Metroid Prime 3 : Samus P.E.D Suit (WIP)

Pseudonym

57537909.png

Howdy friendly folks of The RPF :)! I'm in the beginning stages of my next project, which as the title implies, is Samus's P.E.D Suit from Metroid Prime 3. I've been inspired by so many of the great Varia and Light Suits out there, I wanted to give this a go! This will be a long and slow process, and probably won't have this near done until this time next year. My updates will probably be sporadic and also slow, just so I don't spazz out in trying to make some unrealistic deadline.

I did a female Titanfall suit last year, which ended up coinciding with crunch at work...it got ugly, for myself because I had too much going on. I made some mistakes and rushed some parts, so I'm trying to not do that again. This was a mix of 3D printed parts, a flight suit ,and a lot of airsoft gear. Blatant Nerf gun was so I didn't get shot in the face by NYC cops / security at NYCC yoink my "gun".

SR2C2304.jpgP1030368.jpgSR2C2326.jpg

I'm planning on 3D printing most of the suit using rigid and flexible materials so I can (hopefully) strike some of the more iconic Samus poses. I'll be doing all the modeling in Maya using a scaled proxy model of myself to check fit pieces. After I get through all that goodness, I'll bumble through trying to figure out lighting and whether or not I'll be doing a really "Corrupted" P.E.D. suit, or a not so corrupted.

mp3c-samus-ped-suit-design.jpg

Mpt4.PNG

I have enough to start, though I have some questions for fellow Metroid fans out there. I can't seem to locate decent reference material for the side and back, just to get a better feel for the details. Someone made a lil' ol' papercraft which has all of what I need, though that stinker has vanished off safe places of the web. My Wii is also...somewhere, so I'm not really able to capture shots from it. Does anyone know of a place where this file may exist still? Worse case is I just press on with what I have. So, here we goooooooooo!

Last edited:
Re: Metroid Prime 3 : Samus P.E.D Suit

Hi Pseudo,

great choice for a costuming project,but man! - what a lot of detail.I am not familiar with the game,although I have come across its cover many a time,and I'm a big fan of Japanese Animation,so it's somehere in my area of interest.
Have you checked youtube for Metoid builds? I've seen a similar suit on there at least once.

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your project and I am looking forward to your WIP thread.

Thanks George! Hahaha yeah, I tend to just go for over the top when it comes to my hobbies. I love me some Anime too! Though I think I'm an old fart, Macross Plus and Gundam Stardust memory are some of my favorites! What are yours?

I've checked out a couple builds on here and took some notes :).

I've done other full armor suits, they were just always cut for dudes that were 6' tall. So I always had to cut down the kits I got.

Thank you so much for the well wishes!

You're welcome ! I know what you mean when it comes to hobbies and dedication.I scared the you-know-what out of my guests every time they saw the mannequin in the side chamber :lol,so I moved it to my storage room for now.I have dedicated a corner in that room to costuming where I tucked away a workbench.

Old fart,eh? :lol I guess that makes me a senior citizen at age 35.As cliche as it may sound,I love Dragonball / Dragonball Z, the Macross Plus movie I had on videotape (love the themesong from that movie as well), Appleseed,but also Studio Ghibli material such as Spirited Away.

I love full armour suits,and so for now I have (sort of) composed a "body" for my first WIP: The Beetle MKII from Marvel comics.

@ George: hahaha, an old fart and a senior citizen! Oh man VHS tapes, what a blast from the past! DB and the Studio Ghibli films will always have a place in my heart :)! My friends are all uber nerds, though I still get self conscious about telling them what I'm up to. I'm not familiar with the Beetle armor, though it'll be great to see your progress!

@party: Yeah, it will be interesting! :) All the paneling work will lend itself well since everything will need to be separated out so I can print the parts. As other Varia suit builders have pointed out, Samus's proportions just don't work! I think I'll be bashing my head against a wall a few times as I go. I LOVE your shredder build BTW!

I totally forgot about that suit, that's going to be a lot of work. Good luck, I can't wait to see the end result!

@ George: hahaha, an old fart and a senior citizen! Oh man VHS tapes, what a blast from the past! DB and the Studio Ghibli films will always have a place in my heart :)! My friends are all uber nerds, though I still get self conscious about telling them what I'm up to. I'm not familiar with the Beetle armor, though it'll be great to see your progress!

