Metroid Dark Samus Cosplay

Phantomdgn

Well I started this concept back in March with the helmet and then summer hit and it was just too busy for me to keep working on it. But now that Halloween is fast approaching i think it’s time for me to get back on the ball. I've been a fan of the Metroid series ever since the original came out. But i did not want to do the whole cross dress thing so i decided to go for the Dark Samus from Prime 3 as it was never determined if Dark Samaus was a girl or not. This will be another free hand build. Any paper templates you see are hand made in order to create symmetry. My goal is to have this be an EVA foam build with fiberglass and automotive paint. These are the reference photos I will be using.

Attachments

• 250px-Dark_Samus_mp3_Artwork.png
    250px-Dark_Samus_mp3_Artwork.png
    91 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Dark smamus.jpg
    Dark smamus.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 467
  • ds-back.JPG
    ds-back.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 323
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 186
I haven't forgotten about posting my wip :p I'm just fully engulfed in this project right now. Its about 9 days till Halloween and I'll have all the pieces made by tonight! So the rest of the week is flabberglassing and sanding. I just did a test of the lighting for the chest. I cut a hole in the top layer of Eva foam and glued it to a solid piece on the bottom with a group of led lights sandwiched in between. I then put clear outdoor silicone in the hole and let it dry. The results are very promising! I will post pictures soon!

P1070196.JPGP1070236.JPGP1070259.JPGP1070272.JPG

Fabrication is in the final stage! I just have to make a hip piece as well as final tweaks then i can start fiberglasing! Its going to be cut very very close for Halloween but I'm hoping with the power sander I'll be able to knock the sanding out in a day. I also stooped by an electronics store and picked up the hardware for the mic system. The helmet is so loud with the exhaust fans going its really hard to hear anyone whos talking to me. So i picked up a mic, and amp that i will hard wire into the chest and have a headphone jack i can hook up a set of ear buds to.
I was able to take some more photos today as well and here they are!

P1070292.JPGP1070294.JPGP1070299.JPGP1070305.JPGP1070307.JPG

Yesterday i started to pre-fit the fiberglass material to the costume to make it easier to apply the resin. I forgot how much i HATE working with fiberglass >< . I just have to cut and glue the strips on the chest piece then i can begin resin. It will be nice to take a break from the bike parts of the costume and work on the electrical while the resin cures. One thing i learned from fiberglassing last years costume is to take your time around the joints because if one of them is off and it cures, your gonna have a hell of a time making it fit again. Secondly apply the resin carefully, this will help reduce your sanding time. and finally if i can i will be re-enforcing the cavities on the costume to help prevent them from deforming when the resin gets hot as it cures. Sure getting teh costume fabricated from nothing was frustrating but i'm so worried about fiberglassing the pieces now that the fabrication seems like ez street.

OH and my work just got in these jumper batteries for cars and bikes!!! (i work at a harley shop) This battery pack is perfect for what i need to do. the frustrating part will be wiering it all up so i can turn the costume on from within the arm cannon. It's the perfect size and is a lithium gel so it last for freakin ever! I got all the connectors form an electronics store and while my resin is curing i will be pre-making the wiring harness for the costume.

P1070314.JPGP1070315.JPGP1070316.JPGP1070317.JPG

Well its November 1st and i have tons more pictures to up load so please bear with the load times :) I learned a lot from this costume, probably more than i learned from my Starcraft costume from last year. The main idea that i found was that fiberglass is not always the best option ><. The next costume i'm going to be completing will be all foam or foam with wonderflex plastics.

View attachment 249824View attachment 249825View attachment 249826View attachment 249830View attachment 249831View attachment 249832View attachment 249833View attachment 249834View attachment 249835View attachment 249836P1070344.JPGP1070348.JPGP1070349.JPGP1070350.JPGP1070352.JPGP1070353.JPGP1070354.JPGP1070355.JPGP1070356.JPGP1070357.JPGP1070358.JPGP1070359.JPGP1070361.JPGP1070362.JPG

I love this build. I just finished my Samus Helmet today and I want to mod a cast into Dark Samus, but I am so intimidated by the intricate armor. How were you able to size your templates with the sloping of the suit? I am very good at the straight edges but I can't gauge slopes.

PS This is my helmet with tubes and visor, still need LEDs. Oh, and this is a year coming, so let's hope the rest of my armor goes faster, but doing your whole suit in just about a month is insane, props man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400018921.048114.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400018921.048114.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back