to do it with 5mm LED's,I also have to be able to run all the wires done the pedestal it will be mounted on into the base and be able to get power to it from a wall plug outlet,I will not do battery power..

I also just bought a very nice Base that I will use for my BSG it has a really cool lighting effects on it.When I get will post some pictures of it..

Clarence

Last edited:
Yep I'm in your shoes on the lighting, Ive light up other model but nothing to this build. Ebay has alot of fiber optics which Ill most likely use but I also want to power mine with out a battery system. So there is going to be alot of studying on this, on all the builds there's not really any good pics of the wiring which will help if you could see how it is all ran. Yes this is a new animal that we have to tame. lets just all help each other out on the fiber optics and lighting of this great model.... Thanks Jim

Hello everyone I need some help on Fiber Optics.

I am going to order the 32 strands and 64 strands Multi strand Fiber Optics,I do have 2 more question when I run all my FO to all the windows I have what size drill bit would you say I would need for the .50 and the .265 to drill out all these windows.

I would like to know in a standard size please,I would also like to know when I run the FO to the windows I am going to have them stick out at least a 1 inch to a 1.5 inches so this way I can paint the whole model then just trim them after.

So I would like to know what would you recommend I use to hold all the FO in place,I heard you can hot glue them but being these FO would be very thin I be afraid they would melt so I do not want that to happen. so can I use CA Glue or any other type of glue to hold them in place so they do not come out of the windows?

Thank You
Clarence

Darth,

Just take a piece of cardboard or styrene and experiment with the various drill bits until you find the correct size. Yes you can use CA glue. I would use the gel/thick type and CA kicker.

Yes Vador and Lear, I'm following along, I cant wait to get mine,but yes I can for there is much to learn I'm not a Jedi yet. I would pull your optics out about a inch an a half this should be good this is what Ive done on smaller projects it works fine after painting you can snip them off right up to the ship, there's a cool tool that I use to do this its kind of like toe nail clipers but they are more like wire cutters pliers you can find these at doller store in the womens section, they are kind of spring loaded, just great for the job. Walmart also carries them. I will have to follow along on wiring and lighting, someone please post some good pics of the wiring being done, this will be a big help on the real technical wire job.Thanks Alot Jim

Yes Vador and Lear, I'm following along, I cant wait to get mine,but yes I can for there is much to learn I'm not a Jedi yet. I would pull your optics out about a inch an a half this should be good this is what Ive done on smaller projects it works fine after painting you can snip them off right up to the ship, there's a cool tool that I use to do this its kind of like toe nail clipers but they are more like wire cutters pliers you can find these at doller store in the womens section, they are kind of spring loaded, just great for the job. Walmart also carries them. I will have to follow along on wiring and lighting, someone please post some good pics of the wiring being done, this will be a big help on the real technical wire job.Thanks Alot Jim

You know I may have one of 2 tools that will work for snipping the Fiber Optics this is what I have for the tools..

http://www.megahobby.com/professionalphotoetchscissorsxuron.aspx

http://www.megahobby.com/modelerssidecuttertray.aspx

Those will do fine, some cool tools. post some pics when you can, I hope we get some help with the wiring and lighting. Someone will post some pics of this part of the project. Thanks Jim

By the way, are you getting one of cougars bases this will be nice. This base is super the way it is designed. Thanks Jim

By the way, are you getting one of cougars bases this will be nice. This base is super the way it is designed. Thanks Jim

Yes I am getting one..I really like the lighting effects it had so I just had to have it..I may add a little something on the front side for lighting but I am not sure yet..

Clarence

I know what your saying, this is a cool base I like it my self, I'm going to try something like the pana vise Robiwon showed me, I think this would also work on this base. I am still studying on which way Ill go here. Like I said your getting a very nice display base . Thanks Jim

I know what your saying, this is a cool base I like it my self, I'm going to try something like the pana vise Robiwon showed me, I think this would also work on this base. I am still studying on which way Ill go here. Like I said your getting a very nice display base . Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim,it surely will be a nice Base..

Clarence

Yes, Your Most Welcome, Have you thought about the pana vise? You could put right where the model is attached into the threaded coupling then you would have the pipe going down to the base, this way you can change positions, my self think this would be very cool with Cougars base the way the colors would reflect on the Galactica. I really like this base it makes for a great display, might be seeing bout getting me one. Thanks Jim

Yes, Your Most Welcome, Have you thought about the pana vise? You could put right where the model is attached into the threaded coupling then you would have the pipe going down to the base, this way you can change positions, my self think this would be very cool with Cougars base the way the colors would reflect on the Galactica. I really like this base it makes for a great display, might be seeing bout getting me one. Thanks Jim

Jim do you have a link to the pana vise?,I have to take a look at it to see how it works..

Clarence

Jim do you have a link to the pana vise?,I have to take a look at it to see how it works..

Clarence
Yep, just go to first page of cougar's build scroll down Robiwon has p pic of the panavise with his x-wing attached to it but you have to click on the link, this should give you a view of what it looks like. Thanks Jim

Yep, just go to first page of cougar's build scroll down Robiwon has p pic of the panavise with his x-wing attached to it but you have to click on the link, this should give you a view of what it looks like. Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim,I was doing a search for his panavise but I kept coming up with something that looked totally different then the one he used,I keep looking..

Thanks
Clarence

Your Welcome Clarence, I know this is going to be one part of my build, and I'm still thinking on one of these base's. Thanks Jim

Can anyone give me a ball park on how much the ship is selling for? I've requested some info but haven't got any feed back.

thx.

C1

Its worth every cent For Sure, I'm going with the fiber optics size Mike suggested in his build just getting the just of the leds and how to wire them, I will spray all the insides of the BSG with flat black rattle can spray paint this has always helped with light blocking for me on other builds, I will also use the full length rods to help with any sag which I dont see this as any problem but I'm going to do this step anyways. Like Clarence I have been on collect mode on glues and build equipment to use on the build, by the way Clarence if you have any airbrush questions I can help Ive airbrushed all my life as I said I do alot of custom painting just one of my airbrushes cost a little under 1500 buckaroos. Thanks Jim

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back