@party: Yeah, it will be interesting! :) All the paneling work will lend itself well since everything will need to be separated out so I can print the parts. As other Varia suit builders have pointed out, Samus's proportions just don't work! I think I'll be bashing my head against a wall a few times as I go. I LOVE your shredder build BTW!

Thanks. I can't wait till I'm done. It's almost there.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Red29: Poor P.E.D. suit! Hahah though yes, a lot of work is ahead of me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Simply wow.
ITs a very....detailed suit.

Hmm..as for referance material. How about considering Toy Figures like this one.

http://www.jeuxvideo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/FIG-IPN-3175.jpg

If you can work out atleast the base form of the shapes, then detail in the top layer. It could help you. Toy figurine collectors often post numerous pics from various angles in poses to see how the shapes are.

Found this for you,Pseudo:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=etG9W3bqW1Q[/video]

I hope it helps with regard to the sides and back of the suit.
Also: youtube has walkthrough videos of the game Metroid 3,so you can pause and check the suit without having to retrieve your Wii :D

@ Tony & George: Thanks so much for the reference links :) I'll put these to use for sure!

I have the helmet roughed in, though Maya LT may not be the way to go.

Anywho, here's the uber roughed helmet :). Probably won't get to this again until next weekend:
HELMET_ROUGH01_051015.jpg

Last edited:
Blender is a good one mainly 'cause it's free, the UI is kind of similar to the likes of Maya, Cinema 4D and 3D Studio Max.

Just depends what you want to learn at the end of the day, teaching yourself MAYA will get a lot further in life (career wise...) I guess if that's your thing as its the "industry standard".

I personally prefer Lightwave 3D for creating assets for print 'cause the Modelling tools in it are so good it's nuts.

Random rant aside, great start, awesome concept! You can wing it a bit with proportions using stilted boots and slightly longer thigh and calf pieces to make up for the shoulders etc
(also this thread is Frakkin' awesome: 3D Printed Samus Varia)

Stay Frosty!

/M

@George: Blender isn't a bad program, I'd just have to get used to it.

@Matchbox: Thanks homie, I appreciate the info :)
The stilts aren't a bad idea! I may be prone to face planting, though no guts, no front teeth, I mean no glory! OH yes I saw her amazing goodness, shes a very kind person as well!

Last edited:
Zbrush is a good bit of fun, don't know how good it is with the geometry for printing :)

Wasn't really input more just going off on a tangent XD Making things in real life to wear is way better then having a 3d model of it (though now you can print said model so it's kind of a moot point)...

IMG_20140925_204247.jpg

I made a pair of these for my current Comicon thing, Wooden support in the heel and a foam slope.. haven't face planted yet (yet)...

../...||
./....||
/.....||

^ Something like that (with a shallower slope)... like a big stiletto/platform shoe, adds about 9".

Anyhoo keep it up!

/M

Last edited:
Great titanfall kit ! I too was at nycc comic con last year with my Titan pilot suit . Also had me fake prop weapon taken :( lame security guards . The year before I brought in my aliens smart gun in . Last year couldn't even bring in a pistol ? Can't wait to see your samus progress . My daughter wants to be samus so I'm going to begin her armor soon . Keep up the work can't wait to see the finished product

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
@Matchbox: Well depends on who you talk to. Everyone has preferred methods and I don't snub my nose at anything because they all have value. Modeling and 3D printing comes easier to me, and it's just more efficient for my particular situation since I have a printer :).
Das Boot looks pretty good! What are you making? oh and the "Santa dies After Drug Bender" is hilarious!

@mattrendar: Ohhhh! Oddly someone else at NYCC told me they saw another Titanfall costume, I'm guessing that was you! Yours came out great as well!! That's so awesome your daughter wants to be Samus! You'll have to post pics of that project as it happens, if ya can! You're Colonial Marine / Smart gun is legit too!

Exactly, everything has it's uses! I'm waiting on a 3D printer with a decent sized printing bed (at least 40cmx40cm) before I invest in one it has way more practical scientific applications XD

I've made/finished recently a Halo Reach Spartan (Jun the sniper guy).

And kids over here aren't as gullible to believe in Santa, that or we tell them that hes fake... soooo it's a hard business you know :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back